UK Underground, Minimal House, Deep Tech
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 14-10-2015, 09:46 AM   #1
StevieBest
Learning The Ropes
StevieBest will become famous soon enough
Liverpool
MC Status: 60
Icon7 UK Underground, Minimal House, Deep Tech

Hi All,

Just wondering who has any DJ/Producing experience within the underground house scene in the UK?

I have been DJing for quite some time now but just struggling to get out there and get the ball rolling..

Has anyone got any useful tips to share with us about your experiences, Highs/Low's, Mistakes and achievements, What milestones you set yourself etc.

I'm sure there are millions of people out there just like me who need steering in the right direction.

Any help would be much appreciated!

If any of you get a chance could you check out my Mixes on soundcloud and give me any feedback/tips.

soundcloud.com/steviebest

Thank You

Advertisements

StevieBest is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #2
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463455
Re: UK Underground, Minimal House, Deep Tech

You won't read this on any official websites but this is how many household names got started over the last 20 years in the UK.

Find a venue that's capable of holding 100 but feels good enough with only 30 in, this could be a the back room of a pub, social club, snooker hall. I once went to a great night where the promoters found a curry house not doing that well and persuaded them to clear out the tables and make sure the bar is well stocked.

Team up with 2-3 other DJ's/promoters and put on a free night. If the venue requires payment or you need to rent a sound system, pool your money. The party has to be free to attend, even charging a quid and people won't come.

Make sure someone is on hand for party treats, even if just for an hour at the start. Do not get involved yourself in anyway but this is what your guests want and will be the key to your success. If that person does well out of it, agree a donation to the sound system and decor for future parties

Promote forthcoming parties but don't overdo it, instead make out the previous parties were the best thing ever. Which to be fair, 60 people in a basement, all off it, no security, great music and good vibes all round, usually is.

Keep going for a year, two years. By this time you'll have possibly fallen out with each other or certianly bickering where to take the night next. You'll have got too big, had a couple of moody parties and a few shadey people will have popped up.

By this time you'll have two options, either go legit with your night. Move to a proper venue, entrance fee, bouncers, book keeping, branding etc etc.

Sack it all off and approach already established nights who will no doubt of heard of you by now and salivating at the crowd booking you will bring.

Either way, you'll be on the first rung and after that will depend on your agent, how many bookings you want to do and if you do keep a hand in the promotion side of things - how successful your night is.

After this though make sure every bio and interview afterwards has blurb along the lines of "SB, cut his teeth at the now legendary [Name] club. "Yeah, those parties were immense, a bit amateurish as we learning along the way but you know the spirit was there, we didn't even charge to get in. They were crazy too, if you know what I mean, (chuckles), I'd rather not say too much if you get me, but they were special, special times."

Seriously, that's the blueprint and you can buy me a drink when you're headlining Space.
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 10:41 AM   #3
StevieBest
Learning The Ropes
StevieBest will become famous soon enough
Liverpool
MC Status: 60

WOW! thanks a lot for the detailed explanation, I think it is a great idea but unfortunatly I'm from Liverpool and to get somewhere in the city centre like that is extremely hard! is there a certain way to go about on how to start your own night in existing clubs, or is there a way to approach the bar staff/managers etc. Ive tried with a place and I'm not getting very far with it. Its the initial start up point which I'm struggling with the most.

Ask a club can you start there night... They haven't heard of you or your a no name... Vicious circle :/
StevieBest is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463455

Forget clubs and bars at this stage, build up your own crowd and make yourself in demand

Do you have 2-3 other mates that are DJs or maybe one that's not a DJ but is interested in promoting?

Between you all, do you know 30 mates that would want to come to a party ?

Do you know a dealer?

If that's the case, set the decks up in a room, could even be a private party at this stage and take it from there. The formula really has not changed in the last 20 years just make sure to give your parties a name and stick to a similar theme and roster.

Advertisements

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote