Preamp for K240 + audio interface
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 21-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #1
killy.ridols
Learning The Ropes
killy.ridols is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Icon5 Preamp for K240 + audio interface

Hello there, everyone!
Recently i bought AKG K240 Studio for mixing purposes etc.
I don't have proper amplifier yet. I have two audio interfaces: M-Audio M-Track (USB) and Infrasonic Deux (FireWire).
Seems like M-Audio's headphone preamp is a total shit, cause when it comes to a deep bass (>40 Hz i presume) my K240's begin to distort and i must turn my volume knob almost at full to get more then average loudness level. Not much of distortion, but still, it is impossible to mix with that.
I tried my Infrasonic - and i have much more volume "headroom" and don't get that distortion (but sometimes i do, but it is not a problem for mixing anymore).
Seems like Infrasonic's preamp a little bit better. But Infrasonic is more laggy in terms of latency.

So, i can't find headphones preamp specificaitions for any of these interfaces.
That's why i want to purchase HP amplifier. I would like to connect a preamp to M-Audio and then my headphones to preamp.
What Output Power is minimum for my K240's? By minimum i mean the minimum when i will not get any distortion and will have a decent amount of volume "headroom".
I was looking at Schiit Magni 2's specs:

Quote:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 1.8W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel

Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

Do you think i need that much for K240?
But i think that Magni 2 is a bit expensive for me. I would like to get an amp for 60-80$.
So, what's my preferrable Output Power? )))
Or maybe you can just name a few of preamps i should look for?
Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

killy.ridols is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 12:25 AM   #2
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060
Re: Preamp for K240 + audio interface

First what is the impedance of your cans?..two your cans will never give you the low end information you want without turning them up.Very few if any can give you an accurate repsonse below 50..even with the brands that do it is hit or miss that poor little driver begs for mercy. easy fix is ANY headphone amp..even a $50 ART will give you the added boost in level.Waste of any kind preamp really. Since you are just looking to boost line level output.Hell even a Behringer will give you waht you are after since it just for cans. and sounds also like you are mixing up some terminlogy now that you mention latency..and what a pre amp actually does.

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #3
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

If youre ready to spend 80 bucks then, dude, just fork over the other 19 dollars and get the magni or magni 2. Last thing you want to happen is to get something that will get you there almost. The magni will come through in spades with minimal noise and do exactly what you want it to do ever time. A few more bucks to me seems a small price to pay for quality.

I almost got a magni once, then didn't and wished I had. Man was I pissed.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #4
killy.ridols
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Jaketed View Post
First what is the impedance of your cans?..two your cans will never give you the low end information you want without turning them up.Very few if any can give you an accurate repsonse below 50..even with the brands that do it is hit or miss that poor little driver begs for mercy. easy fix is ANY headphone amp..even a $50 ART will give you the added boost in level.Waste of any kind preamp really. Since you are just looking to boost line level output.Hell even a Behringer will give you waht you are after since it just for cans. and sounds also like you are mixing up some terminlogy now that you mention latency..and what a pre amp actually does.
55om is an impedance of my K240's.
91 dBSPL/mW sensitivity.
I wasn.t mixing latency with anything else in that post. I just said, that Infrasonic's preamp is much better quality but this audio-interface gives me a lot of latency when i want to record a guitar or drums in MASCHINE and i prefer to use M-Audio, but its preamp sucks badly

And it is not just about level. As you may read in my post i get a DISTORTION on M-audio and i don't have it on Infrasonic.
So, i need to get rid of distortion, cause i think that this distortion appears because of low-power headphone pre-amp in my M-Audio
Old 21-06-2015, 06:30 AM   #5
killy.ridols
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
If youre ready to spend 80 bucks then, dude, just fork over the other 19 dollars and get the magni or magni 2. Last thing you want to happen is to get something that will get you there almost. The magni will come through in spades with minimal noise and do exactly what you want it to do ever time. A few more bucks to me seems a small price to pay for quality.

I almost got a magni once, then didn't and wished I had. Man was I pissed.
Alright i'll start looking for one

If anyone got more ideas - feel free to share
Old 21-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Str8Jaketed
Str8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MCStr8Jaketed is a savage MC
GET OFF MY LAWN!
MC Status: 33060

Quote:
Originally Posted by killy.ridols View Post
55om is an impedance of my K240's.
91 dBSPL/mW sensitivity.
I wasn.t mixing latency with anything else in that post. I just said, that Infrasonic's preamp is much better quality but this audio-interface gives me a lot of latency when i want to record a guitar or drums in MASCHINE and i prefer to use M-Audio, but its preamp sucks badly

And it is not just about level. As you may read in my post i get a DISTORTION on M-audio and i don't have it on Infrasonic.
So, i need to get rid of distortion, cause i think that this distortion appears because of low-power headphone pre-amp in my M-Audio
The distortion is coming from your outputs levels you are out of the analog sweet spot is all.Pushing the Maudio pre causes the distortion as it does with any pre amp.

Foldback(output to input) will solve all latency issues down to zero latency..works the same way as monitor sub mixing does.

The Magni like RFJ stated will work wonders if that is of any concern.He knows what he is saying.It is a good piece of kit and fill the need amply.

If you know your cans and where they lack that is more important that what you are not hearing to be honest.IF you are working on lots of low freq information and your space allows it a set of monitors will give you a far better idea than cans ever could.Not saying you can;t I do it all the time with cans just food for thought.

Quick tip..never trust a Spec sheet..those are made by the marketing dept not the QC people..trust your ears over spec sheets. for what your describing you need to look at the THD,THD+N and STNR..

Good luck.

Last edited by Str8Jaketed; 21-06-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
“A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”Frank Zappa

“Hell is full of musical amateurs.” -George Bernard Shaw
Str8Jaketed is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote