Snare drum reverb
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
MonoReaction
Granular Poster
MonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to all
Brasília
MC Status: 610
Snare drum reverb

Do you have any tips on how to get this long, deep, but pleasant reverb sound that Kevin Martin uses on the snare drum?

The sound changes on the chorus, and you can clearly hear some spring reverb on that sound, but I'm curious about how to get the first reverb sound. The snare comes in at 0:32

Advertisements

------------------
MonoReaction is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728
Re: Snare drum reverb

Get good snare. EQ shape as necessary.

EQ boost snare into a dist. Emphazise lower area.

Clean this up.

Add reverb. (EQ after)

Resample down.

EQ shape snare into a new dist. Remove unwanted stuff.

Mix with song.

-> Further processing if desired.

In this case some complex delay on snare hit. It almost sounds like a spring reverb. If that is the case that should go before the resample. You can keep the original reverb before the sping reverb, it works but not always desired.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
MonoReaction (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Layer a "regular snare" with white noise. Let any subtractive synth create the white noise, adjust color/filtering of noise to taste, adjust length/snare tail (amplitude sustain) to taste and run the noise through a reverb. Adjust reverb to taste (doesn't have to be long).

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
MonoReaction (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 08:27 PM   #4
MonoReaction
Granular Poster
MonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to allMonoReaction is a name known to all
Brasília
MC Status: 610

Thanks for the tips, guys!
I'm going to try them as soon as I get home and then post the results. :victory:

------------------
MonoReaction is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:22 AM   #5
jBam
Radial Developer
jBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud of
Melbourne
MC Status: 1413

sounds like a big plate reverb or spring reverb (or both)…

Another way to get that ringing spring effect is a fast delay into the reverb… Your example sounds crusty and low mid ringing, so try distortion; EQ (boost around 400; or cut highs); delay (say around 50ms…); and then verb… Delay and verb mix to taste

^^^ just for fun - not because you have to ;P

Good tips from other too of course

Use fx (delay / reverb) as a send if you like - that way you can EQ it separately from the "actual" snare… most of that ringing snare is the verb sound…

EDIT: had only skimmed other posts… noticed Crude Beats has nailed a lot of my thoughts at the end of their post

------------------
jBam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jBam
Crude_beats (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBam View Post
their post
yes
Old 12-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC

Strong the plural is with you, Crude.

------------------
Old 12-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
violetmasks
Analog Lurker
violetmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 760

I'd like to get a snare drum used specifically for dub music (NOT dubstep, but dub as in dub reggae). It has a certain sound to it that has a reverberation. Any suggestions on snare brands would be helpful.
violetmasks is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmasks View Post
I'd like to get a snare drum used specifically for dub music (NOT dubstep, but dub as in dub reggae). It has a certain sound to it that has a reverberation. Any suggestions on snare brands would be helpful.
You mean the narrow 200Hz boosted snare + noise into a brickwall limiter?
edit: or a ringy snare, with the snare bed off?

Ludwig, Slingerland, Pearl, Sonor, Yamaha, Gretsch, DW, etc

Last edited by Evelon; 12-11-2015 at 10:22 PM..

------------------
Old 12-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #10
aLiner
Knob Twiddler
aLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond reputeaLiner has a reputation beyond repute
Galway
MC Status: 2810

I think you might also need a good reverb like ValhallaRoom - that's the best reverb plugin I've ever used
aLiner is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:47 PM   #11
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

get into some convolution reverbs

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetmasks View Post
give an example not sure what kind you mean
Old 12-11-2015, 10:36 PM   #13
violetmasks
Analog Lurker
violetmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to beholdvioletmasks is a splendid one to behold

I can't post links on here yet, but an example would be if you search "De Facto - Vesica Pisces (Live)," that's the kind of snare i'm looking for.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 PM   #14
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Tune metal snare high and turn off the snare bed. Rimshots. The closer to the rim you play the thinner and more ringy the sound will be. It's fun to play around with.

You can also look for timbale(s) one-shots if you want more extreme.

------------------
Old 12-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #15
violetmasks
Analog Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Tune metal snare high and turn off the snare bed. Rimshots. The closer to the rim you play the thinner and more ringy the sound will be. It's fun to play around with.

You can also look for timbales one-shots if you want more extreme.
Great, thanks very much!
Old 12-11-2015, 10:46 PM   #16
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Timbale example (the high one):

------------------
Old 13-11-2015, 06:17 AM   #17
jBam
Radial Developer
jBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud of
Melbourne
MC Status: 1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Strong the plural is with you, Crude.
haha... yup... did the old "Crude Beats? He... well maybe her? hmm... maybe it IS multiple people..."...

Ended up going for the "They" / "Their" gender aversion trick ...

------------------
jBam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #18
Crude_beats
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBam View Post
haha... yup... did the old "Crude Beats? He... well maybe her? hmm... maybe it IS multiple people..."...

Ended up going for the "They" / "Their" gender aversion trick ...
I appreciate your consideration.

To keep it short I can say it is two faces of the same coin. What side is up or down at what time depends on many things.

Quote:
I can't post links on here yet, but an example would be if you search "De Facto - Vesica Pisces (Live)," that's the kind of snare i'm looking for.
Evelon already covered it nicely but look for samples called, smth like sidestick, rim, rimshot. EQ and reverb as necessary.
Old 13-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #19
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Sounds to me like a plate reverb with relatively high damping. and it sounds like the snare is layered with some samples of hitting metal with a brush or something like that. I don't believe there is any white noise in there. It sounds like some kind of field sampling or spot-miking layered in.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 11:18 PM   #20
Evelon
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Sounds to me like a plate reverb with relatively high damping. and it sounds like the snare is layered with some samples of hitting metal with a brush or something like that. I don't believe there is any white noise in there. It sounds like some kind of field sampling or spot-miking layered in.
You can (usually) change color of white noise in your synth of choice, aswell as filter/EQ it any way you like.

Advertisements

------------------