Glitch / Stutter plugins
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 15-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Glitch / Stutter plugins

Curious as to what you guys use for glitch / stutter effects. I was watching some guys using SP-404's on the weekend and was really into what they were doing with the stutter and reverse effects. Are there any VSTs that more or less emulate this?

Advertisements

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560
Re: Glitch / Stutter plugins

dblue glitch is free
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Lu-Cuss
Granular Poster
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360

It might be the unpopular opinion here but I personally don't really believe in glitch plugins. They all produce sounds in a way that doesn't sound allow much creativity, and it usually takes away from the sound in general. I don't know how difficult it is to do in whatever DAW you have, but in Ableton I just manually stitch together every glitch sound I do by micro-chopping and manually reversing or repeating anything I want until it sounds good.

Last edited by Lu-Cuss; 15-10-2015 at 07:38 PM..
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #4
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

Besides most of those glitch fx can easily be recognized in a track, Im just not a fan because the whole approach is pretty much off because it has nothing to do with the actual thing.

Instant glitch? Instant IDM? Think about it^^
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #5
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
Curious as to what you guys use for glitch / stutter effects. I was watching some guys using SP-404's on the weekend and was really into what they were doing with the stutter and reverse effects. Are there any VSTs that more or less emulate this?
These are just basic sampler functions. I'd recommend your favorite sampler, TBH
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
vashima (17-10-2015)
Old 16-10-2015, 05:09 PM   #6
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123160
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
These are just basic sampler functions. I'd recommend your favorite sampler, TBH
Many DAWs include awesome tools but most people just ignore them or doesn't know about them and instantly try to look for alternatives. That glitch / stutter effect can be achieved in so many different ways, one of them could be in-built sampler, I agree. Short loop, create automation that controls its length or sample offset and fuck with it.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 05:12 PM   #7
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18647

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I second that. Using Samplers directly also sounds much better then any buffer based FX.
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

I like effectrix from sugar bytes as well as molekular by native instruments as well as flux fx on my iPad
They are more like crazy multi fx tho
I also use a few effects racks I made I live as well as just chopping into a drum rack and resequencing from there
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
A.M (16-10-2015)
Old 16-10-2015, 06:25 PM   #9
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

I like Candy

..seriously, I think the rest of the guys are right about this "effect" being easy enough to do yourself..though not all of us want or feel the need to actually sit there and do it ourselves.

Also, as has already been pointed out, there are different ways of getting that effect..such as chopping up and patching things together yourself..using some sort of granular synth like PadShop to play it key by key..or a half-decent sampler, that will let you tweak the settings as you play/record.

For what it's worth..even if you do want or go with a plug to do this in the end, I'd still invest the time in yourself messing around at different ways of doing this..even if just to experience what it's like to do it.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 06:57 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8562280
Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,250 Posts

I think the issue with a lot of buffer FX software is you can really hear their character in a mix most of the time. I hear dBlue Glitch all over bad/cheesy "glitch music" all the time. But, it will only be other audio nerds who can hear it, so it depends on who your audience is.

Though the big thing for me is that many of them don't give you very much control--which is a big, practical reason not use them. On the other hand, recording some audio that you have run through something dBlue Glitch then cutting out little bits and rearranging that with other audio seems like a good technique. Working with audio is more tedious, but far more precise if you want to get a nice groove going.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (16-10-2015)
Old 16-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #11
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
It might be the unpopular opinion here but I personally don't really believe in glitch plugins.
Do you actually believe that is an unpopular opinion here? Pretty much every time someone asks for recommendations for glitching plugs, it turns into a "mangle audio directly or in a sampler ya noob" thread.

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:08 PM   #12
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Anything by arcDev Noise Industries, Glitchmachines, Inear Display, Bram @ smartelectronix, DarkWare, DtBlkFx, etc
Trying to avoid dblue glitch, but that's just me.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
A.M (16-10-2015)
Old 16-10-2015, 07:30 PM   #13
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
Do you actually believe that is an unpopular opinion here? Pretty much every time someone asks for recommendations for glitching plugs, it turns into a "mangle audio directly or in a sampler ya noob" thread.
I see what you mean..but I think you're viewing the replies to this topic wrong..it's not that everyone on here thinks anyone is a noob or should not use plugs to do this..just that most of us think it's always a good idea to push yourself a little to learn how to do it for yourself.

By all means, use plugs if you want to..whatever the effect or sound you're going for..but I..and others on here..still think you own it to yourself to try your hand at doing it yourself. No disrespect intended to anyone..after all, that's one of the main points of this forum..to share info and help others learn..not just to review and pass on a list of plugs and software..folks can get that kind of help from most other sites on the web as it is.

Last edited by A.M; 16-10-2015 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: FECKING TYPOS!!!!

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #14
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Anything by arcDev Noise Industries, Glitchmachines, Inear Display, Bram @ smartelectronix, DarkWare, DtBlkFx, etc
Trying to avoid dblue glitch, but that's just me.
glitch machine have a couple freebies that are good i forgot about those!
but yeah really using ANY effect on its own is obvious if its overdone
so moderation and try to find what you like out of the multitude of effects out there, get trial versions,
and try and work them into your system to personalize your sound
if that's all manual chopping or parallel processing or bouncing different tracks through different effects and mixing them or a mix of the 3 its the result that counts regardless of whatever anyone says!

on an semi-related note man i cant wait to get home and start using live again!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
A.M (16-10-2015)
Old 17-10-2015, 07:41 AM   #15
penguinoid
Eternal Echoer
penguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MCpenguinoid is a savage MC
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 507776

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I see what you mean..but I think you're viewing the replies to this topic wrong..it's not that everyone on here thinks anyone is a noob or should not use plugs to do this..just that most of us think it's always a good idea to push yourself a little to learn how to do it for yourself.
eh, I wasn't even really talking about this thread even, I just thought it was funny the way they were like: "maybe this is an unpopular opinion here" and then followed with the popular opinion that you shouldn't be overly reliant on glitch plugs.

------------------
penguinoid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to penguinoid
A.M (17-10-2015)
Old 17-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
Lu-Cuss
Granular Poster
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinoid View Post
Well I mean if you'll notice my post count I haven't been here very long, so I don't know the general consensus on many things. I was aware that people don't care for dBlue, but I wasn't so sure about glitch VSTs in general.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lu-Cuss
A.M (17-10-2015)
Old 18-10-2015, 08:50 AM   #17
chasedobson
IDMf Artist
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1541177
Thanked 2,059 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
I personally don't really believe in glitch plugins. They all produce sounds in a way that doesn't sound allow
Faith or no, they exist.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
Kvlt O))) (19-10-2015)
Old 28-10-2015, 03:49 PM   #18
Stegosaurus Rex
Learning The Ropes
Stegosaurus Rex is currently spamming hard
Connecticut
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orray View Post
Harmor in Fl-Studio can do some crazy stuff to samples like reversing the sound, or tuning it to one note. it's like 140 dollars or something but it's totally worth the money, i use it for almost every sound i make, including my bass drums. (you can also use it in other softwares i believe)

Also, Flanger can do some crazy glitch stuff, i use a fast flanger with a slight detune to make some nice screeches.

And of course, Vocodex, or any vocoder. Vocoders are common in glitch hop as the make excellent squelch noises, and can do some craazzy stuff when used with Harmor's re-sampling abilities.

Those are my top choices, but there are plenty other ones out there too. Although sometimes just the way you place the notes can do a better job than a VST plugin, placing notes in fast succession can do some funky stuff too.
Stegosaurus Rex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 19910

How do you use a Vocoder for glitching? *curious*

I usually just confuse Ins and Outs or use wrong cables ( hammer needed)
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #20
Stegosaurus Rex
Learning The Ropes
Stegosaurus Rex is currently spamming hard
Connecticut
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
How do you use a Vocoder for glitching? *curious*

I usually just confuse Ins and Outs or use wrong cables ( hammer needed)
I use Vocodex so I dont know how other vocoders work, but in Vocodex you can do some crazy modulation. It also has a carrier synth so it can do some crazy stuff.

General vocoding can do some cool stuff too. try running a wavetable synth through one.

Advertisements

Stegosaurus Rex is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote