Daft Punk - Robot Rock guitar sound/effect
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 30-12-2015, 12:32 AM   #1
nord87
Learning The Ropes
nord87 will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Daft Punk - Robot Rock guitar sound/effect

Hi everyone,

I've been listening to Daft Punk's "Alive 2007" and am wondering about the "guitar" sound and effect in the first track "Robot Rock" at 5:21. (Can't post links yet, sorry.) Would anyone know if this is a sampled guitar (I know they stole the main riff from an 80's funk metal song), a synth going through a guitar amp, or any other solution? And second, what kind of effect could you use to get that sort of wave-like sound?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
D

Advertisements

nord87 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #2
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 860
Re: Daft Punk - Robot Rock guitar sound/effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord87 View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been listening to Daft Punk's "Alive 2007" and am wondering about the "guitar" sound and effect in the first track "Robot Rock" at 5:21. (Can't post links yet, sorry.) Would anyone know if this is a sampled guitar (I know they stole the main riff from an 80's funk metal song), a synth going through a guitar amp, or any other solution? And second, what kind of effect could you use to get that sort of wave-like sound?

Cheers,
D
Can't answer your first question but that is probably a phaser which is giving the sound that movement. Its not the only case in which he has used such a filter on his leads.

Last edited by samk44; 30-12-2015 at 01:35 AM..
samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 04:34 AM   #3
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 27060

If you're trying to get the exact sound, it may be sampled (or recorded by them, pretty sure they play a little guitar at least). That said, if you're trying to synthesize it, I'd take a saw wave, maybe a small unison close in pitch but panned wide, distort it hard, then highpass it around 200 hz and high-shelf it down around 10 db from 5 or 6khz up. Should at least put you in the ballpark.
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by nord87 View Post
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
D
Actually it's a sample, but not just the guitar… Robot Rock is an outrageously stolen loop from a disco funk band of the late 70s, their name was Breakwater and the original track is "Release the Beast" if my memory assists my right. I don't think the Robots did more than squashing a compressor or adding some drums to make it more punchy.
SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #5
Garruden
IDMf Supporter
Garruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of lightGarruden is a glorious beacon of light
San Jose, California
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHERTZ_Music View Post
Actually it's a sample, but not just the guitar… Robot Rock is an outrageously stolen loop from a disco funk band of the late 70s, their name was Breakwater and the original track is "Release the Beast" if my memory assists my right. I don't think the Robots did more than squashing a compressor or adding some drums to make it more punchy.
Oh man....I never knew this...I'm a little sad now. Anyone know where to get Breakwater's album??

------------------
Garruden is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:35 PM   #6
Monkey P.
Analog Lurker
Monkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud ofMonkey P. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHERTZ_Music View Post
You're absolutely correct! You can always check whosampled.com for the origination of samples used by artists.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

The sample is divided in two parts. One is a real guitar and the other one a synth. I think the synth has some typical Daft Punk filtering (Although they did not make it). They usually use a bandpass filter to create the talking effect. Chorus, flanger or phaser helps to thicken the sound.

This is a tutorial for Sylenth to create the synth in Da Funk, but the technique should be the same.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Monkey P. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Monkey P.
SMHERTZ_Music (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #7
SMHERTZ_Music
Granular Poster
SMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to beholdSMHERTZ_Music is a splendid one to behold
Italy - UK
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey P. View Post

The sample is divided in two parts. One is a real guitar and the other one a synth. I think the synth has some typical Daft Punk filtering (Although they did not make it). They usually use a bandpass filter to create the talking effect. Chorus, flanger or phaser helps to thicken the sound.
Yes, I thought the same, the singing effect can be reproduced with a formant filter, I use pretty much on basses in the mid high register.

Then working with compression and tape emulators (that is compression too) one can get really close to the analog character of the original sample. With my Korg MS 20 mini it works!

Advertisements

------------------
SMHERTZ_Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote