Recreate synth?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #1
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
MC Status: 860
Recreating Timbaland synth?

How do you recreate the synth stab sound at 0:37?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I have a pretty decent idea of how to make something like this: saw type of sound, little or no detune at all, short attack, medium-short decay, no sustain, some release. I cant seem to get the sound however, I just end up with some regular saw lead which isn't that similar actually.

How would you recreate the sound?

Cheers

Advertisements

samk44 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
samk44
Radial Developer
samk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to beholdsamk44 is a splendid one to behold
New York
Re: Recreate synth?

Someone wrote this in the comment section of the song:

"The synth makes it sound really old school, like songs you'd listen to when you were a lot younger, but it's hidden in a modern sound. Synth has that strange 'semi-nostalgic' quality i think."

Thought that was interesting, and I agree with him. Maybe that can give you some direction for the ones thinking about this.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samk44 View Post
How do you recreate the synth stab sound at 0:37?

I have a pretty decent idea of how to make something like this: saw type of sound, little or no detune at all, short attack, medium-short decay, no sustain, some release. I cant seem to get the sound however, I just end up with some regular saw lead which isn't that similar actually.

How would you recreate the sound?

Cheers
Start with a few detuned saws in three different octaves. Then highpass it all to remove unwanted lows. Then add an envelope (with some decay) that controls a lowpass filter cutoff:

I added drums and a bass underneath it all.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
samk44 (05-12-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
samk44
Radial Developer
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
Start with a few detuned saws in three different octaves. Then highpass it all to remove unwanted lows. Then add an envelope (with some decay) that controls a lowpass filter cutoff:

I added drums and a bass underneath it all.
Spot on as always, thanks man

Advertisements