Drums
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63410
Thanked 1,268 Times in 933 Posts
Drums

So, I've been listening to some drummers recently. Started after watching Whiplash (good movie).

This has been very instructive and given me a much better appreciation of percussion. I was particularly impressed by Buddy Rich and Dylan Elise.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Then I came across Clyde Stubblefield (drummer for James Brown) and this wonderfully instructive set of videos:

how funk drum lines are constructed: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

and what the most sampled ones are: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I found this so helpful that I actually tried to incorporate what little I picked up in one of my tracks. I'll post in listening booth once the time is right.

Andy

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 09:44 PM   #2
Orray
Soundscaper
Orray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to beholdOrray is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860
Re: Drums

Thanks

------------------
Orray is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31560

Whiplash is such a brilliant movie.

------------------
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
slugware
Master of the LFO
slugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MCslugware is a savage MC
MC Status: 571251

This is quite helpful, thank you for sharing!

------------------
slugware is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #5
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
So, I've been listening to some drummers recently. Started after watching Whiplash (good movie).

This has been very instructive and given me a much better appreciation of percussion. I was particularly impressed by Buddy Rich and Dylan Elise.

Then I came across Clyde Stubblefield (drummer for James Brown) and this wonderfully instructive set of videos:

how funk drum lines are constructed: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

and what the most sampled ones are: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I found this so helpful that I actually tried to incorporate what little I picked up in one of my tracks. I'll post in listening booth once the time is right.

Andy
that youtube videos forgotten a few mainly skull snaps and the worm.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
liquid_air (01-07-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
that youtube videos forgotten a few mainly skull snaps and the worm.
post some links then

------------------

Old 01-07-2015, 05:37 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20560

joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
liquid_air (01-07-2015)
Old 02-09-2015, 12:00 AM   #8
ALR7
Granular Poster
ALR7 is currently spamming hard
Panamá
MC Status: 10

Ill check some of the links. Being a drummer, or at least understand the concepts behind being one, really seem to push your drum programming to the next level.However, I cant really understand how squarepusher programs such intricately complex drums that never seem to have a repeating pattern. That's just insane haha
ALR7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #9
QrQ
Analog Lurker
QrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really niceQrQ is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Replying to sub, will have a look at the links later. Great idea though, looking forwward to perusing this.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

------------------
QrQ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Bell's Worth
Minor Glitch
Bell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of lightBell's Worth is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Jesus Vietnamese Christ, that Dylan Elise guy is talented as fuck. Googled him and found some slightly more recent videos of him

Apparently he's become super successful (who would've guessed lol) & also super ripped, kinda funny since he looks like such a scrawny kid in the video you posted of him.

Whiplash has gotta be one of my favorite movies ever, really inspiring every single time I watch it. Went and bought the soundtrack almost immediately after the first watch, insanely kickass. Possibly the best film of 2014, but that's up for debate I suppose

------------------
Bell's Worth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bell's Worth
Kvlt O))) (04-09-2015)
Old 04-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #11
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

I saw J. Beeb drumming. His fills were great, but he had no sense of timing whatsoever.

And I found it again. Thanks, internet.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
Crude_beats (22-10-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 AM   #12
jBam
Radial Developer
jBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud ofjBam has much to be proud of
Melbourne
MC Status: 1413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I saw J. Beeb ...
Off topic; but: you know what kills me - J Beiber apparently is now also known as JBAM…

WTF - I had this name for well over a decade… and I chose it because it's relevant to me (people have called me Jonny Bam since primary school), AND - more importantly - because it's such a random artist name that I assumed none else would use it…

Man - that's not the press a tech house / techno producer needs haha...

Time for an emoticon:

:killme:

------------------
jBam is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2015, 01:24 AM   #13
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Bieber is German and means beaver.

That's some rich source of associations...

------------------

Old 22-10-2015, 11:16 PM   #14
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBam View Post
Off topic; but: you know what kills me - J Beiber apparently is now also known as JBAM…

WTF - I had this name for well over a decade… and I chose it because it's relevant to me (people have called me Jonny Bam since primary school), AND - more importantly - because it's such a random artist name that I assumed none else would use it…

Man - that's not the press a tech house / techno producer needs haha...

Time for an emoticon:

:killme:
You'll find a better one

or you know become more famous

Advertisements

Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote