Universal Audio UAD-2 DSP Accelerators
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 17-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648
Universal Audio UAD-2 DSP Accelerators

Anyone using one of these?

I use a laptop and desktop so having portability as an option would be nice.
Would you choose the PCIe card over the satellite?

Quote:
more plug-ins can theoretically be run on the UAD-2 PCIe card system with less latency
I'm interested in getting the UAD-2 QUAD Custom btw.

Advertisements

Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8542130
Thanked 7,024 Times in 4,989 Posts
Re: Universal Audio UAD-2 DSP Accelerators

I have nothing to add except: WANT a UAD card : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC

I know yea

I was looking at my options and I could buy a car and both tax and insure it for a year for the same money.

This production game is a bottomless pit but it's all I enjoy doing so fuck it
Old 17-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

That's funny. I need a new car as well, lol.

------------------
Old 17-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
Empty Reach

I moved into the city centre around 6 months ago so I sold my car. I no longer need one but before that I had one for 6 years straight, feels weird
Old 17-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Honestly, I hate the city. I like living in the quasi-country where I can walk to a bar, a restaurant and a grocery. I'll drive for everything else or order it online.

------------------
Old 17-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
Empty Reach

Know the feel, I grew up in the countryside
Old 17-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #8
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299477

I have friends that use UAD plugins and I've had the liberty to use them myself.

Quality mate! The EMT 240&140 are beautiful.

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divercity View Post
I have friends that use UAD plugins and I've had the liberty to use them myself.

Quality mate! The EMT 240&140 are beautiful.
I heard it's totally worth the money. I just invested in iLok this summer. Gotta say...I love the Waves and Slate Digital stuff I'm running : ) and even if Waves is a bit hype, for the prices they've been selling stuff at lately O_O

I recently got like 500 bucks worth of Waves stuff for like 150.

------------------
Old 19-12-2012, 03:13 AM   #10
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Um if you can afford it then get it. But remember you have to purchase the plugins that work with the UAD line separately, the pci hardware is basically a small computer which hosts the software. Fatso is the most bad ass software compressor I have ever heard, it sounds better than most hardware compressors under $1,000 due to its tonal characteristics. The tape recorder is also really really sick. I have only used those 2 extensively but I know the eq is also great and you don't tax your ram or cpu to use this stuff. Waves cannot hold a candle to the UAD hardware, there is no comparison at all really. In fact the only thing that can compete with UAD stuff is real high end rackmount gear so Id say you are on the right track.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #11
Grain Bastard
IDMf Artist
Grain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MCGrain Bastard is a savage MC
MC Status: 15878

I've been onboard UAD since before they released the 1st Pultec eq (2005???) and I'm really happy with them. I now have 2 x solo cards and that does me as my main plugins are the V2 1176LN comps, Cambridge eq, Moog filter, Cooper Time-Cube and the EMT-140. Some stuff like the Fatso & Massive Passive use a big chunk of DSP which might be a concern for some users work flow & studio practices. Having a quad would eliminate that to some degree.

Having a mix of UAD and some quality native offerings is the way to go IMO. I'm sure stuff like 'the drop' filter plugin will compete sonically with the UAD Moog filter for example but I've been using the Moog for the past few years and the drop still hasn't been released as V1.00 yet!!!

Once you get your card, you can demo all the plugins for 14 days without restrictions (no noise burst or gapped audio) which all get reset after each plugin purchase. So by buying plugins one every 14 days, you can really test the range before spending any cash. Of course this can backfire and you end up wanting them all but using restraint and common sense, you should end up with a nice set of 'weapons of choice'.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Grain Bastard is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea...I may have to go UAD...and I'm sure Waves can't hold a candle. But I have a handful of Waves plugs that get regular use and there by eat my system resources, lol.

Advertisements

------------------