universal audio DSP and Macbook pro
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 23-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Downstate
Granular Poster
Downstate has a spectacular aura aboutDownstate has a spectacular aura aboutDownstate has a spectacular aura about
Shanghai
MC Status: 210
universal audio DSP and Macbook pro

Hello,

I just wanted to get some other peoples opinons on what i'm planning to upgrade to. I produced on PC for 6 years or so, recently i finally mde some decent money through a commercial project and decided i'd finally make the move to Mac to use Logic. I really dont get on all that well with Ableton, just hate it for making songs with. To play live on its a godsend on, but i hate being stuck in it to produce as well.

So i was all ready to set off to Hong Kong and get a macbook pro, cheap as chips there (i live in shanghai btw) but i noticed a problem.

I am 100% decided on buying the universal audio DSP card, the one for laptop, that goes in the expresscard slot. And yep, as some of you are probably aware the dumbass's at Apple have removed said expresscard slot from the 13" MBP. So its not really 'pro' anymore.......
I really dont want to fork out almost double price for a 17" when ive got a perfectly good external monitor to rig the 13" up to when im at home. It's so annoying.

The allternative solutions are a $150 thuinderbolt - expresscard convertor. But that seems a bit retarded, because i could just stump up a bit more and get the UAD firewire interface instead.
Has anyone used on of these, i wonder if its going to inhibit the performance of the DSP going through the convertor ?

So if i need to buy Firewire......all this is pushing the price up and up to the point where i wonder if its really worth the hassle. maybe i should just get a new laptop, pimp the RAM out and get the UAD stuff aswell.

I dont really know what my question is here to be honest....I just wonder what anyone else thinks ? I cant be the only one to be faced with this problem. My brain tells me the most logical is to spend more on a firewire UAD, but then i feel like i'm one of the people i've been slagging off for years, the people that spend more and more money because apple are frequently so damn annoying and almost force you to spend more Grrrrrr

Advertisements

------------------
"Nothing shocks me........i am a scientist"
Downstate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Blank Mass
Old 23-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435
Re: universal audio DSP and Macbook pro

Does the express card to thunderbolt read and write faster than the firewire? I know pci express speeds blow the hell out of anything else available. Email UAD support and find out because I bet the thunderbolt converter is more efficient. If you can hold out a little longer I guarantee that you will start to see UAD stuff designed for USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt. UAD makes great stuff so IMHO its totally worth every penny.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Downstate
Granular Poster
Downstate has a spectacular aura aboutDownstate has a spectacular aura aboutDownstate has a spectacular aura about
Shanghai
MC Status: 210
Re: universal audio DSP and Macbook pro

Thanks for the response. Thats a good idea, im going to ask UAD see what they say about that. Its interesting i guess regarding USB 3. I can wait i guess if there is something on the horizon. And yeah, the PCI would be quicker, but i really want to be mobile because i will use the same set up to play live pretty regularly. But thanks for the heads up on thunderbolt probably being quicker than FW. I might go that route any way, if i only get a solo dsp card from UAD i can always get a bigger one to add on in the future, a duo, or quad. Ah decisions decisions decision......i am swaying definately that my priority is getting the Universal stuff, i might even tell the Mac to piss of and just get a pimped out laptop like i'm doing now. Logic isnt the be-all-and-end-all, i mean i wanted it because i love the sound of its built in effects, compressors etc, but they dont even come close to the UAD stuff !!!!

Advertisements

------------------
"Nothing shocks me........i am a scientist"
Downstate is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: burzum - filosofem