Movies/TV Thread - Page 507
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #10121
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42388549
Thanked 5,091 Times in 3,319 Posts
Re: Movies/TV Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Roo, you should watch Jodorowsky's Dune if you haven't seen it.
Been on my to-do list like forever.

Advertisements

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 AM   #10122
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421871479
Thanked 4,870 Times in 2,816 Posts

When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 at the theater (did not like it at all, sue me), I saw a preview for a movie called The Belko Experiment. After it was over my then-roommate turned to me and said, "That looks horrible," to which I replied "That looks fucking awesome."

Just watched it tonight. Read the premise and if you think you're into it, check it out. It has a lot of James Gunn regulars, if you're weird and keep up with that sort of thing. Horrible and mean-spirited and awful and violent and not even all that creative, buuuuuut you'll know if it's your cup of tea by the premise. Good stuff (again, if you like that sort of thing).

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vlantis
I/O_Madness (08-11-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM   #10123
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478654

Quote:
When I saw Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2 at the theater (did not like it at all, sue me), I saw a preview for a movie called The Belko Experiment. After it was over my then-roommate turned to me and said, "That looks horrible," to which I replied "That looks fucking awesome."

Just watched it tonight. Read the premise and if you think you're into it, check it out. It has a lot of James Gunn regulars, if you're weird and keep up with that sort of thing. Horrible and mean-spirited and awful and violent and not even all that creative, buuuuuut you'll know if it's your cup of tea by the premise. Good stuff (again, if you like that sort of thing).
I saw the commercial for that and was stoked to see it. Eventually when it came out I had to drive 50 miles to the nearest theatre that was actually playing it. Definitely very extreme and intense. Crazy movie tho, and I'm always curious what people do when they're put in those predicaments.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:25 AM   #10124
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I saw the commercial for that and was stoked to see it. Eventually when it came out I had to drive 50 miles to the nearest theatre that was actually playing it. Definitely very extreme and intense. Crazy movie tho, and I'm always curious what people do when they're put in those predicaments.
I see that a lot of people slag it for not being very nuanced, and I'd agree (Battle Royale, it ain't). But I dunno, I'm just happy to see these kinds of movies get made. I don't need a deep dissection of the human psyche every time I watch one of these types of movies. It's pretty much "four or five bastards vs everybody" which was actually kind of refreshing to see (in a fucked up way, that is) instead of the usual deep-think piece where people segregate into groups and whatnot, if that makes any sense.

Nobody really knows what would happen in this situation, so this is as realistic as any of these hypothetical situations. Probably WOULD be just a couple of assholes vs a lot of normal people.

But yeah, Battle Royale is a good as it gets, and this is a far cry from that, so I understand people not liking it. Still a good movie if you like the idea.

(Also, not sure if there's an unrated version, but there doesn't appear to be. Holy fuck, can't believe this got past the censors the way I watched it. Especially that last scene with the tape dispenser (a truly marvelous mixture of editing, music, and violence.))

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Thanks to Vlantis
A.M (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #10125
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 185410
Thanked 3,708 Times in 2,761 Posts

Quote:
I see that a lot of people slag it for not being very nuanced, and I'd agree (Battle Royale, it ain't). But I dunno, I'm just happy to see these kinds of movies get made. I don't need a deep dissection of the human psyche every time I watch one of these types of movies. It's pretty much "four or five bastards vs everybody" which was actually kind of refreshing to see (in a fucked up way, that is) instead of the usual deep-think piece where people segregate into groups and whatnot, if that makes any sense.

Nobody really knows what would happen in this situation, so this is as realistic as any of these hypothetical situations. Probably WOULD be just a couple of assholes vs a lot of normal people.

But yeah, Battle Royale is a good as it gets, and this is a far cry from that, so I understand people not liking it. Still a good movie if you like the idea.

(Also, not sure if there's an unrated version, but there doesn't appear to be. Holy fuck, can't believe this got past the censors the way I watched it. Especially that last scene with the tape dispenser (a truly marvelous mixture of editing, music, and violence.))
Shit..I totally forgot to check this one out..thanks for the reminder. I remember seeing the trailer and thinking, "Man, that's a pretty cool cast of players!"..not another one of those flicks filled with "beautiful people", but well seasoned actors in their own right. Granted, not really A listers, but still well known enough to actually give you a solid performance worth watching.

Thanks for the reminder, Cool J..nice one!

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #10126
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown
MC Status: 2147483647

Has anyone seen the new Blade Runner? Last year I got myself a cinema year pass so this year I've been going nuts, sometimes going to the cinema multiple times to re-watch awesome movies. Blade Runner was one of those movies. The original was fucking nuts! Probably my all time favorite. So when I heard about the new one I didn't watch the trailer and I would "lalalala" at the cinema during the trailers. I was so fucking excited and terrified. The original is like my baby and I was afraid that someone would botch it up. But as usual Denis Villeneuve is a fucking babe.

All nerd jerking on the story-line and general vibe asside, I think this movie is a piece of art. Visually it's a masterpiece. Every shot is a fucking canvas. I had moments I was so taken back the hairs on my arm were fully erect, and I could just feel it down my spine and in my chest. And then they'd have these deep sounds come in and you're just like "WOW, I just got Kevin Spacey-ed". I was actually super concerned for the soundtrack, it was supposed to be Denis' regular guy, who is phenomenal, and he was going to do something as an homage to Vangelis, whom I love, and they switched last minute to Music Factoryboii, Mr Hans... I was like "noooooooo"... but I'm so glad they did. He actually managed to capture the vibe in his unique kind of way, leaving Vangelis alone (sort of)... god... I want to see it again.

Yeah, I think I must have gone to see it 2 times now. The second time it was purely to absorb the music and breathtaking visuals, break them down in my head and soak it up! Cinematic bong hit so to speak.

On a side note, that cinema pass is probably my best purchase so far. paying 18 euros a month, which is basically like 2 movies, and I have moments where I go multiple times a week. It's actually pushed me to keep an eye out and find gems like old reruns they've been doing. I got to see Pulp Fiction and 2001: A Space Odyssey in the cinema... it felt so magical... Plus it's actually encouraged me to stop watching movies at home, which is a good thing overall.

------------------
Mizuchi is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 04:47 PM   #10127
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Miracle Mile (1988). The ultimate pessimistic nuclear apocalypse melodrama. It remains rather low-key throughout and at times feels almost like an ensemble piece. Characters pop in and out of the picture, always with new wounds physical or mental. The movie seems to be more about the little scenes, the flashes, like that old woman sitting at the bar with a fox eating french fries off the ground behind her, or that man walking up the wrong side of the escalator with his dying girlfriend in his arms. All of that just flashes on the screen and not much is made out of it -- and that is a good thing. Excellent script. Ok actors. Some funny haircuts.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #10128
Plague
Regular Freak
Plague has a spectacular aura aboutPlague has a spectacular aura aboutPlague has a spectacular aura about
Munich
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Miracle Mile (1988). The ultimate pessimistic nuclear apocalypse melodrama. It remains rather low-key throughout and at times feels almost like an ensemble piece. Characters pop in and out of the picture, always with new wounds physical or mental. The movie seems to be more about the little scenes, the flashes, like that old woman sitting at the bar with a fox eating french fries off the ground behind her, or that man walking up the wrong side of the escalator with his dying girlfriend in his arms. All of that just flashes on the screen and not much is made out of it -- and that is a good thing. Excellent script. Ok actors. Some funny haircuts.
Was that the movie with music by Tangerine Dream? I would love to see that!

A really cool movie I like is "Memento". It's about a guy who has only 3 minute memory. A thriller.
And a movie called "A Scanner Darkly" based on a book by Phillip K. Dick. The movie was shot traditional, but then again painted like an anime. Great story, visuals and sound.
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Plague
I/O_Madness (18-11-2017)
Old 18-11-2017, 02:30 AM   #10129
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
Was that the movie with music by Tangerine Dream? I would love to see that!

A really cool movie I like is "Memento". It's about a guy who has only 3 minute memory. A thriller.
And a movie called "A Scanner Darkly" based on a book by Phillip K. Dick. The movie was shot traditional, but then again painted like an anime. Great story, visuals and sound.
I liked Memento, and a Scanner Darkly, tho a Scanner Darkly I just felt I couldn't quite really get into the story. The animation was cool, definitely as a method of making a movie, but I felt I just didn't get into it too much. I loved Memento tho. Really made me rage at the lady when she comes clean. Grrrr.

EDIT: I think the main thing about A Scanner Darkly I don't like is how everything on the characters seems to consistently be moving around like a gelatinous surface. Hair, facial features... everything seems to kinda always be sliding about and morphing.

Last edited by I/O_Madness; 18-11-2017 at 02:48 AM..

------------------

I/O_Madness
Thanks to I/O_Madness
Plague (18-11-2017)
Old 18-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #10130
Plague
Regular Freak
Plague has a spectacular aura aboutPlague has a spectacular aura aboutPlague has a spectacular aura about
Munich
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I liked Memento, and a Scanner Darkly, tho a Scanner Darkly I just felt I couldn't quite really get into the story. The animation was cool, definitely as a method of making a movie, but I felt I just didn't get into it too much. I loved Memento tho. Really made me rage at the lady when she comes clean. Grrrr.

EDIT: I think the main thing about A Scanner Darkly I don't like is how everything on the characters seems to consistently be moving around like a gelatinous surface. Hair, facial features... everything seems to kinda always be sliding about and morphing.
The whole concept of this movie is about drugs. I love how the visuals express this theme. But I agree - to many people this movie is too trippy and too sad. Well, it's a sad story. But there are a lot of funny moments. When they had the car crash and worried about people breaking into their house and one of the guys said he put a note on the door to come in...I love it....
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Plague
I/O_Madness (18-11-2017)
Old 18-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #10131
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plague View Post
The whole concept of this movie is about drugs. I love how the visuals express this theme. But I agree - to many people this movie is too trippy and too sad. Well, it's a sad story. But there are a lot of funny moments. When they had the car crash and worried about people breaking into their house and one of the guys said he put a note on the door to come in...I love it....
That scene was good. Or when he's talking about selling the house lol and the stashed drugs add value to the cost lol.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 20-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #10132
Roo Stercogburn
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback

Baby Driver:

Good film. Lots of great set-pieces and yet somehow overall it didn't completely work for me. I found Ansel Elgort bland and expressionless for the most part. He seemed to mostly switch between no expression at all and frowny-face with not much in between.

Also, being mad is like being intelligent in that if you need to tell people, it means you aren't really. Jamie Foxx was a bit crap in this regard. He didn't look or act mad, just angry and kill-happy.

The story isn't anything new,its just done with a lot of style but the way Baby's background is revealed is nicely done.

There's a nice nod to the Mint Royale music video which is the blueprint for this film that if you blink you'll miss it.

Anyway, pretty good. Despite the obvious bigger budget, not quite in the same league as Hot Fuzz but still much better than most of the crap that Hollywood generally doles out.

------------------
Old 20-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #10133
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Mizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MCMizuchi is a savage MC
Beertown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Stercogburn View Post
Baby Driver:

Good film. Lots of great set-pieces and yet somehow overall it didn't completely work for me. I found Ansel Elgort bland and expressionless for the most part. He seemed to mostly switch between no expression at all and frowny-face with not much in between.

Also, being mad is like being intelligent in that if you need to tell people, it means you aren't really. Jamie Foxx was a bit crap in this regard. He didn't look or act mad, just angry and kill-happy.

The story isn't anything new,its just done with a lot of style but the way Baby's background is revealed is nicely done.

There's a nice nod to the Mint Royale music video which is the blueprint for this film that if you blink you'll miss it.

Anyway, pretty good. Despite the obvious bigger budget, not quite in the same league as Hot Fuzz but still much better than most of the crap that Hollywood generally doles out.
Wait... they were going for a Hot Fuzz vibe? I didn't watch it because everyone I knew basically said it was "mkay" and the trailer just made it look like some other bland, forgettable Hollywood movie. Is it worth a watch or is it just bleh?

------------------
Old 20-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #10134
Roo Stercogburn
On horseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuchi View Post
Wait... they were going for a Hot Fuzz vibe? I didn't watch it because everyone I knew basically said it was "mkay" and the trailer just made it look like some other bland, forgettable Hollywood movie. Is it worth a watch or is it just bleh?
Its worth a watch. A lot of it is very snappy and is a logical progression of the style Edgar Wright developed in Spaced then the Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim. Because the core of the film isn't as clever as the clever they wrapped around it, it falls short of being great but its way not terrible.

------------------
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
Mizuchi (20-11-2017)
Old 20-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #10135
Mizuchi
Savage Mad Cunt
Beertown

Quote:
Its worth a watch. A lot of it is very snappy and is a logical progression of the style Edgar Wright developed in Spaced then the Cornetto trilogy and Scott Pilgrim. Because the core of the film isn't as clever as the clever they wrapped around it, it falls short of being great but its way not terrible.
Ah, I see... for some reason what you said reminds me of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective-bla bla-something. No link whatsoever... maybe it was the "Scott Pilgrim" part. Good show btw.

Okay, I'll have a watch next time I got some time...

------------------
Old 21-11-2017, 01:26 AM   #10136
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Wes Craven "The Serpent and the Rainbow" (1988). Wow. That is one awesome horror movie. It's got everything. It's spooky, it's got great special effects and nightmare scenes, it makes you feel unsafe, and it's got a political edge. Must be one of the best.

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
GomesR (21-11-2017)
Old 21-11-2017, 02:31 AM   #10137
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Baby Driver:

I wasn't gonna see that but I've been hearing good things about the movie recently.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 21-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #10138
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71974
Thanked 1,188 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Wes Craven "The Serpent and the Rainbow" (1988). Wow. That is one awesome horror movie. It's got everything. It's spooky, it's got great special effects and nightmare scenes, it makes you feel unsafe, and it's got a political edge. Must be one of the best.
Was just trying to get a buddy to watch it the other day, glad Iím not alone on thinking itís a good one.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 06:02 AM   #10139
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

That nail scene, though.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 22-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #10140
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744031891
Thanked 7,289 Times in 4,527 Posts

Good Time.
It wasn't tbh.
Just seemed like another movie that was supposed to shock you with a fucked up scenario but didn't really go anywhere or say anything, just "here, look at this fucked up scenario (I invented)".
Meh.
Spiking the guy with a half pint of liquid acid while he was unconscious made me shudder.
I think what it is these days is that I just don't identify with the characters or attach to them at all and so I can't really get invested in what happens to them.
Most films just feel like a waste of a couple of hours where I have to do a lot of mental gymnastics to fudge the bs I'm being fed.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote