Opening dj set need help please!!!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 28-09-2011, 12:14 AM   #1
Alexmaster12
Granular Poster
Alexmaster12 is currently spamming hard
CHICAGO
MC Status: 11
Opening dj set need help please!!!

HELLO! I am in dire need of assistance in assembling an opening dj set for MT EDEN! HOLY SHIT! All i need is you guys to throw me some great opening tracks, not bangers but something that will psyche everyone up for MT EDEN!!!! If i can get this spot I will forever be grateful for all eternity for those helping me. The

1) Create a 20 min mini mix that would be the ideal opening set for our Mt Eden show. Do your homework! Figure out the type of music they play and the type of music that goes with it. Don't play bangers, this is an opening slot and being an opening dj is an artform. Do something unique to get our attention!

2) Host your DJ mix on YOUR soundcloud page. Then head over to www.soundcloud.com/react_presents and "FOLLOW US" then click on "DROPBOX". Drop your mix into our Soundcloud DROPBOX. (MAKE SURE that your mix is public so we can hear it!)

3) We will pick finalists on Monday October 3rd and announce them here.

4) We will pick the lucky WINNER on Thursday October 6th and announce him/her/it/them here.

Those are the conditions FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HELP ME MAKE MY DREAM COME TRUE!!!

Advertisements

Alexmaster12 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: MT EDEN
Old 28-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Hendy
Granular Poster
Hendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MCHendy is a savage MC
MC Status: 14535
Re: Opening dj set need help please!!!

dont take offense but if you have to ask a forum for help on selecting tracks in order to help you win a slot to open for a fairly popular act, you might not be ready to do so.

that being said, if youre trying to be unique, try mixing a different genre or vibe that would set you apart but compliment mt edens style at the same time..
Hendy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
Alexmaster12
Granular Poster
CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendy View Post
dont take offense but if you have to ask a forum for help on selecting tracks in order to help you win a slot to open for a fairly popular act, you might not be ready to do so.

that being said, if youre trying to be unique, try mixing a different genre or vibe that would set you apart but compliment mt edens style at the same time..
Thank u but No ik I'm ready for this I just posted to find an idea of what type of music ppl would think they'd hear at a venue played by an opener before mt Eden went on if maybe ppl would like to hear more dubstep dnb mobahton deep house? Was looking for examples to start from not a whole set list kinda just made it an overlly big deal bit it is a bog deal so if u got any god chill dnb tracks that Are chill (which is the genre I am choosing to play here) please drop a few it'd beich appreciated thank you!
Old 28-09-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178

You are not ready for this.

You just said:
Quote:
I just posted to find an idea of what type of music ppl would think they'd hear
No you posted this:
Quote:
All i need is you guys to throw me some great opening tracks
Do your homework. Don't ask other people to do it for you.
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
erik mitchell
Deep Underground
erik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MCerik mitchell is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 300691

Electro house, kids love that ish

------------------

Follow me: soundcloud - facebook
erik mitchell is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
Alexmaster12
Granular Poster
CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne Industries View Post
You are not ready for this.

You just said:

No you posted this:

Do your homework. Don't ask other people to do it for you.
Thanks man appreciate it....if i end up getting the spot your the first ill thank buddy!
Old 29-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #7
DJ Ike
Regular Freak
DJ Ike is currently spamming hard
New York
MC Status: 10

I would play swedish house mafia, or laid back luke remix of robins undestructable!! Sick tracks to get them going!!!

also here's a new up and coming I love this track http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/roc...le/id456998360 I got the dirty verson!! you might be able to here the full version on soundcloud think the label is intenserecordsmusic.

Good luck mate!!
DJ Ike is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/rock-the-house-single/id456998360
Old 30-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast
MC Status: 3901373

Just do what you do, fuck asking for advice. Play what ya like and read the crowd, if you aint enjoying the selection then the crowd aint gonna either. I imagine Mt Eden fans are pretty easy to impress though right?

------------------
kingldub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingldub View Post
I imagine Mt Eden fans are pretty easy to impress though right?
Zing!
Old 30-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
kingldub
Eternal Echoer
kingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MCkingldub is a savage MC
London/South Coast
MC Status: 3901373

Quote:
Zing!
Sorry, I just couldn't help it.

------------------
kingldub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
Benwaa

just

yes........

fuckin' amateurs
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #12
Alexmaster12
Granular Poster
CHICAGO

I posted this so i could get some help not get criticized. How hard is it to take your favorite dnb song and post it?

Yes
Old 30-09-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Alexmaster12
Granular Poster
CHICAGO

Quote:
Zing!
It's not Mt Edens fans i need to impress it's the promotors so i can get booked, so i can play somewhere again. I need to start somewhere.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Anodyne Industries
Oakland, CA

First: Wrong. Ultimately it's Mt. Edens' fans you need to impress. The promoters are aware of the crowd that's coming to the event and they want to cater to their tastes.

Second: You may not have been looking for criticism but it found you. Instead of getting defensive maybe you should take this as a learning experience. We're just trying to let you know that if you're not prepared to do your own homework, find tracks that you think would work, and impress the shit out of this promoter... maybe you should rethink your approach to "breaking into" the DJ scene.

As a DJ you should be scouring your collection of (legally paid for) tunes, checking out youtube, soundcloud, and other social media sites, Beatport and other retailers, etc. and finding out what songs Mt. Eden fans love. Then from that you should start formulating just what kind of opening set you think would perfectly prep that crowd for the headliner act to follow.

Instead, you've come into this forum (and presumably others) and begun asking other people to do your work for you ("throw me some great opening tracks").

Your intentions are admirable. But your follow-through leaves a lot to be desired. Hence the criticism.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Dexteris
Learning The Ropes
Dexteris is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Advertisements

Dexteris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote