DAW & VSTi aside...how do like to get your dubstep synth?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:29 AM   #1
Lem
Minor Glitch
Lem will become famous soon enoughLem will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 116
DAW & VSTi aside...how do like to get your dubstep synth?

explain whats the process u take to get your dubstep synth?

Advertisements

Lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
filterwerk
spaghetti machine
filterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 10880361
Re: daw & vsti aside...how do like to get your dustep synth?

massive.

Don't do the LFO lowpass stuff inside massive, instead do some slower wavetable LFO and slower (like 2/1) LFO filtering, but nothing that will limit the sound. think double notch filters, band rejects, anything that isnt highpass bandpass or lowpass. Go easy on the distortion and waveshaping options inside massive. I usually just use dimension expander and maybe some LIGHT mono flanger. If you're going to use the waveshapers, be very careful not to distort it too much or you wind up with this ungodly mess:

http://soundcloud.com/ballista-dubst...es-new-preview

And remember to turn up the voice count inside massive too.
Download WOW filter and ohmicide, both great tools. Use ableton's saturator, vocoder (set to modulator so you can formant shift) chorus/flange, whatever. Get to work resampling. I would post a zippyshare of all the steps it took to make the bass in my sig, but im in ontario and my desktop is in vancouver.

Resampling is pretty much this: add a small amount of FX, bounce to audio, save. Add a little more FX, bounce, save. rinse repeat until you have a small army of shit you can assemble a bassline from. Whatever you do, for the love of god, don't just slap an LFO on the lowpass in massive and automate the LFO rate and leave it at that, please. There is so much crappy dubstep out there now it causes me physical pain. It might seem like its hard, but this is how datsik and excision and downlink and all the other big dubstep names get their epic bass.

And remember, in ableton you can always slice to drum rack, and rearrange. And change pitch indefinitely.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedachi View Post
Touching my bum hole whilst I stroke my cat, furiously.
filterwerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Lem
Minor Glitch
Re: daw & vsti aside...how do like to get your dustep synth?

Dude thanks for the post... any cool drum samples you can score me to get started, i just started making dubstep recently...Would be awesome...
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
halcyon442
Knob Twiddler
halcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MChalcyon442 is a savage MC
Here n There
MC Status: 2469896
Re: DAW & VSTi aside...how do like to get your dubstep synth?

Xfer sample pack, LA riot electro sample pack, vengeance sample pack, etc. Lots of good drum samples out there and if you don't want to buy one, check out freesound.org.
halcyon442 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
filterwerk
spaghetti machine
filterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 10880361

Wave alchemy 909 pack.

and search for the thread here labeled "synthesizing a kickdrum" and see how a kick needs to be properly layered.

also... message me @ filt3rwerk@hotmail.ca and I'll give you a present i cant link to on this site

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedachi View Post
Touching my bum hole whilst I stroke my cat, furiously.
filterwerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
Kaveman
Minor Glitch
Kaveman is currently spamming hard
Alberta
MC Status: 10

I hate how Datsik in the video is talking about Dubstep like its a North American Genre and totally ignores the Roots of Dubstep...
Kaveman is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
Lem
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by filterwerk View Post
Wave alchemy 909 pack.

and search for the thread here labeled "synthesizing a kickdrum" and see how a kick needs to be properly layered.

also... message me @ filt3rwerk@hotmail.ca and I'll give you a present i cant link to on this site
awe...I emailed you...can you organise the link?:2gunsfiring_v1:
Old 10-09-2011, 08:27 PM   #8
Paggos
Savage Mad Cunt
Paggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MCPaggos is a savage MC
Zhengzhou, China
MC Status: 3541243

I fart into my zoom H1

Advertisements

------------------
Paggos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote