Working on an atmospheric song with crazy 15/16 beat into
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
bustthenotes
Minor Glitch
bustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MC
East Coast
MC Status: 909810
Working on an atmospheric song with crazy 15/16 beat into

Hey guys, definite WIP here. I've never really tried mixing a rhythm before, I typically just use loops, but for this atmospheric song I really wanted a rhythm that evolved and was more fluid, which you just can't get with loops alone.

That being said, I created the 15/16 opening rhythm, used a loop to transition into the 4/4 but edited it quite a bit, and used another edited loop under it as it developed, and finally mixed in layers of the original 15/16 rhythm.

So I went with a long rhythm for the intro that sounds like 3/4 at first, because I wanted to emphasize the atmospheric "lost" feeling I was going for. I wanted to make it difficult for the listener to latch onto something at first.

I haven't gotten to any of the music part past the 15/16, other than the rhythm itself, but I'm wondering if A) I'm emphasizing the rhythm enough, and B) does the feeling I'm going for work in a positive way? and... C) do my frequencies and positioning of sounds work?

Thanks guys

Advertisements

bustthenotes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - Working on an atmospheric song with crazy 15/16 beat into.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Isris
Soundwave Mangler
Isris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MC
Birmingham
MC Status: 628909
Re: Working on an atmospheric song with crazy 15/16 beat into

It sounds pretty nice. Polymeter is one of my favourite things in music. The only trouble is that sometimes during this there are odd little rhythmic hiccups which don't quite work.

------------------
Isris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
bustthenotes
Minor Glitch
bustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MCbustthenotes is a savage MC
East Coast
MC Status: 909810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Fables View Post
It sounds pretty nice. Polymeter is one of my favourite things in music. The only trouble is that sometimes during this there are odd little rhythmic hiccups which don't quite work.

Yea I kinda thought I was hearing hiccups, thanks for varifying.

Gawd, the problem is computer programs hate letting you change the rhythm... (maybe it's just reason), or using anything that doesn't nicely divide back into itself. So the problem is I have to have the actual metronome set to 4/4 time, while figuring out where the beats fall in the 4/4 time measures, which makes recording a piano solo in one take reeeeaaaally hard . I think I've got it now though, I'll post an update soon.
bustthenotes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
Isris
Soundwave Mangler
Isris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MCIsris is a savage MC
Birmingham
MC Status: 628909

You're spot on chap. Almost all sequencers let you set the main time signature, but not for each channel. Nor can you change tempo for individual channels. This basically puts doing anything polymetric, polyrhythmic or metrically modulated in a very difficult postion.

I wil very soon be making a blog / site about the software I'm making in Max/MSP which allows for creating complex rhythmic structures if you're interested.

------------------
Isris is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #5
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762841

The piano at the beginning was gorgeous. I was almost dissapointed when it stopped all of the sudden.

The percussion afterwards sounds very good. One doesn´t quite notice the 15/16.
mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #6
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47764252

yeah as I was counting, it seemed to be in a standard time. You have 8 + 7 + 1 to my ears.

You can easily do polyrhythms in Live. Or any sequencer that can create clips of audio/midi in divisions of an 1/8 note or lower.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214390098
Thanked 2,833 Times in 1,765 Posts

I didn't even notice the odd signature (sound like 4/4 to me, except for an extra quarter-note at 0:15), just that the bongo(?) loop is part time stressed/rushed.

Advertisements

Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote