Dubstep Tutorials
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 31-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
choikohbong
Learning The Ropes
choikohbong is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Dubstep Tutorials

Hello all,

I've found a decent amount of useful tutorials from browsing this forum / google, but I have also had to spend a lot of time wasted on tutorials that are just plain garbage. What I am specifically looking for are dubstep production tutorials that are more complete (ie not just synthesis).

I want to watch something that goes into techniques used (pitch bends, automation, resampling, composition, etc). The only really helpful one I've found in the past few hours was that dubstep tutorial the russian guy did that someone posted on here.

As always, thank and all help is much appreciated.

PS. I have also found several Ableton project sessions which have been helpful in figuring out how stuff is achieved. That is the easiest way for me to learn, but it is hard to find very many good project files to learn from.

Advertisements

choikohbong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
EXPdub
Regular Freak
EXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MC
MC Status: 21888
Re: Dubstep Tutorials

I know this answer will not satisfy you but i'll try it anyways

As soon as you know the basics, practice, practice and practice.
Know your software and things like automation pitch bend etc will be no problem for you.
Sessions and tuts are good for the absolut basics, then just build tracks. as many as possible.
You'll learn from every tune and from every mistake you make, so keep it up!
EXPdub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #3
choikohbong
Learning The Ropes

Yeah,

More minimal dubstep was fairly easy to grasp. I'm trying to learn how to do more dirty dubstep. The tutorial by that russian guy has helped a lot, I just wish there were more tutorials out there like that. Explaining about resampling the whole bassline, etc instead of just saying "this is how you make wobble bass". Dubstep is more than just adding an LFO and Envelope, and thats what I'm trying to learn. If it was just go on youtube and watch wobble bass tutorial, everybody would be a pro.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
SwitzerStep
Regular Freak
SwitzerStep will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

In all seriousness, there is only so much that tutorials can do for you...

Last edited by SwitzerStep; 05-01-2012 at 06:51 AM..
SwitzerStep is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
EXPdub
Regular Freak
EXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MCEXPdub is a savage MC
MC Status: 21888

I don't think you even need to resample the bassline, but thats the whole point: everyone has another way to achieve the sounds they want.
Maybe this will help you: http://www.boyinaband.com/tutorials/...step-tutorial/

My advice would be: start a dirty tune, try to get the sounds you want and post it here, would be much easier to give you tips then.

Also if you are interestet in any sound of my tracks, feel free to ask how it was created.
Hope that was helpful
EXPdub is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
SororZayin
Analog Lurker
SororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MCSororZayin is a savage MC
MC Status: 170522

Here's one of Schroff's

">

">
Schroff & Skunkworks Shadow Boxing: In the Studio (Part 2/3) - YouTube

">
Schroff & Skunkworks Shadow Boxing: In the Studio (Part 3/3) - YouTube

------------------
If Music be the food of Love.... PLAY ON!
SororZayin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
choikohbong
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SororZayin View Post
Here's one of Schroff's

Schroff & Skunkworks Shadow Boxing: In the Studio (Part 1/3) - YouTube

Schroff & Skunkworks Shadow Boxing: In the Studio (Part 2/3) - YouTube

Schroff & Skunkworks Shadow Boxing: In the Studio (Part 3/3) - YouTube

That helped a lot. I always thought it would take multiple synths to make a single bassline. Answered my question pretty well. Thanks and thanks to everyone else who has posted so far everything has been of use.

And I'm sure this is better than me posting "How do I sound like ______"
Old 23-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
True Design
Regular Freak
True Design is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by choikohbong View Post
Yeah,

More minimal dubstep was fairly easy to grasp. I'm trying to learn how to do more dirty dubstep. The tutorial by that russian guy has helped a lot, I just wish there were more tutorials out there like that. Explaining about resampling the whole bassline, etc instead of just saying "this is how you make wobble bass". Dubstep is more than just adding an LFO and Envelope, and thats what I'm trying to learn. If it was just go on youtube and watch wobble bass tutorial, everybody would be a pro.
If you want more dirty dubstep try using some free distortion plugs-in such as these http://freemusicsoftware.org/categor...-2/bit-crusher because they can sometimes not get the really good quality expensive plugins do causing a really dirty sound. And this plugin is absoloutly amazing for dubstep basseshttp://ofthinkingwithsounds.blogspot...oul-force.html

Advertisements

True Design is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote