Is Madeon amazing or what?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 14-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #1
Epoch
Radial Developer
Epoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MC
where i make muh dirty beetz
MC Status: 3039609
Is Madeon amazing or what?

he is already taking the french electro community to the next level. I have so much respect for Madeon. Whats your opinions over Madeon?

edit: Fixing the video. [use only the youtube ID inside the youtube tags next time, or just post the whole url without tags]

Last edited by Epoch; 07-11-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Advertisements

Epoch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Tiesto - Fresh Fruit
Old 14-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
aaron l
Learning The Ropes
aaron l is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Is Madeon amazing or what?

he is amazing, maschine legend
aaron l is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 04:47 AM   #3
Epoch
Radial Developer
Epoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MCEpoch is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron l View Post
Yeah, im trying to post the live mashup he did of 39 songs, and it was impressive!
Old 14-10-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178

I think he's clever. Not groundbreaking. That's not to say that the attention he's receiving or his skills at picking out samples aren't impressive though.
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Isn't what 2 Many DJ's used to do?

Isn't what Girl Talk does?

Isn't it what Akufen does?

Isn't it what every hip-hop and DnB producer always did?

I'l say like Anodyne. Clever, there's a lot of cutting and pasting work done, it sounds cool, but he invented nothing.

Edit: to be even more cynical, one could say the the true recipe to Madeon's success is a way older trick than sampling: playing only tracks the everybody knows.

Last edited by Stay'n Alive; 14-10-2011 at 10:45 PM..

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 11:21 PM   #6
Anodyne Industries
Anodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MCAnodyne Industries is a savage MC
Oakland, CA
MC Status: 53565178

This reminds me of a video I saw this week (and now I can't find it...)

As a creative person we're sometimes so immersed in your own ideas that we look at them and think "man... this isn't all that great. It's typical and bland and boring." Meanwhile we see another artist doing something and think, "Wow!! That's amazing. So innovative, creative, inspiring. How did they DO that?!"

It never occurs to us that the other artist may think the exact same thing of our own work. It's all about perspective.

Sometimes it takes an outsiders perspective to make things clear.

Madeon is very good at what he does. Picking out samples that sound good together and mashing them up into a song. But let's be honest here, Stay 'n Alive is right. This technique has been used for decades. Madeon just did it in his own particular way and it resonated with a lot of people.

I think the really interesting thing is that most people who viewed (and went nuts over) that video were impressed for three reasons:

1. They'd never heard a mashup like that before
2. They're not familiar with the setup or performance rig that Madeon used
3. The track contained samples from TONS of memorable songs throughout pop history. Talk about a nostalgia overload. Of COURSE people are going to love it.

Madeon was smart. He took clips of hits that people not only recognize but hits that have been proven on the pop charts to resonate with millions of people. He chopped them up and threw them together into an arrangement that worked. Finally, he created a video of his live performance knowing that people don't want to see some nerd on their laptop, they want to see the artist DOING something to "make" the music.

It's was a successful formula.
Anodyne Industries is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 05:44 AM   #7
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City
MC Status: 62780155

Please don't make me find my post explaining how this is done....

AI, that is a perfect analysis of what Madeon did/does.

Why don't we all wait until he releases something original because let's be honest, no one could ever afford to attain all of the rights to all of those hit songs and release it....

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

http://www.MKoussa.com/
MKoussa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
reds91
Soundwave Mangler
reds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MC
MC Status: 535371

You guys need to listen to Shuriken. For me, that's the reason why Madeon is amazing. The structure is incredible and how he blends sounds together is unlike anything I've heard before... this is coming from a big into complextro/electro house stuff.
reds91 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne Industries View Post
This reminds me of a video I saw this week (and now I can't find it...)

As a creative person we're sometimes so immersed in your own ideas that we look at them and think "man... this isn't all that great. It's typical and bland and boring." Meanwhile we see another artist doing something and think, "Wow!! That's amazing. So innovative, creative, inspiring. How did they DO that?!"

It never occurs to us that the other artist may think the exact same thing of our own work. It's all about perspective.

Sometimes it takes an outsiders perspective to make things clear.

Madeon is very good at what he does. Picking out samples that sound good together and mashing them up into a song. But let's be honest here, Stay 'n Alive is right. This technique has been used for decades. Madeon just did it in his own particular way and it resonated with a lot of people.

I think the really interesting thing is that most people who viewed (and went nuts over) that video were impressed for three reasons:

1. They'd never heard a mashup like that before
2. They're not familiar with the setup or performance rig that Madeon used
3. The track contained samples from TONS of memorable songs throughout pop history. Talk about a nostalgia overload. Of COURSE people are going to love it.

Madeon was smart. He took clips of hits that people not only recognize but hits that have been proven on the pop charts to resonate with millions of people. He chopped them up and threw them together into an arrangement that worked. Finally, he created a video of his live performance knowing that people don't want to see some nerd on their laptop, they want to see the artist DOING something to "make" the music.

It's was a successful formula.
SPOT ON. I do often find myself buying tracks and afterwards realizing there's not too much to it etc. but it doesnt matter if it hits the spot.

although you forgot to mention the ferociously used marketing ploy "and he's only 16!".
I've seen that angle used a lot.
It'd make a difference if it was the ninth symphony they've written,
but very young kids are growing up with sophisticated/cheap technology,
so they're more likely to take to it like ducks to water.

Anyway, hope he brings out a great album to live up to the hype.
I remember when Surkin was in vogue coz of his age etc,
but i haven't found one track of his i'd buy.

It just urks me when 'DJs' are regarded as artists,
and when they make their living off the backs of actual great artist/producers etc.
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #10
filterwerk
spaghetti machine
filterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MCfilterwerk is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 10880361

This kid is going to be fucking huge. If he plays his cards right and releases a kick ass debut album, it will be the nu-disco equivalent of skrillex. And he is 16 so he has a leg up on everyone else who got into production in their mid twenties.

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedachi View Post
Touching my bum hole whilst I stroke my cat, furiously.
filterwerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2011, 05:02 AM   #11
reds91
Soundwave Mangler
reds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MCreds91 is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds1 View Post
and when they make their living off the backs of actual great artist/producers etc.
He's a producer...
Old 20-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #12
Epoch
Radial Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds1 View Post

He creates alot of his own shit, and yes he has alot of remixes but whats wrong with that? Its fun remixing a song you really like by a artist that you really love.
Plus he didnt even come into the scene to be a DJ, he does it for fun.
But...
Why u sooo jelly of Madeon?
Old 20-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
LarsE
Regular Freak
LarsE is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Madeon is simply amazing! Nuff said.
LarsE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
jds1
jds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MCjds1 is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 2797866

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds91 View Post
He's a producer...
Yeah but his notoriety is largely based from the live performances of others' music.
I was making more of a comment in genera,l not specifically on Madeon.

I wish i knew about electronic music at such an age.
I only started when 24.
jds1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #15
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Quote:
He's a producer...
Intredasting...

Where are the limits that separate a DJ, a mashup artist and a producer?

It's all pretty arbitrary by then end of the day insn't it?

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #16
reds91
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay'n Alive View Post
Intredasting...

Where are the limits that separate a DJ, a mashup artist and a producer?

It's all pretty arbitrary by then end of the day insn't it?
I guess no one here has checked out his other songs, that's a shame. Seriously just type his name into youtube and see for yourself. He has more than one song... I know that's shocking.
Old 25-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #17
kev123
Minor Glitch
kev123 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron l View Post
that's a launchpad
kev123 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #18
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Quote:
I guess no one here has checked out his other songs, that's a shame. Seriously just type his name into youtube and see for yourself. He has more than one song... I know that's shocking.
oh wow, über-generic electro house/nu disco shite

....AND HE'S ONLY 16 !!!!!!!11!11!1
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2011, 09:19 PM   #19
Empty Reach
Empty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MCEmpty Reach is a savage MC
MC Status: 297154648

He's playing at I Techno this year...

FACT
Empty Reach is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #20
reds91
Soundwave Mangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
oh wow, über-generic electro house/nu disco shite

....AND HE'S ONLY 16 !!!!!!!11!11!1
He's 17 now but that's irrelevant, I loved his music before I knew that. And please do me a favour and point me in the direction of other artists who sound like him. Partly because I'd love to hear other artists like him but mostly cause I think you're jumping on the "automatically hate him because he got popular" bandwagon and have no idea what you're talking about. Prove me wrong

Advertisements