Producer -> Live set...
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
maxiedaniels
Learning The Ropes
maxiedaniels is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Producer -> Live set...

I've been doing electronic remixes for the last year or so, mainly for fun, and then lately posting on YouTube just to see if they get any attention.

Yesterday, I released a new remix, and somehow I've gotten the attention of a friend-of-a-friend who wants me to "open" for a well-known producer at a club in December.

I've only been interested in electronic music for a year or so, and the only electronic show I've ever been to is Benny Benassi. I'm not really sure how this type of thing works, what is expected of me, etc. My experience of being on stage is limited to being in a few indie/rock bands... "DJing" is completely foreign..

I suppose my question is, first, what kind of equipment should I look into? I'm a Logic guy at the moment, so I'm assuming I'll have to learn some other program to do a live set... I'm currently looking at Ableton, Traktor, and Serato...

Second (this sounds naive, I know), what is expected of me if I'm "opening" for someone? I'm guessing I'd be in a booth off to the side just playing a club for a bit, until the main act comes up? Or would it be much more involved than that?

Advertisements

maxiedaniels is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:18 PM   #2
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC
MC Status: 47763902
Re: Producer -> Live set...

You first need to decide what you exactly want to do as a performance- do you want to DJ? or do you want to do a Live PA thing? After you decide on what you're looking to do, we will be able to offer more advice.

And the opening act completely depends on the venue/performers.

------------------
Dataf1ow is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #3
maxiedaniels
Learning The Ropes

Hmm.. I mean, I'm a musician at heart, so I'd love to eventually be able to play keyboard ontop of things (or even guitar if that's acceptable)..

I don't want to feel overwhelmed at my first show, so I'm not sure I should get complicated. Probably just effects? Reverbs, filters... I hear ableton has a good live cutting/glitching feature?

That's the thing, I have no idea where to start. I suppose I'll throw a few parties over the next weeks and practice the basics. I mean, I don't even know what is involved with "cue points" and beat-matching and all that..
Old 02-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #4
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist
Dataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MCDataf1ow is a savage MC

I come from a performing background (orchestras, jazz bands, rock bands), and when i got into electronic stuff a few years ago I really focused on making my music 'playable' live. Ableton is THE program for live playing right now, unless you're a programmer and want to make your own tools in Max/Msp, or other similar environments. If you just want to do live improv with keys or guitar over your tracks, you could do it with itunes. Or if you want some more live control, you can do it from logic, and map some efffect parameters to a midi controller (check out the korg nano series, great price and provides some basic control paradigms). Good luck.

------------------
Old 02-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
maxiedaniels
Learning The Ropes

I suppose I'll start learning Ableton today then. Suppose I figure out mixing everything and live effects... what else do I need to do? How important is stage presence? Are you expected to talk to the crowd or is that only if you are well known? Again, I know how basic these questions are, I just don't know this world at all..
Old 02-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #6
Dataf1ow
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiedaniels View Post
I suppose I'll start learning Ableton today then. Suppose I figure out mixing everything and live effects... what else do I need to do? How important is stage presence? Are you expected to talk to the crowd or is that only if you are well known? Again, I know how basic these questions are, I just don't know this world at all..
All that depends on you. When i do a set, I just power through it as best I can, nor engaging the crowd in anyway other than my performance. I am super busy when I play though, so it really depends on your style and personality. The main thing you need to do is...../make good music

------------------
Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 PM   #7
maxiedaniels
Learning The Ropes

Cool haha... I mean I've always been rather quiet on stage, just focusing on making everything perfect..

I'll go with that then. Thanks for the help! Hopefully ableton isn't that bad... I've heard it's not as complicated as Logic, so I should be okay..
Old 06-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
Middie
Ghostly
Middie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MCMiddie is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 7202625

Hot tip: There's nothing more annoying than some douche talking to the crowd whilst playing. It seems to be big in America from all the videos I've seen, but think to yourself. You're there to see someone play music. Do you really want to hear some cock yelling over the top? I'd apply the same rule to your own performance. But there could be an MC at the club whose job is to do that. I dunno.
Middie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
maxiedaniels
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie View Post
Hot tip: There's nothing more annoying than some douche talking to the crowd whilst playing. It seems to be big in America from all the videos I've seen, but think to yourself. You're there to see someone play music. Do you really want to hear some cock yelling over the top? I'd apply the same rule to your own performance. But there could be an MC at the club whose job is to do that. I dunno.
Fair enough. Is it fine to mention my name/website at the end? I'm assuming yea, again I have virtually no experience with going to these events... let alone actually DJ'ing..

*Also*

I'm playing around in Ableton, and having a hard time sorting out how to properly transition from a straight beat to a swung beat.. and I do need to because it's my own material.

The two songs:

A straight transition isn't going to work (I don't think), so I figure it would have to do some sort of delay/filter effect until the beat isn't very clear on the outgoing track...
That, or use a very simple four-on-the-floor loop (quarter notes at most) in between the two tracks? That way, there wouldn't be a rhythm to differentiate between swung and straight?

I'm curious what experienced DJ's would do.. I'm just guessing here..

Last edited by maxiedaniels; 06-10-2011 at 10:31 AM..
Old 14-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
suttic01
Learning The Ropes
suttic01 is currently spamming hard

Hey M8,
for u it realy has to be ableton with a launchpad,
just remember most of the people in the venue wont have the fogiest who you are so my little tip would be to get a handfull of popular tracks in your style that the will all know, cut them into their constituant parts and chop and play with them using ableton.

Advertisements

suttic01 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote