introduce me to DEEP HOUSE
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

House / Dubstep Discussion of music similar to Deep Dish, Kaskade, Burial, Rusko, Deadmau5.

Old 19-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
henrebotha
Soundscaper
henrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MC
Cape Town
MC Status: 775314
introduce me to DEEP HOUSE

I just got a project for varsity: I have to remix a famous 80s rock song as a deep house track.

Now, I'm pretty sure I've never heard deep house in my life. I listen to alternative rock, trip-hop, weird avant-garde shit... Dance music is not my thing.

So what I'm humbly asking for is this: introduce me to deep house! From reading Wikipedia, I understand the genre peaked in the mid-90s, and found a second wind in the past decade. I'd love to hear very 'safe', typical examples of what constitutes deep house. I want the artists who are to deep house what Led Zeppelin are to rock, what Burial is to dubstep, what Hans Zimmer is to film music.

Any help here is massively appreciated!

Advertisements

------------------
henrebotha is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: not deep house. More like Deftones.
Old 20-08-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Postremo
Regular Freak
Postremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MCPostremo is a savage MC
MC Status: 998706
Re: introduce me to DEEP HOUSE

Frankie Knuckles (Classic)

Maya Jane Coles
The Timewriter
Aki Bergen
Lovebirds
Jimpster
Postremo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3463955

Chords and pads, especially 7ths 9ths and inversions. Hi-hats. Tracks rather than songs, *all* about the groove to keep things floating along without being boring. Not too many elements and things like filter automation to keep things interesting too. There is actually some variety within deep house (it can go from quite jazzy to tech-house) so I'd recommend downloading some DJ mixes to hear it in context rather than just tracks but:

Inland Knights (Drop Records), DiY Discs, Ralph Lawson (20/20 Vision), Dixon, Marcus Worgull, Stefan Goldmann (Innervisions), Manuel Tur, Giles Smith (SecretSundaze), Atjazz, Henrik Schwarz, Moodymann.

I don't have time at the mo but I will go through my HD to try and recommend you some actual examples but if you want the Electric Ladyland of deep house (for me anyway) download Andrew Weatherall's Essential Mix from 1996, if that's too much his own track Glide By Shooting is an excellent snapshot of the genre.

http://soundcloud.com/fxxp/andrew-we...-bloodsugar-1/

FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
FTD
Master of the LFO
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC

A couple more bona fide classics from the 90's that still get played and do the business today. Forgot to mention another key component (but not 100% essential) is the chopped up vocal stab.

Old 20-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
henrebotha
Soundscaper
henrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MChenrebotha is a savage MC
Cape Town
MC Status: 775314

Sick, thanks for the suggestions, when I have real internet access I'll check them out. Anyone else, feel free to chip in I'm a music theory sort of guy so describing aspects of the genre also helps me a lot.

Are there any synth sounds that are particularly central?

------------------
henrebotha is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #6
FTD
Master of the LFO

Deep house does cover quite a bit of variety and eras so will have to generalise a bit. There are no goto synth sounds as such but on the whole keep it organic and sounding like 'real' instruments - rhodes, piano, clavs, b4 organ etc. That's not to say synths aren't used especially for they big wooshing pads, bass and FX. Like I said I'm generalising and I'm sure I can find a deep track that is very synthy or metallic but on the whole keep your groove components natural and warm. No need for the bit crusher or to overdrive compressors here. Also most deep house is written in minor keys.

The links I posted yesterday were of old classics that have stood the test of time, but currently Manuel Tur is my favourite deep house producer. This will give you a sense as to where the scene is today.

Totally love this track and the subtle yet very effictive changes in the pad sounds.

Finally this a good example of how 'extreme' (for want of a better word) deep house can get, certainly one for the aficionados but I think it's a work of sublime, restrained genius. A totally timeless, emotive track.

Hope this helps and be sure to let me here your work when finished.
Old 15-10-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
antonsheridan
Regular Freak
antonsheridan is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Any help here is massively appreciated!
antonsheridan is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #8
koneyn
Sample Destroyer
koneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MC
Belgrade
MC Status: 5985408

All you need to hear: http://www.deepershades.net/dsoh-shows/index.php

------------------
koneyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Lisandor
Regular Freak
Lisandor is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

New EP from Jona!!!

Lisandor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #10
Kozmotron
Radial Developer
Kozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the roughKozmotron is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

some good deep house songs in my opinion:

Andrey MeLafOn - Lounge Way
Bent - Always (Ashley Beedle's Mahavishnu Remix)
Deep & Wide - Esa Magia
Karizma feat DJ Spen - For the Love (of House) (Vocal Mix)
Lisa Shaw - Let It Ride (Jimpster Remix)
Miusha - Out Of Mind
Only Paradise - You Got the Way
Schmoov! - Playground

Advertisements

Kozmotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote