Mastered tracks still fall a couple dBs short of professional producers tracks.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 25-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
DJFinylFaze
Regular Freak
DJFinylFaze is currently spamming hard
New York
MC Status: 10
Mastered tracks still fall a couple dBs short of professional producers tracks.

For my latest track I followed D.Ramirez youtube guide on Mixing down a track. On the master channel with no limiter my track doesn't go past 0db. I add Izotope Ozone 4 limiter and boost the volume up about 6.5dbs and it sounds great but when compared to other professional tracks it's still falls a bit short on loudness. But when I look at the wave from of a professional track most of it looks clipped off. Should push the limiter more, like 8dbs?

Here's the preview I the track I'm talking about soundcloud.com/djfinylfaze/amplify-finyl-faze

Advertisements

DJFinylFaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
TIMT
Soundscaper
TIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MCTIMT is a savage MC
MC Status: 418660
Re: Mastered tracks still fall a couple DBs short of professional producers tracks.

As much as people would like to think so loudness is not an absolute measurement.just because your track has a big rms read out and doesn't bounce to much from that readout (dynamic range) does not mean your track is loud.

E.g most of the french shit (pre sebastiAn album)has an rms of about -10 and is shit loud especially justice's cross album. the reason for this is the mids are extremely loud but there is an absence of low end,if there was more low end the reading would be alot higher,but mids and highs are what we usually associate with loudness not low end.

Loudness is achieved by playing on how are ears perceive frequencies, making the ones we are most sensitive to more up in your face (800hz ish and up).

Another thing which may give your track a large rms readout is if you have a specific element that takes up alot of headroom in the low end (sustained sine loud) this would make your track readout as having a high rms but,it wouldn't actually be perceived as loud..perceived being the key word.

TIMT

Last edited by TIMT; 25-05-2012 at 08:30 AM..
TIMT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
DJFinylFaze
Regular Freak
DJFinylFaze is currently spamming hard
New York
Re: Mastered tracks still fall a couple DBs short of professional producers tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMT View Post
As much as people would like to think so loudness is not an absolute measurement.just because your track has a big rms read out and doesn't bounce to much from that readout (dynamic range) does not mean your track is loud.

Loudness is achieved by playing on how are ears perceive frequencies, making the ones we are most sensitive to more up in your face (800hz ish and up).

Another thing which may give your track a large rms readout is if you have a specific element that takes up alot of headroom in the low end (sustained sine loud) this would make your track readout as having a high rms but,it wouldn't actually be perceived as loud..perceived being the key word.

TIMT
Thanks for the in depth insite. I'm going to listen to some other tracks and do a spectrum analysis on them with ableton and compare them to mine. To figure out where I can improve to give it that little bit of extra. I must admit on the master channel I cut below 30Hz and above 19KHz but I didn't boost any mids.
DJFinylFaze is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7237279

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJFinylFaze View Post
For my latest track I followed D.Ramirez youtube guide on Mixing down a track.
I have identified your problem.

Get a source that is not known for having ghost producers for most of their career. I'm not saying Ramirez doesn't know what he's talking about at all, but he definitely isn't someone I'd ask about mixing from.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
relic (25-06-2013)
Old 27-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

You should get pro mastering. Seriously it's worth the money if you plan on releasing. Most pro tracks are mastered by someone other than the producer, it has a lot to to with objectiveness.

That being said, boosting more depends on how much gain reduction you are already getting. With ozone you probably don't want any more than 4dB of attenuation. You may get pumping distortion.

Last edited by taylorfrank; 20-06-2012 at 02:01 AM..

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts
Re: Mastered tracks still fall a couple dBs short of professional producers tracks.

Since we have no reference, how much reduction (dB) do you have on the limiter? What's the final average RMS? How even, or tilted, is the spectrum curve post EQ and pre compression/limiter? Etc...

Best answer is to send it to a professional ME while you continue to study/work/tweak/learn the art of mastering. There are usually multiple answers to one "simple question".

Also - people, it's dB (after Alexander Graham Bell). Not db.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593
Re: Mastered tracks still fall a couple dBs short of professional producers tracks.

Ozone is for boys. Mastering engineers have better tools and skills.
The previous post about the mids is correct. The 2KHz to 4KHz region is a very sensitive region when searching for high loudness.

------------------

MaximalSound.com__Online Mastering Service
Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
YoMyEX
Eternal Echoer
YoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MCYoMyEX is a savage MC
Miami Beach, FL
MC Status: 4315538

Here is your "problem," OP. Your track most likely has too much dynamic range, and you need to squash your individual tracks/busses more in order to achieve the loudness you desire. Drop some limiters and compressors on your busses and begin to shave-off a dB or two on each. That could definitely be the key. Then again, people really don't care about loudness as much as you think they do, especially if it is being played by itself and they are not constantly switching back and fourth between your track and his, and even then, The music is really the most important part of your song, not a couple of dBs. But, I digress.

Last edited by YoMyEX; 06-06-2012 at 10:12 PM..

------------------
YoMyEX is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
pbolle
Minor Glitch
pbolle is currently spamming hard

Mine is the same way, but I don't have the money for professional mastering, but I think my mastering suffices for now - if someone really likes my music and wants to sign it or something, they can master it them on their own.
pbolle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942831
Thanked 5,693 Times in 3,586 Posts

Any pro mastering engineer isn't gonna slap a single limiter on it and that's all she wrote. Ozone isn't a bad one by any means but it's still going to need some help from another 1/2/3 compression stages to get a decent rms level without throwing a huge muffled blanket over the sound. Not to mention the whole mixing stage which is a huge percentage of how the final product will sound.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #11
CallAndResponse
Soundscaper
CallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond reputeCallAndResponse has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4210

Despite what many people will tell you (and I'll probably get attacked for saying this) professional mastering is completely overrated in electronic music. It is all about the mixdown. Want proof? Go listen to LuckyDate's music, he has never sent a single song to a mastering engineer in his life (according to him) yet his final product is near flawless. He says that he just gets his mix down right and then cranks a good limiter up to taste.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MIXDOWN!!!

A clean mix is everything, from there your Ozone Limiter will do the trick you just have to put it to taste. I've run a really good mix through Ozone, I squashed it to a brick just for fun and it still didn't even sound bad just really loud (don't do this though lol).

Another important factor is sound selection. Are you filling out the frequency spectrum? If you aren't then you won't get your volume up to a professional level without having to completely ruin the sound because you are having to bring up extremely subtle frequencies in order to close the dynamic range and bring up the overall volume and that means HEAVY limiting is needed which is rough. Also don't pay too much attention to RMS. Numbers mean nearly nothing, what it sounds like is what matters. If it sounds good to you then it doesn't matter if the RMS is 20, 10 or even 1 for crying out loud all that matters is that it sounds good!
CallAndResponse is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to CallAndResponse
Triton64 (27-06-2013)
Old 29-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallAndResponse View Post
Despite what many people will tell you (and I'll probably get attacked for saying this) professional mastering is completely overrated in electronic music. It is all about the mixdown. Want proof? Go listen to LuckyDate's music, he has never sent a single song to a mastering engineer in his life (according to him) yet his final product is near flawless. He says that he just gets his mix down right and then cranks a good limiter up to taste.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MIXDOWN!!!

A clean mix is everything, from there your Ozone Limiter will do the trick you just have to put it to taste. I've run a really good mix through Ozone, I squashed it to a brick just for fun and it still didn't even sound bad just really loud (don't do this though lol).

Another important factor is sound selection. Are you filling out the frequency spectrum? If you aren't then you won't get your volume up to a professional level without having to completely ruin the sound because you are having to bring up extremely subtle frequencies in order to close the dynamic range and bring up the overall volume and that means HEAVY limiting is needed which is rough. Also don't pay too much attention to RMS. Numbers mean nearly nothing, what it sounds like is what matters. If it sounds good to you then it doesn't matter if the RMS is 20, 10 or even 1 for crying out loud all that matters is that it sounds good!
this. it's all in the mix.
also, take a reaaaaaally good listen to professional music and analyse the frequency spectrum properly. for example, an hihat usually doesn't take up much frequency range at all, yet still sounds incredibly clear and right up to you as it should in the mix:

you might want to take a look at frequency masking and read about subtractive eq and similar subjects. a high RMS means nothing.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
gbsr
gbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MCgbsr is a savage MC
gothenburg, sweden.
MC Status: 33141603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Any pro mastering engineer isn't gonna slap a single limiter on it and that's all she wrote. Ozone isn't a bad one by any means but it's still going to need some help from another 1/2/3 compression stages to get a decent rms level without throwing a huge muffled blanket over the sound. Not to mention the whole mixing stage which is a huge percentage of how the final product will sound.
also, this.

------------------
gbsr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to gbsr
Numerical (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker
RaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Why do you want it so loud?
RaymondLeggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:59 PM   #15
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389848
Thanked 2,828 Times in 1,763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondLeggs View Post
Why do you want it so loud?
Because transients makes the volume knob seem farther away than we are willing to reach and turn up.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Evelon
Numerical (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 11:55 PM   #16
neyus
Digital Surfer
neyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond reputeneyus has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4310

When this happens it usually means that you should go back to your mix and do a better job.

Good composition = Good Mixing = Good Mastering

------------------
neyus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
BillyG
Regular Freak
BillyG is currently spamming hard

Also depends on what kind of compressor and or limiter you use, the brainworx XL is pretty good
BillyG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
Laurend
Sample Destroyer
Laurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MCLaurend is a savage MC
Old Orleans
MC Status: 592593

The settings are much more important than the gears you're using.

------------------

MaximalSound.com__Online Mastering Service
Laurend is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:33 PM   #19
RaymondLeggs
Analog Lurker
RaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really niceRaymondLeggs is just really nice
MC Status: 410

I try to keep as much dynamic range as possible when I tweak my levels, I dont want to bury a sound I spent a long time tweaking. I dont have a professional mastering suite, but I do listen to how each instrument sits in the mix, before I finish a project.

Its not always about loud, would you want a chillout track to be as loud as a big room hard house track? NO! or a vocal trance track to be as loud as a brostep track?

I learned my lesson in levels when I did my track called subliminality. I still feel its too loud in places compared to he track that inspired it.
RaymondLeggs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: stay by Tydi feat Dia frampton.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942831
Thanked 5,693 Times in 3,586 Posts

Also look into using Mid/Side compression instead of one setting for the entire mix. Really helps to compress the middle a bit more than the side since generally the bass frequencies take up more center space (and also your drums are pretty much centered and those quick louder transients are what the compressor sees the most). I even add another compression stage and compress the Left/Right separately when it calls for it. Shave off a dB or 2 at a time on each stage at the most and there will be less audible pumping since each compressor in the sequence has to catch less and less dynamics, yet still retain most of it's original clarity.

Advertisements

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote