What is your technique for cleaning out unwanted samples from your entire library?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 31-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #1
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17684255
What is your technique for cleaning out unwanted samples from your entire library?

In the midst of a major cleaning and reorganization of my computer. One key task is removing all unwanted samples. Using Windows to audition samples and delete them seems clunky. I'm especially interested in how it should be done for all of Maschines library and expansion packs.

What are your tricks for quickly weeding out samples to be removed

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 09:42 PM   #2
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
Re: What is your technique for cleaning out unwanted samples from your entire library

Perhaps it's more about moving all to a separate drive and adding the wanted samples rather than deleting unwanted?

But then with Maschine expansions, arent they "installed" in a certain way?
Old 31-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #3
Daggit
Radial Developer
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
¡¡ Survive !!
MC Status: 3110
Re: What is your technique for cleaning out unwanted samples from your entire library

1) Foobar2000
--> assign ctrl-D to "Delete selected file"
--> assign ctrl-E to "Convert..." (more versatile than copy/move)
--> set play mode to "Repeat track", order to "default"
--> set shell integration to NOT "bring to front" on new sounds.
--> set all audio files to play using Foobar2000 in Explorer

Now all you have to do is use the arrow keys or mouse to select the tracks to play, and then delete, or convert (makes a copy in format you want) as needed, all within Foobar2000. Also, you can disable repeat track and just stop the playlist when you need to. And you can have Foobar2000 play the sounds in the background and stop (disable repeat) if you want to delete or rename within Windows Explorer.

------------------
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
1) Foobar2000

Now all you have to do is use the arrow keys or mouse to select the tracks to play, and then delete, or convert (makes a copy in format you want) as needed, all within Foobar2000. Also, you can disable repeat track and just stop the playlist when you need to. And you can have Foobar2000 play the sounds in the background and stop (disable repeat) if you want to delete or rename within Windows Explorer.
Daaamn. This is spot on. Pretty well exactly what I had in mind but didn't think it existed. Thanks good sir, once again
Thanks to Deep Dose
Daggit (01-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 05:56 AM   #5
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth
MC Status: 2710

do whaat>

------------------
Lotus_Jewel is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:51 AM   #6
Daggit
Radial Developer
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
¡¡ Survive !!
Icon2 Re: What is your technique for cleaning out unwanted samples from your entire library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Jewel View Post
do whaat>
you have to edit the Preferences.
There is a support forum for Foobar2000 at [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

They can probably walk you through the Preferences edits.

------------------
Old 03-08-2017, 03:32 AM   #7
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31210

My way is to bomb everything and start over. I look at it this way - if I don't know where to find it again, it wasn't important anyway and I was just hoarding shit. Too many samples is just a better reason for me to zen up and stop collecting shit

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Lotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond reputeLotus_Jewel has a reputation beyond repute
Earth

i just use a mirror drive for my OS and format the workstation when the OS needs to be re done for whatever reason. as for my file system for music, thats on a separate drive which i never allow to fill up to begin with. I have a small library of samples and patches. i love using reason because i can make the samples there, no need to save hundreds or thousands of separate files... just create the generation engines or platforms, templates, and i am good to go.

------------------
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
Daggit (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:44 AM   #9
Daggit
Radial Developer
¡¡ Survive !!
Icon7 Re: What is your technique for cleaning out unwanted samples from your entire library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus_Jewel View Post
I have a small library of samples and patches. i love using reason because i can make the samples there, no need to save hundreds or thousands of separate files... just create the generation engines or platforms, templates, and i am good to go.
Yeah, there is something to be said for using templates. It's a bit more like using a rack of hardware. I might need to reinvestigate that approach. Thanks

------------------
Thanks to Daggit
Lotus_Jewel (06-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 01:56 AM   #10
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169360
Thanked 3,387 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote:
1) Foobar2000

Thanks for this, D..it's handy to know for future editing..even though I don't currently have Foobar installed.

As for DD's question..I'm with Volt on this..just dump any folder that you a) didn't pay for..b) have never used..or c) the title of which doesn't attack your attention.

That said, it's still not such a bad idea to back shit up if you have the drive space off of your system..just in case you mistakenly delete something you wanted to keep.

I've got a 1TB external drive full of stuff..and I honestly can say I don't think I've ever used even 1% of the samples..I just find stuff and grab it..just in case I ever need it, which is a totally bad habit to develop and which leads to the same situation DD is now in..swamped in sounds!

Personally, I'm going to have to weed my stuff out soon, myself..been putting it off now for a while, but the drive is nearly full to bursting point, so I'll have to do something..either delete stuff or become more selective in what and how I use my sounds.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:24 AM   #11
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

Quote:
Yeah, there is something to be said for using templates. It's a bit more like using a rack of hardware. I might need to reinvestigate that approach. Thanks
yea i think so, i read a bit on it and said hey now, even though youd have to make like what a dozen templates, it would be nice to just open something and everything that would be needed is already setup for you to choose from. it just saves a lil time i think, and helps with being organized. which is a plus for me cause i like to create small piles of clothes and i see some shorts there, and a shirt there, some socks over there, and yea, imagine how it looks when im trying to save tens or hundreds of files.... lol.

------------------
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
Daggit (06-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 02:31 AM   #12
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer

Some great input here guys. Headed up north for my week of work, gonna try some things out. Thanks again
Old 12-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #13
Daggit
Radial Developer
¡¡ Survive !!

OK, UPDATE...

Here's a new technique I learned recently...

1) run VST instrument ShortCircuit v1.1.2
2) Click on "Multi" so that you see the onscreen display of a blank keyboard grid
3) Go to Windows and select up to 49 WAV files (for a 49-key MIDI controller) and drag them onto the grid of ShortCircuit where it shows "1" (first key of octave 1).
The area occupied will be darkened/highlighted and on the left will be a long list of all of your audio files selected. You can now save the project containing ShortCircuit and you can play each WAV file via individual keys on your MIDI controller.

4) To delete a file, just go to Windows explorer and delete it; you can still play it in ShortCircuit until you quit.

The advantage of this is that it requires less configuration time and is useful for seeing exactly how many samples you have spread across a MIDI keyboard.

Good luck. download --> [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Thanks to Daggit
Lotus_Jewel (13-08-2017)
Old 13-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,375 Times in 1,862 Posts

define "unwanted sample"

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
lol

So gay.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #15
Lotus_Jewel
Radial Developer
Earth

since lately, ive been going thru my collection of samples or patches, and i would define unwanted as those pesky samples you cant use... i get an error sometimes, saying bad format.

idk how to organize my reason refills tbh... they are scattered and un categorized... but all in one or two folders... at least at the top of the dir they are.

i use shortcuts for folders or patches i use often and like a lot... also i have learned to use the search function... this is more like what i want or need...

search thor, and EVERY thor patch comes up thats on that drive... i can than sort by column for the sub type.
but some patches or refills are in a folder say, and i cannot access that outside of reason, for some reason. only in reason can i access its contents and that really pisses me off. i need to use the search thing more. i just stack the files up. idk if i can organize them all... and keep them that way.

i just did a a scan for sequence relating to thor... and it searches @ 8600 samples, i have roughly 9 thousand samples, patches or what not related to music production for my daw, either it be wav or rex or rsn

thats a lot of shit... even though i know that is nothing... ive had TB drives of samples my buddy and i shared and collaborated to make. it took us a couple years to fill it up. and we each have one but i cant find mine, its been years. i had to start over. which i think is the reason i dont want to buy up all those bundles or patch upgrades ... i rarely have found what i was looking for and they are expensive when you add it all up, and then, look at what ya got for it. do those loops you bought fit exactly the music you want to make? i often find it troubling to find exactly what i want to share or create, project or infer... i really have to create it.

Last edited by Lotus_Jewel; 13-08-2017 at 06:10 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to Lotus_Jewel
Daggit (13-08-2017)