Noob Tracker/Modular Tracker y.y
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 17-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
l3ug
Analog Lurker
l3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of light
Livorno
MC Status: 460
Noob Tracker/Modular Tracker y.y

Unlike the thanatos "The Renoise Thread", I wanted to focus on which TrackreDaws are best to start, whether it's worth using them today, as there are many software like ProTools, Ableton, FLSTudio etc ...

Are the softwere useful only for Linux / Ubuntu clients?

Is there any tracker expert who clarifies the difference between a modular tracker such as SunVox and Renoise and a "pure" tracker like Modplug/Milky Tracker/Cheese Tracker/the old Amiga??(thanks wikipedia lol)

SunVox is a freewere and looks really good, I still have not had much time to dedicate it to it. And since these softwares start from virtually zero, I would be grateful to all of you if I received tutorials / tips / to start creating a live set fast, or maybe these are just software fanatics of information language and if I've been out of it Now, I should keep getting wide

I personally like a lot, both aesthetically and musically * ^*, Renoise's presets are great(Icreate a clone folder for play this sound in my Ableton directory), and I still thank the user who put on this forum to dispose of a 1Gb "X-Mas" pack full of sounds, loops and presets.

On renoise I find it very difficult to start vst, but also to develop and build good amen breaks, I do not know shortcuts because I'm in trouble when I have to build a song through different patterns

A few years ago I was playing more often now it's like starting from scratch and I'd like to figure out if I have to leave more "basic" trackers or just see dozens of tutorials on YT.

In conclusion, I'm undecided if it's worth dedicating myself to this type of software for me very difficult, and if so, what software I could use to start moving my first steps in this "new" world of trackers: D

I read that Renoise, ModPlugTracker aka OpenMTP, but also Skale Tracker are "third generation" and I also read that FastTracker (2.08 / 2.09) is very obsolete and may not start on modern PCs

Even Milkytracker looks cute, their site is well done: D

EDIT: i find the SunVox freewere link, hop no hurt nobady sharing: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by l3ug; 18-07-2017 at 12:54 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
Philip K. Dick

l3ug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts
Re: Noob Tracker/Modular Tracker y.y

Only you can decide what it's worth you putting your time, money and effort into.
Want to play drums?
You have to learn drums.
(ok that argument doesn't stand in all scenarios but you get what I mean, right?)

I had a bit of a go with Renoise back a few years ago and although it kind of confused me at first there was something that I liked about the different approach.
However, I did find that I was spending a lot of time relearning how to do things I already knew how to do in other DAWs and then I wondered what the benefit really was.
I guess what I'm saying is that if you really want to embrace the difference between DAWs to any real extent then you almost have to be willing to work in different ways within the different software.
At times that's fun but it can also get tedious and a bit dice-rolly. It depends how much time you have I suppose.

Sunvox was similar. It's almost too powerful as a tracker. I guess it depends what you expect from a tracker and what level of user you are.

TBH I ended up compromising a little by just using Ableton Live in session view instead. I found it was a nice way to combine a live/jamming situation and sketching out songs/tracks.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
l3ug (19-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
l3ug
Analog Lurker
l3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of lightl3ug is a glorious beacon of light
Livorno

The question is that there are many tracker software around! If you tell me that renoise and sunvox are among the best, try to spend my little time (cause job T.T) in trying to understand one, the other or both!
Thanks to the repository, true battery i do some time u. U and above I miss a decent base of true piano, accords, melodies, etc ...
I usually do it all in the ear, of course it would be all the quicker if I had good bases! The same discourse about queti trackers softwere: if I had some good languages for c ++, java script etc I would probably find it "beneficial" or better in the first approach!

The fact of the language that they say around, can make the sound more pure or better (as an example, the ableton Warp, in spite of the various beat-complex-real pitch modes, can not play " Well "a sample, for example FLStudio is always a good Daw to do sound design ^^)

------------------
Philip K. Dick

Old 20-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #4
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7710

Renoise is great, but really a "Power user" type of thing, probably. I've never had any luck getting people interested in trackers using that as a reference.

The only route I can really recommend is the path I went down, starting on something really limited (And free) and then working your way around the options based on what you want that your current tracker doesn't have. The first tracker I ever used had four channels and no sampling.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
lolirl (24-07-2017)
Old 31-07-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
l3ug
Analog Lurker
Livorno

thanks man! yeah indeed i just download some free-tracker. there are so easy to find on google! ^^
and renoise is really good too! the best thing is about the FX and sample editor, the mixer is good too.
Even though I'm thinking these trackers are good for those who know how to work on it(like people accustomed to use c++/javascript etc.), it's like just another DAW as Ableton Live. In AblLive we can create things like renoise and is much less limited! Maybe I've been fooled by the aesthetics of these trakers, however they have a sound quality in real waveforms, perhaps superior to Ableton (which is really good!)
It's still an alternative way of making electronic music I've always considered a bit, I like to have some little satisfaction and back to Ableton, I'm still better than before, I use some renoise samples and even some amen breaks that I built / modified in Renoise.

------------------
Philip K. Dick

Old 31-07-2017, 05:03 PM   #6
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389548
Thanked 2,822 Times in 1,759 Posts

I have most experience with Jeskola Buzz (free modular tracker). Still to this day. I love it!
Now it's even an X64 version of it available.

Renoise didn't convinced me fully (this was a few years ago however). I'm pretty sure I didn't spend enough time with it. All the big tracker-guys use it, and I know it is good and has superb features.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Edit: I'm not saying Buzz is any better. "Best" is subjective. Coke vs Pepsi, PC vs mac, Latino vs Philipino. blah.

Last edited by Evelon; 31-07-2017 at 05:24 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote