BB58 - Stay Bassy
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 AM   #1
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 7110
BB58 - Stay Bassy

Open Genre. I like genre bb's but it was taking me too long to decide on a genre, figured it makes more sense to leave the genre bb's to people who are excited about introducing a specific one.

Let's keep it bass oriented in the spirit of staying in the same headspace as the 60hz compilation, our current companion community project.

1) Minimum 2min 45 sec of any genre as long as you focus on bass
2) 80-180bpm
3) One instance of an additional software/hardware instrument of your choice as long as it's used as a bass instrument.

SAMPLES: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES
Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday (9th June 2017 )

Submissions close Tuesday 11 days later (20th June 2017) 23:59 and voting opens at 00:00 (immediately after).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day, Thursday (22nd June 2017). The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Friday 23rd June 2017 ) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

LATE SUBMISSIONS ARE VOID OF RECEIVING A VOTE.

Discussion has shown that things would be much simpler and better for the bb's if we keep this specific rule strict, so be warned!

ANYONE CAN VOTE REGARDLESS OF SUBMITTING ETC.

The Samples Countdown until submissions close: All times are synchronised to UTC.

Advertisements

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11470754
Re: BB58-Stay Bassy

Here's a jumping bass:

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69878919

Groovy.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:43 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 102200
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,330 Posts

Max 180 BPM eh? That leaves some genre room.

------------------

Submissions end August 31st!
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Max 180 BPM eh? That leaves some genre room.
Yeah, from 80bpm to 180bpm and still not good enough for dubstep people. So they write in 140 but make it halftime to get it to 70. Ungrateful pricks I must say.
-Agu- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to -Agu-
Oatbag (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 5960
Re: BB58 - Stay Bassy

Hey guys, I do not want to disappear without a word, so here is the word: I am out for a while. I hope you all keep it up and I will see how things look for me in a few months. until then I am going to focus on other projects that I have not been working on.
GL to all and carry on.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 102200
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
Yeah, from 80bpm to 180bpm and still not good enough for dubstep people. So they write in 140 but make it halftime to get it to 70. Ungrateful pricks I must say.
Halftime feel is a different thing I swear!

------------------

Submissions end August 31st!
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:50 PM   #8
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
Hey guys, I do not want to disappear without a word, so here is the word: I am out for a while. I hope you all keep it up and I will see how things look for me in a few months. until then I am going to focus on other projects that I have not been working on.
GL to all and carry on.
Boo!

------------------
Old 19-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
brb
Commie SJW

Getting these in before my laptop melts in the summer heat:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

1) Track a=3:36, track b=5:15
2) a=120bpm, b=140bpm
3) additional instruments: a=3xosc (used for the sub kicks), b=n/a

If I get a chance to work on them more over the next 24 hours then I'll update this post.

------------------
Thanks to brb
7asid (20-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver

Lets get those tracks in folks!

------------------

Old 20-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #11
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki

Completely missed this one guys, sry.

------------------
Old 20-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #12
brb
Commie SJW

You still have over 3 hours, IO nearly won in under half the time!

------------------
Thanks to brb
I/O_Madness (21-06-2017)
Old 20-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #13
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
Helsinki

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
You still have over 3 hours, IO nearly won in under half the time!
Might give it a go for lolz

EDIT: the requirement of 2:45 song length is going to suck ass tho.

Last edited by -Agu-; 20-06-2017 at 10:57 PM..

------------------
Old 20-06-2017, 11:33 PM   #14
brb
Commie SJW

T minus 61 minutes und counting.

------------------
Old 21-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #15
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
Helsinki

Honestly not gonna make it by any chance, will post the outcome still.

------------------
Old 21-06-2017, 12:16 AM   #16
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
brb (21-06-2017)
Old 21-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #17
7asid
Knob Twiddler
Vancouver

Alrighty and voting is open. I vote BRB

------------------

Thanks to 7asid
brb (21-06-2017)
Old 21-06-2017, 01:11 AM   #18
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
Helsinki

Here's my awful 3h attempt. It's only 40 bars and judging from how I/O did a full tune in less than an hour and unlike me, finished in time, I think I screwed up big time.

I'll vote tomorrow with fresh ears.

------------------
Thanks to -Agu-
brb (21-06-2017)
Old 21-06-2017, 01:51 AM   #19
brb
Commie SJW

I vote for 7asid, given that it would be impossible to vote for anyone else. Solid chewn with lots of variety.

I love -Agu-'s techno too. Bewming and clanging.

------------------
Thanks to brb
-Agu- (21-06-2017)
Old 21-06-2017, 03:34 AM   #20
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18760

I vote 7asid. The vocal sample ( I think) was a good touch/layer. I enjoyed the drum reverb around the middle of the song, then the bass and drums towards the end really kicked it up a notch and ended the whole thing pretty strong.

brb, I liked A more, so I'll talk about that one (though I saw some parallels in mixing/sound design between the two). I liked the dubbiness combined with that funky guitar loop. It was even downright danceable in some parts! The synth is a little out of place (too 80's maybe?). If it had been a bit older skool or a bit newer and cleaner, it could have passed for an older track or a new downtempo one, but it just didn't quite fit.

Agu, you had a good start, shame there wasn't more there. Word that came to my mind was "industrial", which is where I started with my bass song that never could go anywhere. That sounded like some good promise for such a short session, I'd be lucky to see 16 bars in the time you had!

Advertisements

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote