Where do you find free and legal samples?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #1
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960
Where do you find free and legal samples?

Hey guys,

So I thought I would start a thread about this since I couldn't find one on the forum.

Where do you all go for free, quality, legal samples?

Personally, the Coverse sample library has been my go to for the past few months!
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: https://soundcloud.com/souleance
Old 04-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 169760
Thanked 3,395 Times in 2,533 Posts
Re: Where do you find free and legal samples?

If by "free and legal samples" you mean samples of songs / tracks / tunes that are well known, then in most cases you will need to get "clearance" in order to use them in your mix, which usually means you're going to have to pay a fee upfront..or come to some sort of arrangement to pay for the use of the same.

If by, on the other hand, you're talking about generic instrument sounds and recorded vocal sample sets, then there are many out there that are free to use. Just be careful to read the small print though, as nearly all companies / people offering them have some sort of conditions attached..such as giving them a credit on the release.

Also, be aware that some are merely "demos"..which are sometimes different, in that they are given away free, but in order to use them legally in a mix, you first need to buy the full sample set they come from..

For the record, not all demo packs are like that..just SOME..but you need to know which is which, so make sure to read any small print or text files that come bundled with the downloads..BEFORE you use them.

All that said, here's a few places where you can grab some free samples...

Offers a wide selection of free sets to choose from.

Tthis site is all about free samples..if you can't find something here, then it's time to stop making music.

This site really needs no introduction or explanation.

They have some free sets on offer, but you need to look for them. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose the format you're interested in and then go digging..

Another famous one-stop shop offering 61,162 free sample
downloads.

Hope you find the above helpful.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:54 AM   #3
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
If by "free and legal samples" you mean samples of songs / tracks / tunes that are well known, then in most cases you will need to get "clearance" in order to use them in your mix, which usually means you're going to have to pay a fee upfront..or come to some sort of arrangement to pay for the use of the same.

If by, on the other hand, you're talking about generic instrument sounds and recorded vocal sample sets, then there are many out there that are free to use. Just be careful to read the small print though, as nearly all companies / people offering them have some sort of conditions attached..such as giving them a credit on the release.

Also, be aware that some are merely "demos"..which are sometimes different, in that they are given away free, but in order to use them legally in a mix, you first need to buy the full sample set they come from..

For the record, not all demo packs are like that..just SOME..but you need to know which is which, so make sure to read any small print or text files that come bundled with the downloads..BEFORE you use them.

All that said, here's a few places where you can grab some free samples...

Offers a wide selection of free sets to choose from.

Tthis site is all about free samples..if you can't find something here, then it's time to stop making music.

This site really needs no introduction or explanation.

They have some free sets on offer, but you need to look for them. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose the format you're interested in and then go digging..

Another famous one-stop shop offering 61,162 free sample
downloads.

Hope you find the above helpful.
Thanks a lot A.M., I have been using sampleswap for a while now but will definitely check out the other ones as well! Definitely good to mention that it is essential to read the fine print when it comes to sample clearance too! Indeed, I was mentioning cleared instrument sounds and recorded vocal sample sets. I feel that some of those can sometimes be a great starting point to spark creativity. Though not crossing copyright law boundaries is an essential thing to keep in mind.
Thanks to Rvrsal
A.M (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
Thanks a lot A.M., I have been using sampleswap for a while now but will definitely check out the other ones as well! Definitely good to mention that it is essential to read the fine print when it comes to sample clearance too! Indeed, I was mentioning cleared instrument sounds and recorded vocal sample sets. I feel that some of those can sometimes be a great starting point to spark creativity. Though not crossing copyright law boundaries is an essential thing to keep in mind.
Yeah..the thing is there's nothing wrong with using such samples as the focus point of a track either, if it's good enough for doing just that. Sometime you can end up with a really cool track, mainly structured around a couple of samples.

There's always been..and probably always will be a large body of people out there that look down on doing that, but that's just being dumb..it doesn't matter what tools you use to make music..what counts is the original piece you end up with in the end.

Basically, whatever works for the individual is what works.

------------------
Old 05-06-2017, 02:36 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31460

I record my own so I don't have to go through any type of clearance shit

Or I buy specific stuff I know I'll actually use (like drums)

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 03:00 AM   #6
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I record my own so I don't have to go through any type of clearance shit

Or I buy specific stuff I know I'll actually use (like drums)
The sites I linked to above don't require any clearance..they are 100% free to use "as is"..unless stated otherwise.

Just wanted to be clear on that..in case anyone takes from what you said that the sites mention need you to get clearance.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
Vault O))) (07-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Yeah..the thing is there's nothing wrong with using such samples as the focus point of a track either, if it's good enough for doing just that. Sometime you can end up with a really cool track, mainly structured around a couple of samples.

There's always been..and probably always will be a large body of people out there that look down on doing that, but that's just being dumb..it doesn't matter what tools you use to make music..what counts is the original piece you end up with in the end.

Basically, whatever works for the individual is what works.
Couldn't agree more tbh. I think everyone draws their own line with regards to using samples, my line is premade packs, which I would never think of using. But if samples are used creatively without simply dragging and dropping a bunch of loops on top of each other, I feel like they can simply be regarded as very malleable instruments!
Thanks to Rvrsal
A.M (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
aikighost
Lemon Eater
aikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MCaikighost is a savage MC
Reading
MC Status: 12851860

I use freesound.org

I even have put up a big assed bunch of rhythmic glitch loops I created a few years ago for everyone to use

------------------
The ultimate Law: All general statements are false

My Techno Music News & Techno Mixes Blog

Submit mixes to TechnoMusicNews.com
aikighost is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to aikighost
A.M (05-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:19 AM   #9
Nikorasu
Minor Glitch
Nikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really niceNikorasu is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Not sure if this helps, but I've found a lot of the stuff I use on Reddit/r/edmproduction. Every now and then people post links to huge sample pack downloads. If you head there and search something like "samples" in the subreddit you'll find a lot. One specifically called "500 kicks" is good. I think there also one that was like a pack of 1,000 different snare samples. I can't post specific links yet :/

Cheers!
Nikorasu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #10
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18760

I use stuff I find on bedroom producers blog (especially their tape 606, 808, and 909, really no urge to pay for higher quality samples of them after getting my hands on these) and stuff from the beatbattles. I always download the samples even if I don't get a chance to participate. I have a neat little french vibe WIP going on with some stuff from bb52.

(link to 909 inside).

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
A.M (07-06-2017)
Old 07-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
bcetindra
Learning The Ropes
bcetindra is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Thanks for link and information
bcetindra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
I use stuff I find on bedroom producers blog (especially their tape 606, 808, and 909, really no urge to pay for higher quality samples of them after getting my hands on these) and stuff from the beatbattles. I always download the samples even if I don't get a chance to participate. I have a neat little french vibe WIP going on with some stuff from bb52.

(link to 909 inside).

Speaking of Bedroom Producers Blog..I forgot to give a mention to the excellent [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, the indie sound design label started by Bedroom Producers Blog..that offers free sound effects and sample libraries of commercial quality, for both commercial and non-commercial use.

Well worth checking out.

Advertisements

------------------