BB57 : It's all about the Bass
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Community Projects IDMf member-led projects and collaboration.

Old 27-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1831127
BB57 : It's all about the Bass

B57 BASS

1) Your track must be a minimum of 3 mins of a Dub Bass genre...think 60hz

2) You can use one instrument of your choosing one instant only to complement the provided samples.

3) You can add vocals of any legal source that you choose.

The Samples.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES
Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday (26th May 2017 _ok one day late due to slackness!!!).

Submissions close Tuesday 11 days later (6th June 2017) 23:59 and voting opens at 00:00 (immediately after).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day, Thursday (8th June 2017). The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Friday 9th June 2017 ) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote.

ANYONE CAN VOTE REGARDLESS OF SUBMITTING ETC.

The Samples Countdown until submissions close: All times are synchronised to UTC.

Last edited by MFXxx; 27-05-2017 at 06:04 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 05:54 PM   #2
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69878919
Re: BB57 : It's all about the Bass

I guess rule 2 means one instance of one instrument. And I'm totally assuming that I can rip a commercial vocal from youtube because that's a legal source, right?

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
I guess rule 2 means one instance of one instrument. And I'm totally assuming that I can rip a commercial vocal from youtube because that's a legal source, right?
Yes - edited
Legal - let your conscious and voting eligibility apply

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
brb (27-05-2017)
Old 27-05-2017, 06:57 PM   #4
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80990380
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,598 Posts

I hate that song

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Lug
MFXxx (27-05-2017)
Old 28-05-2017, 03:37 AM   #5
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11470754

As for rule 2, "one instant", do you mean like one note, or like one short like 10 second window or one quick solo?

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 03:46 AM   #6
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 23660

Out of curiosity, wth is dub bass? Tried looking it up all I,found was dubstep crap!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 05:02 AM   #7
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11470754

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Out of curiosity, wth is dub bass? Tried looking it up all I,found was dubstep crap!
bass with dub elements

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 07:07 AM   #8
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18760

Quote:

Track 4 is what I think of, just click where it says track 4 and an annotation will start you there.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 07:38 AM   #9
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80990380
Thanked 4,003 Times in 2,598 Posts

Quote:

I think as Mrfx said "any subgenre", it would include dubstep crap. But there are many more possible variations. The first that would come to mind for me would be this kind of stuff

maybe check out this thread for more examples

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post

Track 4 is what I think of, just click where it says track 4 and an annotation will start you there.
oh really? that's weird. I guess that's how much of an umbrella term it is. Whateve -- I think the fun bit is how each of us will interpret "bass dub"

Last edited by Lug; 28-05-2017 at 07:43 AM..

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Dub bass is your interpretation. There are many styles to fit this and I didn't want to pigeon hole any particular genre.
There is also something else that I am a aware of that this MAY bode YOU a foundation of or not.....!
One instant means one stem track patch if it's one note, sequence, riff, several bars...That's your choice.
Just not simply using a multi timbre instrument/plugin for bass, lead,melody,chord, background sounds etc so playing several parts in a track.
BBS are all about creativity and not painting by numbers. .. they are a challenge and deadlines all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited by MFXxx; 28-05-2017 at 05:37 PM..

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
I/O_Madness (28-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Quick question,

What's the status on additive/spectral resampling? Does that count as another instrument?
Rvrsal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvrsal View Post
Quick question,

What's the status on additive/spectral resampling? Does that count as another instrument?
Is it an instrument or an effect?

------------------
Old 29-05-2017, 04:04 PM   #13
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch
Rvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to beholdRvrsal is a splendid one to behold

Well, some might say it's an instrument, others might say it's just an advanced for of sampling.... but yeah probably an instrument tho
Thanks to Rvrsal
MFXxx (29-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 04:43 PM   #14
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch

Hey everyone, so I've ben trying to share a private soundcloud link to the track here but I'm having some issues with it. I looked through the guide but can't seem to make it work. Anyone know where exactly I have to cut the embed link

Here is the embed link btw, if anyone can help me out?
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/325039448?secret_token=s-YvkzL" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_co mments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visu al=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]

Last edited by Rvrsal; 29-05-2017 at 04:55 PM..
Old 29-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #15
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69878919

Quote:
Well, some might say it's an instrument, others might say it's just an advanced for of sampling.... but yeah probably an instrument tho
Is what you're using a standalone editor, or a plugin within an editor, or a thing that you put on some sort of instrument rack to play live within a DAW? If the latter, is it something that's integrated into your DAW or is it a 3rd party plugin?

I use a few tools on BB samples such as Paulstretch and Soundforge without fear of breaking rules on instruments. I also use midi controlled pitching effects like comb filtering, fft effects, and ringmod (if the built in oscs in ringmod plugins is a rule break, then so must be every LFO). There could be an argument to consider any sampler/slicer/whatever as an instrument, but it would be asking a lot for us to use provided samples without using a sampler... That's some Delia Derbyshire/Stockhausen level shit that nobody has time for.

I'd never assume using something like Kontakt or some other multisampler/virtual rompler/beatslicer/whatever would constitute an extra instrument rule break, unless there's quite a lot of synth built into it that you can't switch off... I can imagine using a synth that uses user wavs instead of internally generated waveforms being okay, especially if it's native to your DAW. There's very little difference between that and building the same kind of modular effect chain within/around a standard sampler or slicer.

I suppose it's down to your conscience and interpretation of the rules.

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to brb
Rvrsal (29-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #16
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Hey everyone, so I've ben trying to share a private soundcloud link to the track here but I'm having some issues with it. I looked through the guide but can't seem to make it work. Anyone know where exactly I have to cut the embed link

Here is the embed link btw, if anyone can help me out?
[soundcloud url="https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/325039448?secret_token=s-YvkzL" params="auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_co mments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visu al=true" width="100%" height="450" iframe="true" /]
Not sure why its api.soundcloud? If its a private link just share the private link without embedding it as private links dont embed. Not sure just copy and paste the whole link in without the bb code maybe!

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
Rvrsal (29-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
Rvrsal
Minor Glitch

Ok here it is guys, thanks for the help! Oh and since I wasn't sure I ended up not using any additive synthesis! Not sure I got the genre right though but hell, I'm sure y'all will let me know!

Old 29-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Ok here it is guys, thanks for the help! Oh and since I wasn't sure I ended up not using any additive synthesis! Not sure I got the genre right though but hell, I'm sure y'all will let me know!

Great work - The Bar has been set ... and it's fucking h!gh

------------------
Thanks to MFXxx
Rvrsal (29-05-2017)
Old 29-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 49260

Aw man, downloaded the samples and it's got Brostep written all over. This would take some doing.

Not a single skank riff in there?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #20
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Aw man, downloaded the samples and it's got Brostep written all over. This would take some doing.

Not a single skank riff in there?
There's something in there to turn to skank...trust me, Im working on it myself Bro!

Advertisements

------------------