BB56 - Open Genre + Ewok Drawing Competition
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Beat Battles A dedicated area to discuss Beat Battle contests

Old 14-05-2017, 03:42 AM   #1
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC
The Wrong Side Of History
MC Status: 69887319
BB56 - Open Genre + Ewok Drawing Competition

Sample Pack:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

1: Make a tune using only the shit samples provided.

2: Draw a picture featuring an Ewok and post it in this thread.
3: In addition to casting your vote for the best tune, you must also vote for the best Ewok picture.

The winner of the Ewok drawing contest shall win respect and admiration ONLY.

THE CHALLENGE

The Battle Host must provide a sample set to be used for the battle. These samples are the only sound sources allowed, unless the Additional Rules for the battle state otherwise. The samples can be anything that the Battle Host has the right to distribute for non-commercial use.

The Battle Host must create three Additional Rules. These can allow or require additional sound sources, or impose any kind of new requirements.

THE CONTEST

Anyone can enter the Battle by posting a link to their entry in the Battle thread. Unless the Additional Rules state otherwise, any processing is allowed and the source samples need not be recognizable. The Host may disqualify any entry that does not meet either the general rules or the additional ones.

Once the submission deadline is reached, the winner is elected by posting votes in the same thread. Anyone is welcome to vote whether they participated or not. In case of a draw, the Host designates the winner between the submissions tied for first place.

THE DEADLINES
Each battle takes place over two weeks, starting on a Friday (12th May 2017).

Submissions close Tuesday 11 days later (23rd May 2017) 23:59 and voting opens at 00:00 (immediately after).

Voting closes at 23:59 on the 13th day, Thursday (25th May 2017). The winner then becomes the Host, and has until 23:59 on the 14th day (Friday 26th May 2017 ) to post a new thread with a new sample set and new rules.

Late Submissions are void to receiving a vote.

ANYONE CAN VOTE REGARDLESS OF SUBMITTING ETC.

The Samples Countdown until submissions close: All times are synchronised to UTC.

Last edited by brb; 14-05-2017 at 03:48 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
brb is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 11:27 PM   #2
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11478504
Re: BB56 - Open Genre + Ewok Drawing Competition

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2017, 12:01 AM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 03:25 AM   #4
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 17-05-2017, 09:01 PM   #5
brb
Commie SJW
brb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MCbrb is a savage MC

------------------
Old 20-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
brb
Commie SJW

Yub-bump!

------------------
Thanks to brb
I/O_Madness (20-05-2017)
Old 20-05-2017, 10:09 PM   #7
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 21310

I need to get on my drawing, I think I'm going to do a cubist interpretation of an ewok. Song is coming along though, fully mixed, just composing now, unless I add a different lead. Drums aren't as crazy as last time, but they're coming out something like this track I did a year ago, which is one of my more popular ones, so it's been interesting to re-visit the idea a year later and see how I approach it differently.

NOT MY SUB THOUGH, JUST THERE AS A REFERENCE/SNEAK PEEK.
And to bump my playcount cuz wynot?

------------------
Also, check this out. Updated 10-27-17.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
I/O_Madness (21-05-2017)
Old 21-05-2017, 08:22 PM   #8
brb
Commie SJW

I will know you've cheated if you submit anything of that quality from the samples I provided.

------------------
Old 22-05-2017, 03:33 AM   #9
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California

Hmmm, couldn't figure out how to make an image actually show up from a dropbox link (if we can even do that). Sorry you'll have to click through for now. Hoping to wrap up the song tomorrow.

EDIT: Welp, it's upside down now......errr wait. Nope I drew it upside down. This is fine.

Last edited by White Noise; 22-05-2017 at 03:23 PM..

------------------

Thanks to White Noise
brb (22-05-2017)
Old 22-05-2017, 04:10 AM   #10
brb
Commie SJW

Replace "dl=0" with "raw=1" after the "?". Makes files workingly directifiably linkable again.

Did you actually draw that? I have to up my game.

------------------
Old 22-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
shit samples
I'm new to comps on IDMf. All I want to say is that this pack is easily the best comp pack I've ever seen in terms of variety, quality, usefulness etc.

------------------
-Agu- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

When George Lucas made 'Return of the Jedi', he was experimenting heavily with symbolism. As he explained it, the battle of Endor was meant to represent the Vietnam War, and the Ewoks were supposed to represent the Vietnamese people and the Empire represented the United States.

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #13
brb
Commie SJW

Don't you dare come in here to fansplain this shit to me, like I'm some gorax fucking blurrg.

------------------
Thanks to brb
lolirl (22-05-2017)
Old 22-05-2017, 03:27 PM   #14
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by brb View Post
Did you actually draw that? I have to up my game.
Yep, for the bigger lines, I used a straight edge, then I decided that was too clean. So, I went back over them free-hand just thickening them up and humanizing it a bit. I googled images of ewoks and kind of just tried to make it look cute with squares. Glad you like it, I thought it came out too square and color only made it worse.

------------------

Old 22-05-2017, 10:49 PM   #15
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
I'm new to comps on IDMf. All I want to say is that this pack is easily the best comp pack I've ever seen in terms of variety, quality, usefulness etc.
Yeah it was actually a pretty good kit.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 23-05-2017, 03:22 AM   #16
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
California

This is my sub. It only has a little sub.

------------------

Thanks to White Noise
brb (23-05-2017)
Old 23-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #17
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4460

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
Yeah it was actually a pretty good kit.
Yeah and the fact that there are actually solo drums and single notes in there. Last one I saw had 4 samples:

1 snare
1 sampled movie clip
1 Lyn Collins - Think
1 random sample (can't remember what it was)

------------------
-Agu- is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #18
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Agu- View Post
Yeah and the fact that there are actually solo drums and single notes in there. Last one I saw had 4 samples:

1 snare
1 sampled movie clip
1 Lyn Collins - Think
1 random sample (can't remember what it was)

I think the worst was BB48. We were supposed to produce a song using another song as the "guide" sorta or structure for our song, but we were only allowed to use the samples in the sample pack, and it had to combine two genres. I looked at the challenge and clearly the easy/cop out way to do it would be to do some electronic genre mix "acid house", "ambient dub", but I felt the true spirit of the challenge was in combining two absolutely unrelated genres, such as folk and flamenco, or something of that sort, so I decided to do two actual genres rather than "electro funk", "electro rock", or "electro rap", or something easy.

Now, the challenge was CLEARLY stated that we needed to mix two genres... which brings us to the samples... The pack came with a few percussive items, a short rock guitar riff, a couple electronica-y sounds, a long rnb acapella, a long rap acapella (of some song about investing money), and that was essentially it. So, the challenge was to mix two genres, but practically, there really wasn't a whole lot of genres that you were going to reproduce with what was given. On that beat battle, I really wanted to do something within the rules, and everything really wasn't too bad, except for the two genre rule!!! I wasn't going to cop out because the rules were very restrictive and I knew probably most people were going to end up bending it and doing electronic-something. My normal approach is to check out the sounds and anything that catches my ear I use for a phrase, but on this one the only way I saw of being able to do two genres was to just treat one of the samples as a single note and just write something.

I didn't quite get what I really wanted to do down, I did get a submission together. But damn, that sample pack along with the given rules was nigh impossible.

------------------

I/O_Madness
Old 23-05-2017, 08:03 PM   #19
7asid
Knob Twiddler
7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute7asid has a reputation beyond repute
Vancouver
MC Status: 8760

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
I think the worst was BB48. We were supposed to produce a song using another song as the "guide" sorta or structure for our song, but we were only allowed to use the samples in the sample pack, and it had to combine two genres. I looked at the challenge and clearly the easy/cop out way to do it would be to do some electronic genre mix "acid house", "ambient dub", but I felt the true spirit of the challenge was in combining two absolutely unrelated genres, such as folk and flamenco, or something of that sort, so I decided to do two actual genres rather than "electro funk", "electro rock", or "electro rap", or something easy.

Now, the challenge was CLEARLY stated that we needed to mix two genres... which brings us to the samples... The pack came with a few percussive items, a short rock guitar riff, a couple electronica-y sounds, a long rnb acapella, a long rap acapella (of some song about investing money), and that was essentially it. So, the challenge was to mix two genres, but practically, there really wasn't a whole lot of genres that you were going to reproduce with what was given. On that beat battle, I really wanted to do something within the rules, and everything really wasn't too bad, except for the two genre rule!!! I wasn't going to cop out because the rules were very restrictive and I knew probably most people were going to end up bending it and doing electronic-something. My normal approach is to check out the sounds and anything that catches my ear I use for a phrase, but on this one the only way I saw of being able to do two genres was to just treat one of the samples as a single note and just write something.

I didn't quite get what I really wanted to do down, I did get a submission together. But damn, that sample pack along with the given rules was nigh impossible.
:,(

------------------
-------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------
7asid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 08:04 PM   #20
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1837627

Last edited by MFXxx; 23-05-2017 at 08:57 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote