Do you guys add a sub layer to your re-sampled bass?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:23 AM   #1
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752950
Do you guys add a sub layer to your re-sampled bass?

I have a question for those of you who dabble in heavier bass music. Those who know me around here, know that i usually only make chill music and all that requires is sub bass.
I'm trying to get into heavier bass music but finding it somewhat hard. I have a few questions actually. The first being, when you re-sample your basses, they obviously have sub in them already.. like this example.

I didn't chop these basses at say 150hz, and then add a separate sub layer. I just left them as is... and I think this may make them uneven sounding in the sub region. Everyone tells me I'm supposed to add the sub layer after though. I tried and it was just strait up hard because all the re-sampled basses are pitching and bending and never line up properly with a static sub bass I'm trying to piece in afterwords.

So, I'm a bit confused...

The second being, I'm finding it hard to add higher melodies to this type of stuff, any tips?

Last edited by Chaotix; 05-03-2017 at 11:44 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38897
Re: Do you guys add a sub layer to your re-sampeld bass?

great track, I don't own a sub tho.

If you mean higher melodies, I guess some bleeps and bloops similar like in psytrance, but edited one by one to this beat in clever ways

yeah idk why I commented even

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
Jaded (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

How is the sub-bass sounding if you don't seperate it from the original bass? Sometimes when you have a bass that has a lot going on, the sub-spectrum of the bass may "develop" some problems (like with stereo effects and such). Controlling this spectrum area is do-able to some extent with multiband compressor and/or EQ. But, if you want to process your sub-area more precisely, I would duplicate the bass (with all the pitch automation) and make it a single sine.

The other scenario is that the sub is sounding good as it is and needs no special attention/seperation. I think that basses in general sound better if the sub-region is left untouched and maybe just compressed a bit with multiband comp. But it's kinda situational. Trust your ears!

As for adding higher melodies: Your bassline has a lot going on as it is. Mixing it up with a arpeggiator would create a mess (maybe not, try it out`?). I would try a lush pad or any other element with big space (piano with big reverb) since your bass sounds are quite "in-your-face" already.

Not sure if I answered any questions, but I hope I could help somehow.

EDIT: Wording

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #4
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver

Yeah that's exactly what I did, just used multiband compression and compressed the lows to bring them out a bit more. Technically isn't that making the mix more muddy though?

------------------
Old 05-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Johnson Academy
IDMf Supporter
Johnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MCJohnson Academy is a savage MC
Streets of Lojo
MC Status: 13798620

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotix View Post
Yeah that's exactly what I did, just used multiband compression and compressed the lows to bring them out a bit more. Technically isn't that making the mix more muddy though?
I don't know. I think it all comes down to if you have the "space" in your mix for your bass. Big sounds require a lot of space. Most bass tracks don't have much else going on than the bassline and some FX and percussions.

------------------
I'm offering free mixing services, PM me if you are interested

Johnson Academy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #6
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson Academy View Post
I don't know. I think it all comes down to if you have the "space" in your mix for your bass. Big sounds require a lot of space. Most bass tracks don't have much else going on than the bassline and some FX and percussions.
Yeah come to think of it, i think most people cut most of the bass when adding higher elements, then drop the bass back in. I'll experiment some more, completely failed at it while trying the other night haha.

------------------
Old 06-03-2017, 02:27 AM   #7
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160

Quote:
I didn't chop these basses at say 150hz, and then add a separate sub layer. I just left them as is... and I think this may make them uneven sounding in the sub region. Everyone tells me I'm supposed to add the sub layer after though. I tried and it was just strait up hard because all the re-sampled basses are pitching and bending and never line up properly with a static sub bass I'm trying to piece in afterwords.
The only way I know how is painstaking automation. Getting an added sine bass to sit well under a moving mid bass is a pain in the bass. I meant ass but I'm leaving that typo. I think your example track sounds pretty good, but I do hear what you mean, it does sound like the sine bass is its own separate sound if I listen closely.

If anyone knows the magic fast way of layering the subbass as if its part of the lead bass and not its own layer, all hail.
Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Hygro
Chaotix (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 02:41 AM   #8
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
The only way I know how is painstaking automation. Getting an added sine bass to sit well under a moving mid bass is a pain in the bass. I meant ass but I'm leaving that typo. I think your example track sounds pretty good, but I do hear what you mean, it does sound like the sine bass is its own separate sound if I listen closely.

If anyone knows the magic fast way of layering the subbass as if its part of the lead bass and not its own layer, all hail.
Maybe I was a bit unclear as I tend to be that way sometimes, the example was not adding a separate sine sub. Any sub you hear is straight from the re sampled audio with the low end just boosted a tad.

------------------
Old 06-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #9
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of

well that explains why it sounds so close to one sound
Old 06-03-2017, 06:58 PM   #10
TheHatedSwede
Learning The Ropes
TheHatedSwede has a spectacular aura aboutTheHatedSwede has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
I have a question for those of you who dabble in heavier bass music. Those who know me around here, know that i usually only make chill music and all that requires is sub bass.
I'm trying to get into heavier bass music but finding it somewhat hard. I have a few questions actually. The first being, when you re-sample your basses, they obviously have sub in them already.. like this example.

So, I'm a bit confused...

The second being, I'm finding it hard to add higher melodies to this type of stuff, any tips?
I'd advise against it, or for use at subliminal levels only. Almost any track with a heavy sublayer no matter how much I like the rest of it gets deleted from my playlist, and I don't buy albums made in that style. It's a torment to the soul & drowns the melody & rhythm. Perhaps not the answer you wanted but I often encounter such productions looking for new music & I consider it a sure way to ruin what could otherwise be enjoyable.

Currently listening to Re Konstructor / Clockdva
TheHatedSwede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TheHatedSwede
Chaotix (06-03-2017)
Old 06-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #11
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHatedSwede View Post
I'd advise against it, or for use at subliminal levels only. Almost any track with a heavy sublayer no matter how much I like the rest of it gets deleted from my playlist, and I don't buy albums made in that style. It's a torment to the soul & drowns the melody & rhythm. Perhaps not the answer you wanted but I often encounter such productions looking for new music & I consider it a sure way to ruin what could otherwise be enjoyable.

Currently listening to Re Konstructor / Clockdva
Well I that pertains more to a personal preference, so i don't think that's an answer at all. You're basically just telling me it's a genre you don't like.

------------------
Old 07-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #12
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

from a guy who makes nurofunk and loves a filthy resampled bass i always add a sub layer after for my resampled basses
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
Chaotix (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 01:58 AM   #13
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
from a guy who makes nurofunk and loves a filthy resampled bass i always add a sub layer after for my resampled basses
What's your technique? Because I tried doing that for the example I posted and it was just way to hard to match the sub to all the twisting bass lines.

------------------
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 AM   #14
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
What's your technique? Because I tried doing that for the example I posted and it was just way to hard to match the sub to all the twisting bass lines.
Not sure what you mean exactly by 'matching the sub', but I think the idea is that you either have single sustaining notes underneath all the madness or you have a few shorter 'sub drops' in key places.

Look up bass tutorials by SeamlessR, since he has a fuckton of them on bass specifically. From what I gather, he doesn't stick to one approach and just uses whatever works best for that particular track. Sometimes the sub frequencies are distinct and 'clean' enough in his twisted reese-y basses and he just uses those basses as they are without layering a separate sub.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:24 AM   #15
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
Not sure what you mean exactly by 'matching the sub', but I think the idea is that you either have single sustaining notes underneath all the madness or you have a few shorter 'sub drops' in key places.

Look up bass tutorials by SeamlessR, since he has a fuckton of them on bass specifically. From what I gather, he doesn't stick to one approach and just uses whatever works best for that particular track. Sometimes the sub frequencies are distinct and 'clean' enough in his twisted reese-y basses and he just uses those basses as they are without layering a separate sub.
Yeah like i think the example i posted sounds decent enough without a layered sub underneath, but it's hard to tell in some spots. Especially when your resampled basses have note changes in them. Makes it a headache trying to match the sub tones haha

------------------
Old 07-03-2017, 02:30 AM   #16
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Yeah like i think the example i posted sounds decent enough without a layered sub underneath, but it's hard to tell in some spots. Especially when your resampled basses have note changes in them. Makes it a headache trying to match the sub tones haha
Sounds really good to me. And I don't think that having constant sub frequencies all the time is necessarily beneficial. If everything is big, then nothing is big. It's all about contrast. So if certain notes/spots are weaker, that just makes the deep ones REALLY deep in comparison.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #17
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 20010

i match them to a per bas basses and pitch bending the sub bass helps, in fl studio (not sure about ableton) you can poitch bend in the piano roll itself and add mute notes so i do it off a per bass basses and just follow the tone of each basss, for example if its a growl bass i follw the sub bass with pitch bends the way the growls movement is, or if its a recce or a wobble just a 1 note straight line usually does the trick.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #18
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419

i cant listen to your example right now because im on a laptop XD

i tune my layered sub along side my other sounds once i have the "layout" of the notes and portamento. it can be hard to get just right between notes, but with a sub there is a little room for error.
a lot of the time though, there is no reason why you cant use a combination of the original sub and a layered sub, and just mix between the two. you need to pay close attention to the phase of each layer when blending between them though.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
Hygro
Microknight

Is there pitch reading software that could get a print out of pitch bending that you could prescriptively-paste and apply onto the sine audio?
Old 11-03-2017, 04:30 PM   #20
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
Is there pitch reading software that could get a print out of pitch bending that you could prescriptively-paste and apply onto the sine audio?
maybe melodyne can do this? im not familiar enough with it to know, but it seems like a feature it might include

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote