Let's learn PD together.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Modular software & programming MaxMSP, Reaktor, Pure Data, Jeskola BUZZ, and other modular programs. Any questions relating to these programs (patching, favorite ensembles) should be posted in this forum.

Old 24-12-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8360
Let's learn PD together.

What's the benefit of PD over Max/MSP? The biggest one for me is that it's totally free, and free stuff is awesome. What's the benefit of using PD at all? It'll make you look wicked smart and cool and all the ladies will love your penis because of it, making them want to [bang] your [spigot].

To that end, how about we all learn some PD together and create an official IDMF PD Patch? Starting from nothing, going easy and helping each other out, going from beginner to (With any luck) advanced.

Advertisements

Bipolar Joe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 12:48 AM   #2
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71974
Thanked 1,188 Times in 729 Posts
Re: Let's learn PD together.

[bang] your [spigot]

I'm down, I'm pretty new at it myself. So new that I wouldn't even know how to start really. Still reading up on loadbang. Count me in.

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

Awesome. Let's do it

I read a bit of the manual and followed a beginner's guide but that last one was too directed and I couldn't quite figure out my own techniques out of what they showed. I could re-create what they taught me, not make something new out of the knowledge I gained. Disappointing
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

OK, so I made a patch that makes a hi-hat like clicking sound at somewhat random intervals. You set the speed (Kind of). It pans randomly to the left or right with every new click. I'll try to explain exactly how it works:

The Motor outputs a bang kind of randomly. I nabbed it from the [delay] helpfile, so right click on it and select Help for more info.

Sound is where the noise happens. There's three tables (Which are visualised on the left), and a [line~]. [line~] is like a very basic ADSR. The message box going into it (saying [1, 0 1( ) is the argument for how fast [line~] works. The first digit is the starting volume, the second is the end volume, and the third is how long in milliseconds it takes to get from 1 to 0. Fiddle with the last digit to see what happens.

The filter can be replaced by a bandpass, which would probably be better. [hip~] is high-pass, [lop~] is low-pass. The [loadbang] outputs a bang when the patch is opened, in this case is makes the number atoms load at 3000 (PD can't save the number in number atoms, this is the easiest way to have an init preset).

The pan gets a bang every new click. It goes into a [randomF], with an argument of one. This means that it will output a number between 0 and 1. The number atom will show you what the number is, and that goes into the left channel. There's some real simple maths going on after. The number goes into a [* -1], which times the number by -1, basically just making the number a negative. Then it gets one added to it with [+ 1], so let's say -0.50 comes out of [* -1], we add a one to it to get 0.50. This is sent into the right channel, and the result is a sound in the centre.

Hopefully that's easy to understand for anyone pretty much brand new to PD.

Last edited by Bipolar Joe; 30-12-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Old 30-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

This sounds like fun, I am a little better than a beginner, but not by much. PD files are basically text, it might be useful to host at [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
at some point.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Yeah, that's a pretty good idea. Hopefully more people will join in and we'll have a pretty savage patch going on.
Old 30-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute

Just for clarity, are you using PD or PD-extended?

It seems unlikely that I will use any of the extra features (they tend to be beyond my skills), but good to know.
Old 30-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

PD-extended. I've only ever used that one, so I dunno what features are not in vanilla. I will go without using externals, though, just make it easier on everyone including myself. Even if you think it's out of your scope, definitely join in. I'm a stupid bastard and in a month have come way farther than I thought I could. As proof of my stupidity, I once pooped my pants from a distance. If I am stupid enough to poop my pants from a distance, but can figure out PD, then literally any partard can.
Old 30-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipolar Joe View Post
PD-extended. I've only ever used that one, so I dunno what features are not in vanilla. I will go without using externals, though, just make it easier on everyone including myself. Even if you think it's out of your scope, definitely join in. I'm a stupid bastard and in a month have come way farther than I thought I could. As proof of my stupidity, I once pooped my pants from a distance. If I am stupid enough to poop my pants from a distance, but can figure out PD, then literally any partard can.

Ah, yep. One box is from pd-extended. Here is my version. I moved the filter into a [pd] sub-patch. Using [inlet~] and [outlet~] you can hide parts of the patch and keep yourself a little bit saner with the spaghetti of cables.

PD can been crazy making, but it can also be picked up quickly, especially with the help of others.
Thanks to TL072
Lug (05-02-2014)
Old 30-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

I figured I'd have the whole thing in a single patch for the moment, to make it easier to see what's going on. I'm gonna try make a decent sounding kick later on, and use graph on parent to have both going on one patch.
Old 30-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
I figured I'd have the whole thing in a single patch for the moment, to make it easier to see what's going on. I'm gonna try make a decent sounding kick later on, and use graph on parent to have both going on one patch.
This can work. Although, it will become insanity sooner or later I suspect. Are you looking at a noise maker or more of a drum machine?

I can see if I can think of ways to mangle the output in different ways - one way or another.
Old 31-12-2013, 01:27 AM   #12
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Well, with what there is so far, and with what I'm currently learning in PD, some sort of generative music patch that isn't just atonal bleeps and bloops with a crappy pad over it like most seem to be. I think if it's kept one component at a time, with everything explained, maybe a video or two, it could be good. Want to build up slowly.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #13
Voyac
Soundwave Mangler
Voyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MCVoyac is a savage MC
Gdynia
MC Status: 3587899

I started using PD as OSC messages receiver from android's phone to control FX in Live. However i was thinking about creating some interesting stuff in pd to reprocess audio in realtime and some stuff for algorithmic composition and pure randomness. I just think pd lacks GUI for better and faster usage.
Voyac is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:18 PM   #14
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Plan for today is to make a couple of videos for this and for image bending.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Plan for today is to make a couple of videos for this and for image bending.
Are you also working with the graphics extensions?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:56 PM   #16
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO

Not very much. I'd like to incorporate that into this patch towards the end.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #17
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

ok so for a module at uni i have to do some PD stuff

its all very simple but it still drives me crazy

ive made a synth with 8 polyphony, an amp envelope, pitch modulation and a filter

the patch is a bit all over the shop and i dont know where you guys are at with this but here it is:

it says FM synth but its not... i dont think

im really impressed with myself but at the same time i dont think this will be useful for my module at all

EDIT: there are no comments on it unfortunately so you might have to have a fiddle around for a while. if you cant get any sound make sure the filter knob is open and the ADSR is at the right settings

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 08:13 PM   #18
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

man i seriously need some help with this. if theres anybody out there that has even the most basic knowledge of PD please help me out! i seriously fucking hate this stuff, im not a computer bum fister im a musician... why im forced to do this on a music production course is beyond me

there is fuck all info online... telling me what an object does in no way tells me how to use it

if anybody can help me make a pitch envelope ill finger your bottom... thanks

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 10:35 PM   #19
TL072
Master of the LFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
man i seriously need some help with this. if theres anybody out there that has even the most basic knowledge of PD please help me out! i seriously fucking hate this stuff, im not a computer bum fister im a musician... why im forced to do this on a music production course is beyond me

there is fuck all info online... telling me what an object does in no way tells me how to use it

if anybody can help me make a pitch envelope ill finger your bottom... thanks
It sounds like you have figured out envelopes in another context? If memory serves, they output a number between 0-1. So multiply that by a range and then add that to the pitch you have pulled from midi, and input that into the oscillators.

[env~] -> [*~ 100] -> [+~ pitch_from_midi] -> [osc~]

(100 could be a slider)

Perhaps I am reading this too quickly. Does that make sense? Also there are PD mailing lists as well. Have you looked at the free books under the section "Documentation" on the main website?

This one:

and this one:

are pretty accessible.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #20
glideros
Analog Lurker
glideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant futureglideros has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1560

Awesome idea. I'm trying to figure this stuff out... will follow this thread!

Advertisements

glideros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote