disk cache overload problem
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18024319
Icon5 disk cache overload problem

i have suddenly come across an issue in cubase with my disk cache.
it is suddenly overloading a LOT and is stuttering the audio playback.
i have tried increasing the disk pre-load and it is still an issue.

what kind of things can cause this? ive got just over 30GB free space on my HDD, is this enough? can a full HDD even cause this?

any help would be great!

thanks

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Benwaa
Re: disk cache overload problem

should be enough really, depends on the size of the audio files in total tat it's putting in the cache
  Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

the total size of all the files in my project is 3.15GB. there are no MIDI tracks or instruments loaded.
i have only tried with one project at the moment.
my next tests are going to be a defrag and failing that, a check disk. i hate check disk

------------------
signature loading...
Old 07-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
bkwsk
Radial Developer
bkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nicebkwsk is just really nice
SVQ (Spain)
MC Status: 410

The sample rate and bit depth is the same than in your other projects? Because an increase in those parameters might cause that problem.
bkwsk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i have suddenly come across an issue in cubase with my disk cache.
it is suddenly overloading a LOT and is stuttering the audio playback.
i have tried increasing the disk pre-load and it is still an issue.

what kind of things can cause this? ive got just over 30GB free space on my HDD, is this enough? can a full HDD even cause this?

any help would be great!

thanks
Actually space availible on your hard drive has nothing to do with disk cache. Disk cache is similar to ram. It is actually a little tiny block of RAM soldered into the hardrive circuit board that stores up to 64mb of data at once. This is the buffer that separates the computer and the hard drive. When the hard drive and the computer talk to each other the cache begins to fill up, what you are experiencing now could possibly be due to the fact that you have not defragmented in a while. If the HD has to seek for information and the computer is requesting more than it can find in a certain period of time your computer will have some buffer problems. If you are just using audio and nothing else you could also possibly offload some of the audio to RAM. I dont know if your program does this but I do it in ableton alot, seems to help with bigger projects. Anyways, let us know how it goes.
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwsk View Post
The sample rate and bit depth is the same than in your other projects? Because an increase in those parameters might cause that problem.
it is the same as it has always been

------------------
signature loading...
Old 08-10-2012, 04:16 AM   #7
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoB View Post
Actually space availible on your hard drive has nothing to do with disk cache. Disk cache is similar to ram. It is actually a little tiny block of RAM soldered into the hardrive circuit board that stores up to 64mb of data at once. This is the buffer that separates the computer and the hard drive. When the hard drive and the computer talk to each other the cache begins to fill up, what you are experiencing now could possibly be due to the fact that you have not defragmented in a while. If the HD has to seek for information and the computer is requesting more than it can find in a certain period of time your computer will have some buffer problems. If you are just using audio and nothing else you could also possibly offload some of the audio to RAM. I dont know if your program does this but I do it in ableton alot, seems to help with bigger projects. Anyways, let us know how it goes.
i defragged my drive yesterday and it seemed to make no difference. i hadnt rebooted between defragging and trying though so i will try again later (in case that makes a difference).
i have read that it can be due to HDD problems too, so i will try a check disk failing that.

im not sure if cubase can off-load to my RAM, but i will check it out and see if it can. although i havent needed to do that before with much more cluttered projects. would my interface (edirol FA-101) not take some of that strain? i know they are supposed to help speed things up, but im not sure exactly how i have just moved everything around so maybe i accidentally flicked a switch or something.

i have also recently installed new software. could that be the cause? i can try uninstalling it to see if it makes a difference.

thanks

------------------
signature loading...
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Evelon
IDMf Artist
Evelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MCEvelon is a savage MC
MC Status: 214389798
Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,762 Posts

RPM (speed) on the hd also plays a part, aswell as RAM, disk cache, number of audio files, sample rate, bit depth, etc.

------------------
Evelon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
SpinVector
Soundscaper
SpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MCSpinVector is a savage MC
melbs
MC Status: 6892084

I've been having a similar problem in cubase. I think in my case it's windows slowing down with heaps of installed services, and maybe my CPU slowing down a bit too.

Apparently HDDs don't usually slow down with age, as long as it's defragged, and has space for virtual memory it should run at a constant speed. Mechanical wear will usually result in a sudden failure *shudder*.
SpinVector is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

how much RAM is in your computer?
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #11
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelon View Post
RPM (speed) on the hd also plays a part, aswell as RAM, disk cache, number of audio files, sample rate, bit depth, etc.
none of this has changed since previous working projects though, and other projects have had more audio running, and at the same bit/sample rate. i will try opening one of those older working projects later though to see if they still work.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinVector View Post
I've been having a similar problem in cubase. I think in my case it's windows slowing down with heaps of installed services, and maybe my CPU slowing down a bit too.

Apparently HDDs don't usually slow down with age, as long as it's defragged, and has space for virtual memory it should run at a constant speed. Mechanical wear will usually result in a sudden failure *shudder*.
the installed shit could be an issue. it was so sudden though!

------------------
signature loading...
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoB View Post
how much RAM is in your computer?
2GB, i know thats low, but again, that hasnt changed since other, more cluttered projects

------------------
signature loading...
Old 09-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
ethertrogg
Analog Lurker
ethertrogg has a spectacular aura aboutethertrogg has a spectacular aura aboutethertrogg has a spectacular aura about
Iowa
MC Status: 210

having experienced this before in multiple DAW s in the past, even when I got my monster rig built. I'll share what I've had success with

Check your total HD size versus your free, I recommend a good ratio, don't let then get too full generally speaking (they are cheap)

Check your cache locations, for mine I run the daw on the C drive and the cache on a separateinternal drive.

Do you run antivirus? I discovered a HUGE difference after creating an exclusion for the file antivirus proton of the program, so when my daw ruins, it disabled that portion of the antivirus, which kept the software from scanning all the files and cache that the daw created. This comply resolved the issue, but it didn't come up until I was working a certain project, but after that tweak all projects are running faster.

Close background processes that are unneeded; is any of the software that you recently installed running anything in the background or appearing in the task bar? Keep your task manager running and observe when it occurs and what happens. Setup a system resource monitoring/log files to see if yourHD is the problem out if it is another process our action causing it.
Uninstalling was a good idea to try, but the g goal would be to get it running with the new software, presuming you want to have it on your machine

Unplug hard ethernet or disable wifi, it does/can make a difference. less things for your CPU to waste cycles on.

this is slightly more geared towards processing or instruments, but if your running ASIO4all via integrated sound card, you cab quickly overwhelm your CPU. even a USB interface can make a huge impact.

Check your sample and bit rate, along with your buffer size, and check your settings to what your sound card or interface allows for number off channels vs sample rate.

This was another key one that worked well
Optimize your project: did you import stems or individually rendered channels?
Id so, trim the silences out! Even though your playing back silence, your drive id still accessing the large WAV files, which means that you could be working your drive pretty hard before your actually streaming or processing audio.I've tested this with various project sizes and sample rates, but it depends on many factors, so you may not notice a huge difference. On the plus side its easier to visualize and follow the track structure

I figured done of this may help, but also to put it out there in case others are trying to find info like this.

4x 1 TB Seagate barracuda, 1x 1 TB WD high speed. Sata.

Cheers!
ET

Sent from my Android
ethertrogg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ethertrogg
Parricide (18-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 04:25 AM   #15
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethertrogg View Post
having experienced this before in multiple DAW s in the past, even when I got my monster rig built. I'll share what I've had success with

Check your total HD size versus your free, I recommend a good ratio, don't let then get too full generally speaking (they are cheap)

Check your cache locations, for mine I run the daw on the C drive and the cache on a separateinternal drive.

Do you run antivirus? I discovered a HUGE difference after creating an exclusion for the file antivirus proton of the program, so when my daw ruins, it disabled that portion of the antivirus, which kept the software from scanning all the files and cache that the daw created. This comply resolved the issue, but it didn't come up until I was working a certain project, but after that tweak all projects are running faster.

Close background processes that are unneeded; is any of the software that you recently installed running anything in the background or appearing in the task bar? Keep your task manager running and observe when it occurs and what happens. Setup a system resource monitoring/log files to see if yourHD is the problem out if it is another process our action causing it.
Uninstalling was a good idea to try, but the g goal would be to get it running with the new software, presuming you want to have it on your machine

Unplug hard ethernet or disable wifi, it does/can make a difference. less things for your CPU to waste cycles on.

this is slightly more geared towards processing or instruments, but if your running ASIO4all via integrated sound card, you cab quickly overwhelm your CPU. even a USB interface can make a huge impact.

Check your sample and bit rate, along with your buffer size, and check your settings to what your sound card or interface allows for number off channels vs sample rate.

This was another key one that worked well
Optimize your project: did you import stems or individually rendered channels?
Id so, trim the silences out! Even though your playing back silence, your drive id still accessing the large WAV files, which means that you could be working your drive pretty hard before your actually streaming or processing audio.I've tested this with various project sizes and sample rates, but it depends on many factors, so you may not notice a huge difference. On the plus side its easier to visualize and follow the track structure

I figured done of this may help, but also to put it out there in case others are trying to find info like this.

4x 1 TB Seagate barracuda, 1x 1 TB WD high speed. Sata.

Cheers!
ET

Sent from my Android
thanks for the reply. i have sorted it now (which i will explain in the next post), but i will have to go over a couple of these things any way. some i already do, but its worth getting every bit of speed possible available when working on music.
thanks

------------------
signature loading...
Old 09-10-2012, 04:35 AM   #16
Parricide

so i think i figured it out.
i opened an old CPU intense project with no problems, so i was trying to figure out what the difference might be when i realised that for this project i bounced all the tracks at once using cubases batch export option.
it didnt, and still doesnt, make any sense because i dont think it adds any extra info to the file for batch export (at least it doesnt mention it in the manual), but this is the only thing i could think of.
so next i started a new project and put the same amount of roughly the same length tracks, which had not been batch exported, in to a new project. the problem was still non existent.
so i went back to my project which i batch exported my mixdown stems from and bounced them one by one using solo, like i always did before, then started a new project with them.
the project in theory should be exactly the same, but there was no stuttering, only the normal quick spike when i press play.
so it would seem that it was one (or both) of two things. i either had a problem with that project that i am unaware of, or using the batch export caused the problem. im not sure how batch export could do this, but i will not be using it for whole projects any more.
funny thing is i was laughing at myself because i knew batch export existed, but couldnt figure out why i wasnt using it theres a reason it takes a fraction of the time!

it seems to be all good for now so thanks everyone for the help.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #17
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744024791
Thanked 7,147 Times in 4,450 Posts

Perhaps you have a lot of unused samples in the pool or stuff that's now been resampled/mixed down?
Try deleting anything you're not using in the track.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #18
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Perhaps you have a lot of unused samples in the pool or stuff that's now been resampled/mixed down?
Try deleting anything you're not using in the track.
i started a new project and imported all my tracks there, so there was only the files i was using. i empty my pool religiously anyway.

------------------
signature loading...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #19
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744024791
Thanked 7,147 Times in 4,450 Posts

OK, sorry dude, just a thought.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #20
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
OK, sorry dude, just a thought.
no problem, thanks for the input all the same. its solved now anyway ^^^^

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...