Do you have a template setup for your DAW - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Workstation Center Digital audio workstations (DAW), trackers, sequencers and programming.

Old 14-02-2017, 05:09 AM   #81
White Noise
IDMf Artist
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 26660
Re: Do you have a template setup for your DAW

I have four templates, all of them exist only for speeding along the gainstaging and monitoring process. All of them have a spectrum analyzer and pre/post gain db meters, a disabled limiter for WIP rendering, and a dynamic range/loudness meter on the master. The first just has the faders on the first 30 channels turned down to -30 db with some gain as an insert on the master to compensate. The second is the same as the first, but with a console emulation set up on each channel and tied into the master properly for that plugin. The third and fourth are similar to the first two, but the gain on the master channel uses a bitshift gain that is more transparent, but less precise.

Advertisements

------------------
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Daggit (29-09-2017)
Old 14-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #82
Neuralsphere
Sample Destroyer
Neuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond reputeNeuralsphere has a reputation beyond repute
In a house
MC Status: 9860

I used to have templates... helps if you forget things and saves time, but could limit your creative workflow and leaves less room for experimentation - It is a double edged blade but the most fun part of production is mixing it up... excuse the pun.
Neuralsphere is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 PM   #83
maxadax
Regular Freak
maxadax will become famous soon enough
Buckingham Palace
MC Status: 60

The only thing that I really changed about my default Ableton Live set is the reverb. I changed from the default one to the Valhalla Plate reverb.

I once tried to set default sidechain channels and other things but I found that my production technique was too spontaneous and I would just end up deleting all these channels pretty early on.
maxadax is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #84
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18027769

i know this is an old ass thread but i probably missed it.

i use a few templates, one for each of the potential jobs at hand.
they do not contain routing, sends, inserts e.t.c. (apart from on the master) though, since this changes every time for me. i use them to get my layout and settings where i want them.
the inserts on the master are utilities such as frequency analysers, meters e.t.c.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #85
metalzone2000
IDMf Artist
metalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MCmetalzone2000 is a savage MC
Houston, Texas
MC Status: 57924

For Renoise yes. Everything else no.

------------------

A random patch I did with Bazille, Gverb, AM Pitchshifter, Autotalent, and 24 random LFO's in Renoise.
metalzone2000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 04:42 PM   #86
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8760

I wish I had some better templates.
I am realising again and again that anything that emulates an SSL console in use is helpful.

For a long time I used a template of plugins on my master, but lately I moved that to a group so I can leave a few items out of it. But that's very similar to doing DSP grouping on a console.

And the thing is, in sound engineering school they taught us how the SSL consoles were so advanced and people made so many hits on them. The only thing different about them besides just being good quality components was that there was a compressor/limiter in EACH channel! That may not sound amazing now, with computers, but back then that was astounding.

So now, what I'm going to do is create a track template where every track has everything it would need in a pro console plus some nice extras. I'm thinking like my best VST EQs, my best spectrum analysers, and my best limiter... all on each channel.

And then a few group channels designated for mono / bass LFE, and a different group buss for stereo front.

It's interesting to be essentially going back to classical mixing, almost. I'm kind of excited about this because I know it will work.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:42 PM   #87
DOLGAP
Granular Poster
DOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really niceDOLGAP is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Yes I have. A very basic template in Ableton. Drum rack, 4x samplers, 1 empty midi track, 1 empty audio track, 1 reverb return, 1 delay return, master with spectrum analyser, utility mono and smexoscope.
DOLGAP is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #88
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123160
Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,442 Posts

In DAW I like to have it all empty and basic to the core, similar to having a blank page in any text editor. But what I do is I make instrument/effect racks in Live with mapped macros. Super fun to drop an entire chain of something on a track and see what will happen, especially when I don't remember real origins of that effect rack but it's in my user library.

------------------
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Vault O))) (05-04-2018)
Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #89
Plague
Analog Lurker
Plague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to beholdPlague is a splendid one to behold
Munich
MC Status: 910

I use a template for Live, with 16 channels for Maschine and 4+1 Busses for Kick, Snare, Toms, Hats which go into a drum sum bus . Another busses for Basses, Synths, Samples, Guitar and Vocals. So I can make multitrack exports as Live backing tracks.

------------------
Plague is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:24 PM   #90
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 63110
Thanked 1,262 Times in 929 Posts

I have two templates for Logic. One to record hardware and one with a 16 channel input for Maschine. There are a few FX chains I commonly use, but I prefer to add them post recording as needed.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 05:21 AM   #91
Vault O)))
Anal Cunt fanclub bonerbonerbonerbonerboner boner
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
St. Augustine
MC Status: 54210
Thanked 1,084 Times in 712 Posts

I think Live's default is a blank MIDI and blank audio track (somebody correct me if I'm retarded). I'm pretty sure all I've ever done is changed the MIDI to a drum rack to save an obvious step.

Experimenting with overwriting defaults (devices / effects included) is fun until it becomes impractical and you just want something basic, imo

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #92
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18027769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
I think Live's default is a blank MIDI and blank audio track (somebody correct me if I'm retarded). I'm pretty sure all I've ever done is changed the MIDI to a drum rack to save an obvious step.

Experimenting with overwriting defaults (devices / effects included) is fun until it becomes impractical and you just want something basic, imo
can you not load from a selection of templates in live? in most DAWs you can, so you can have the complex template with devices and effects without writing over the basic "ground up" template.
a workaround would be to save the template as a project, as long as you dont accidentally ctrl+s over it

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #93
devils_avocado
Minor Glitch
devils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to beholddevils_avocado is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 710

Nope I just start with FL Studio's default volume and with no effects or anything. I start with a completely new project.

EDIT: Unless I'm building on top of/borrowing elements from an earlier track.

Last edited by devils_avocado; 06-04-2018 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: John Tejada - Glaringly Happy

Advertisements

devils_avocado is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote