Dark/Minor Icy Sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 20-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #1
808ish
Learning The Ropes
808ish is currently spamming hard
New Orleans, Louisiana
MC Status: 10
Dark/Minor Icy Sound

The sound I'm trying to create is from Three 6 Mafia's album "When The Smoke Clears" The song is titled "M.E.M.P.H.I.S"
Here's a link for the song on Youtube: youtube(dot)com/watch?v=JEikrS_F8S8[/url]
The sound kicks up right at 5 seconds in and plays through-out the entirety of the song. I'm almost 95% postive it's a preset from some old Roland Keyboard, but I'm trying to recreate this virtually.
I searched through a couple of hundred presets on multiple plugins but couldn't even find anything close to go off of, so anything you guys can do to help will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Advertisements

808ish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #2
DimSum
Minor Glitch
DimSum will become famous soon enoughDimSum will become famous soon enough
Cyprus
MC Status: 110
Re: Dark/Minor Icy Sound

Try creating the sound in massive bro... i mean it might not be the same but you can get close to it and you might even find something else that you like! Try to create sounds rather then presets as no one can say to you "oh thats a preset"
DimSum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
808ish
Learning The Ropes
808ish is currently spamming hard
New Orleans, Louisiana
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Try creating the sound in massive bro... i mean it might not be the same but you can get close to it and you might even find something else that you like! Try to create sounds rather then presets as no one can say to you "oh thats a preset"
Thanks for the reply man.
I have very very little experience with sound design, I wouldn't even know where to start with synthesizing this type of sound, or any sound for that matter, which is why I posted on this forum asking for help. I wish I had the knowledge to not have to use presets but I simply don't, do if you can provide me with some tips to creating this sound, it'll contribute to my knowledge.
Thanks again.
808ish is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #4
DimSum
Minor Glitch
DimSum will become famous soon enoughDimSum will become famous soon enough
Cyprus
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808ish View Post
Thanks for the reply man.
I have very very little experience with sound design, I wouldn't even know where to start with synthesizing this type of sound, or any sound for that matter, which is why I posted on this forum asking for help. I wish I had the knowledge to not have to use presets but I simply don't, do if you can provide me with some tips to creating this sound, it'll contribute to my knowledge.
Thanks again.
Bro when I first started I didnt know anything about production, the only thing I knew is how much I love what I do and the amount of passion I have to do what I do, the point im trying to make is simple... when you love something you learn everything about it, either from youtube or buying books about synthesizers, mixing & mastering books anything that has information to do with what you love because at the end all that information comes together. You've probably heard this before but il say it to you as it makes perfect sense in my head... people could show you the door but you have to walk through it your self, meaning that ive given you some useful information now all you have to do is sit down and spend hours on researching, learning and soon you will start to make sense of everything around you I hope ive helped you out in a way and with work you will find the sounds you want
DimSum is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to DimSum
Praxisaxis (26-08-2014)
Old 27-08-2014, 12:03 AM   #5
motox2121
Sample Destroyer
motox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MCmotox2121 is a savage MC
MC Status: 1118834

Three 6 was my jam in high school lol. I love the instrumentals but now when i go back and listen to the lyrics im like wow... haha.

It sounds like a basic pad the feeling is more coming from the notes/chords. Lay down some minor chords and flip thru pad presets and i bet you will find something that sounds close.

------------------
motox2121 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2014, 01:44 AM   #6
TheWizar
Savage Mad Cunt
TheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MCTheWizar is a savage MC
Vermont
MC Status: 4837848

It's just a square wave with a filter envelope.

Advertisements

------------------
My latest work:
TheWizar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote