Octatrack users - collected tutorials and tricks - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 24-09-2017, 10:11 PM   #21
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 56810
Thanked 1,136 Times in 840 Posts
Re: Octatrack users - collected tutorials and tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
read my post already? I am honestly a little upset that I just spent about half an hour watching those videos and seeing nothing at all that deals with the things I mentioned, things I already knew to be correct. cheers bud.

yes of course I have read the manual. there are some things on the internet to do with the octatrack which are not v cool:

- the amount of posts absolutely everywhere of people saying that the octatrack is so great because it can do 'everything' when really a huge amount of straightforward functionality was omitted. this was on purpose and its the electron workflow maybe and that is totally fine but it makes the ubiquitous statement far from true

- any criticism of the octatrack = you haven't learnt it yet, you haven't read the manual, you don't know what youre doing.

so anyway I spent about 6 hours making a track today. it was very very slow progress even though I didn't need to look anything up, and then I went to reload to the last saved pattern and lost everything bar one track because I didn't save the samples from the buffers. fuck! my fault obviously but that was naff. it was sounding decent though I like the filter on this thing. I'm still on the fence about keeping it but I'm worried cause I just feel that mine is quite old and I put all my music money into it. if I do keep it I'm definitely gonna have to get maybe an electribe sampler to go with it.
Charming as ever.

I thought the videos on retriggering and the playback section would address your issues with slice pitching (two octave range), and looping them. So, if you want the slices to loop, adjust the envelope with adequate sustain, the note length, and play with the retrograde as needed. You can use the chromatic playback mode to play the slices, allowing you to record any melody you want. You definitely do not have one shot slices, only. Sorry if I misunderstood you, but I thought these vids were on point.

Personally, I don't learn well from reading manuals, but videos like the above are useful to me. What makes the OT tricky and sometimes frustrating is the multitude of routing options. If your note length is too short, it doesn't matter how long your sustain is.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #22
FRAZDOG
Space Cowboy
FRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MCFRAZDOG is a savage MC
Centennial, Colorado
MC Status: 2330317

FunkMasterBrown, do you have examples of other samplers performing what you would like to see come out of the Octatrack? I feel like I got a general understanding of what you are looking to get from the OT, but I'm still a bit unclear. If you had a link to a video of a different sampler generating something that fits your style of workflow, maybe we can help get you pointed in the right direction.

Like liquid_air mentioned, the routing gets tricky, and there seems to be a lot of Mortal Kombat Secret Moves to access the behind the scenes stuff that really makes the OT great for a live performance that doesn't require a computer. Ok, I didn't quote directly, and sprinkled in some of my own points of frustration.

------------------
FRAZDOG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 16710

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
Then you realise you cant pitch any of the individual slices (as far as I know) you have to pitch them all together or not at all. Of course you can do it on the sequencer but first you have to record a sequence, then you have to let the sequence play while you very slowly work out what pitch you want for that particular spot.
In Slice Mode (Function + Up Arrow, then choose Slice Mode) you have access to all slices using the trigger buttons. You can record a sequence using Live Record Mode (hold Record and press play) and alter the pitch simultaneously using the encoder, map to slider or use a midi controller .

------------------
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
FunkMasterBrown (29-09-2017)
Old 29-09-2017, 11:28 AM   #24
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 29160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
In Slice Mode (Function + Up Arrow, then choose Slice Mode) you have access to all slices using the trigger buttons. You can record a sequence using Live Record Mode (hold Record and press play) and alter the pitch simultaneously using the encoder, map to slider or use a midi controller .
I understand what he is talking about tho, and it is not the same thing at all.
On the mpc you can chop, assign each slice to different pads and then pitch each pad differently so once you play them they sound how you want them real time. What you are talking about is more after the fact.
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
Old 29-09-2017, 07:07 PM   #25
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

@fmb tho, don't get discouraged I am pretty sure you can figure out a way to work with the octatrack, you just need to change the way you work things out.
You might need to plan things out more maybe.
Thanks to jbvdb493
Old 29-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #26
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282884
Thanked 2,634 Times in 1,755 Posts

thank you guys, all of you, I appreciate anybody spending a slice of their time to try and help me with this. its one of those where If I could explain to you face to face it would take 2 minutes, but if I were to write it I would miss out half of it, go through 2000 words, inadequately explain myself and also, importantly, I would come across as a constant nay sayer (neigh sayer is a horse?) which might give out the impression that a) I don't understand what the octatrack can do very well and that b) I'm not still very much seeing how it pans out.

atm my only worry is how the value of the thing might drop and how it might break or how I might damage I with my looming pig clit fingers.

also I want to say, without writing 2000 words to explain myself, that the OT is very much what I thought it was going to be in terms of it being great if you have other quality sound sources to pump into it to then rearrange reroute etc. but not so if you don't. without any elaboration I will leave you to just make some shit up to compensate. btw when I say 'quality sound source' I mean the work is already done. youre putting drum samples from a pack in there, youre putting a 2 bar synth sequence in there. theres a lot of importing to the card via a computer being done (bleuurghh)

I will properly explain what I meant about the pitching and creativity thing at some point maybe. if you don't know already though I suspect my explanation wont help unless you happen to discover for yourself what I mean.

finally I would like to make it clear that I am as capable as anybody of reading and understanding a manual.

nah just kidding I'm a cunt. I don't know how to use the doge thing... never got it I just liked his face there and then7

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; 01-10-2017 at 08:55 PM..

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2017, 07:16 PM   #27
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
@fmb tho, don't get discouraged I am pretty sure you can figure out a way to work with the octatrack, you just need to change the way you work things out.
You might need to plan things out more maybe.
I can definitely make it work and ive got plans already in motion. it definitely not what I wanted however and like I said I am worried about resale. I'm actually considering cashing out now while I can most likely actually make money on it and then getting an mpc1000 which I never thought id say. this for different reasons though... because it has the best midi sequencer (plus its way cheaper so I can buy something else too)

------------------
Old 29-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #28
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

The MPC doesn't really come into its own if you don't have at least a couple other synths tho, as far as a sequencer goes.
And I concur 100% about what you said about needing source material to load and use into the octatrack.
I've been called an idiot on other forums cuz I said I hated the sampling in the octatrack and rather create my source material in live and export it via USB. But whatever, once that stuff is inside the octatrack the sequencer is second to none imo for changing a cool loop into something completely different.
And you can really experiment with it like crazy, but it's done at the sequencer level as opposed to the pad/ sound level. Imo it's more cerebral that way but also way more capable.
If you wanted you could put triggers on each step with different sounds/ effects/ settings on each.
If you tried doing that on the mpc it would take forever to load all the different sounds to different pads and then to sequence that would be a pain imo.
Honestly the octatrack and mpc are a great pair tho. I think you might also be disappointed by and mpc 1000, the effects are terrible but it is a more "standard" sampling groovebox.
Thanks to jbvdb493
FunkMasterBrown (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 PM   #29
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
The MPC doesn't really come into its own if you don't have at least a couple other synths tho, as far as a sequencer goes.
And I concur 100% about what you said about needing source material to load and use into the octatrack.
I've been called an idiot on other forums cuz I said I hated the sampling in the octatrack and rather create my source material in live and export it via USB. But whatever, once that stuff is inside the octatrack the sequencer is second to none imo for changing a cool loop into something completely different.
And you can really experiment with it like crazy, but it's done at the sequencer level as opposed to the pad/ sound level. Imo it's more cerebral that way but also way more capable.
If you wanted you could put triggers on each step with different sounds/ effects/ settings on each.
If you tried doing that on the mpc it would take forever to load all the different sounds to different pads and then to sequence that would be a pain imo.
Honestly the octatrack and mpc are a great pair tho. I think you might also be disappointed by and mpc 1000, the effects are terrible but it is a more "standard" sampling groovebox.
well for now its going to be the centre of a very simple hardware setup and I'm mega excited by this so not really thought much more about it as I'm constantly on ebay lol it will be great for this purpose but wont be doing anything more than straightforward in terms of sampling.
parameter locks controlling synth modules with cc is fucking really exciting! has anybody had any experience with that? I'm looking to buy a nice drum machine I'm wondering if any of you guys know a drum machine that is great for parameter locks from the OT. what do you think??

------------------
Old 02-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #30
Schnork
IDMf Artist
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC

I thought about getting a Nord Drum 2 in order to expand my OT with drum synthesis. Pretty deep synthesis engine with different kinds of fm algos and even modal synthesis.

Yesterday I had so much fun using the Octatrack as a "daw sequencer". Operator with three lfo´s? -> awesome! Reaktor with step sequencing, cc control, lfo designer and different track length? -> amazing!

Also OT LFO´s in one shot mode makes an additional envelope if a synth is missing any. Lfo´s are great on amp decay when doing fast sequences. Brought my Minilogue to new life^^

------------------
Thanks to Schnork
FunkMasterBrown (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 12:43 AM   #31
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

How do you set the lofs to single cycle?
Old 02-10-2017, 08:02 AM   #32
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Set Trig to 'One'. It will run for one cycle each time a sample is trigged. 'Half' will make the lfo run for half a cycle.

------------------
Thanks to Schnork
jbvdb493 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:55 PM   #33
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Ok, here I see one that actually bugs me a lot about the octatrack,
Is there offline pitch shifting? I can't seem to find it in the edit menus, and since I find the resampling quite horrendous I wish I could find that.
It is a bread and butter feature of other samplers ffs!
Old 02-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #34
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Ok, here I see one that actually bugs me a lot about the octatrack,
Is there offline pitch shifting? I can't seem to find it in the edit menus, and since I find the resampling quite horrendous I wish I could find that.
It is a bread and butter feature of other samplers ffs!
What do you mean by offline pitch shifting?

------------------
Old 02-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #35
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Destructive pitch shifting, as opposed to using the pitch knob.
Old 18-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #36
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Resample?

------------------
Old 29-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #37
Schnork
IDMf Artist

------------------
Old 23-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #38
Schnork
IDMf Artist

How do you work in 7/8 time signature on the Octatrack? I'm tired and all those numbers and little red lights don't make any sense...Would love to finish this thing tonight, though.

------------------
Old 23-12-2017, 01:52 AM   #39
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnork View Post
How do you work in 7/8 time signature on the Octatrack? I'm tired and all those numbers and little red lights don't make any sense...Would love to finish this thing tonight, though.
Set the sequencer to multiples of 14. So 38 steps per track should do it.
Unless my math is waaay off lol!
Old 23-12-2017, 01:35 PM   #40
Schnork
IDMf Artist

Yap, setting the OT to multiples of 14 steps is correct. I figured it out already yesterday, but thanks man.
When in doubt, I usually set up a Drum Rack in Live (in this case Live set to work in 7/8) and check if the recorded audio from the OT aligns with the drums on the grid.

Advertisements

------------------