New VS Used Gear - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 14-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #21
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York
MC Status: 1910
Re: New VS Used Gear

O yeah forgot my room set up in in a basement which has cement floors with fake tiles on them but there is a thin carpet over most of the floor

Advertisements

------------------
bass&moddedFreq is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 11:05 PM   #22
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
bass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant futurebass&moddedFreq has a brilliant future
Long Island, New York

Question to you guys too... The speakers i came with have a think foam pad on the bottom to reduce the rattle if there is one, im assuming these are not good enough? at least its something until i can get good pads if not lol

------------------
Old 24-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

I'm thinking about bidding on some gear on ebay...
The one thing I'm afraid of having happen is that I buy an expensive piece of gear and I get it in poor condition, or something doesn't work, etc etc.

What happens in that sort of situation on ebay? Like, the thing you buy doesn't come in the specified condition.

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Never bought anything off ebay before but I'm starting to see the value in it.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #24
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

You can gey a refund depending on who you buy fron.... i just got an axiom 25 in mint condition for 59 usd so you can get great deals

------------------
Thanks to bass&moddedFreq
statisticquill (24-10-2013)
Old 24-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #25
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644318
Thanked 4,901 Times in 3,161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post
The one thing I'm afraid of having happen is that I buy an expensive piece of gear and I get it in poor condition, or something doesn't work, etc etc.

What happens in that sort of situation on ebay? Like, the thing you buy doesn't come in the specified condition.

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Never bought anything off ebay before but I'm starting to see the value in it.
eBay buyer protection is buyer friendly, hence the name, buyer protection. Of all the gear I've bought there I've only had trouble once. I purchased a crap drum machine and it arrived all marked up with sharpie and nonfunctional. I submitted a trouble ticket. You'll have to let the system run it's course, they'll give the seller time to respond, but unless he can prove you are lying you'll win.

eBay will then refund your money and fees you paid. They'll also e-mail you a return shipping label so you don't lose there either. Once you ship it back and it's delivered the funds are released back to you. That's what happened with me and everyone else I've ever talked to about this issue. eBay even encouraged me to leave negative feedback on the sellers account.

If the seller doesn't respond to the dispute eBay freezes the sellers paypal account and refunds you anyway.

However most people that sell gear care about the gear they are selling. They also care about their selling reputation on eBays system. Just make sure their rating is solid and I guarantee you won't have to go through this.

No need to worry.

------------------
------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 11:59 PM   #26
statisticquill
Ghostly
statisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond reputestatisticquill has a reputation beyond repute
Calgary
MC Status: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
eBay buyer protection is buyer friendly, hence the name, buyer protection. Of all the gear I've bought there I've only had trouble once. I purchased a crap drum machine and it arrived all marked up with sharpie and nonfunctional. I submitted a trouble ticket. You'll have to let the system run it's course, they'll give the seller time to respond, but unless he can prove you are lying you'll win.

eBay will then refund your money and fees you paid. They'll also e-mail you a return shipping label so you don't lose there either. Once you ship it back and it's delivered the funds are released back to you. That's what happened with me and everyone else I've ever talked to about this issue. eBay even encouraged me to leave negative feedback on the sellers account.

If the seller doesn't respond to the dispute eBay freezes the sellers paypal account and refunds you anyway.

However most people that sell gear care about the gear they are selling. They also care about their selling reputation on eBays system. Just make sure their rating is solid and I guarantee you won't have to go through this.

No need to worry.
Thanks a ton! Its really comforting to know that the system actually works. I've never been one for buying stuff online, but I might just start. So many good deals on used gear that's been treated well.
statisticquill is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #27
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8549080
Thanked 7,163 Times in 5,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticquill View Post

If the seller has a really poor description or claim the item functions when it doesn't you should be OK. I've heard lots of stories on Gearslutz about eBay troubles. But honestly, I pretty much see a deal and snap it up if I'm in the market. I've never bought anything to did function to my expectations via the description on the auction.

You usually get better deals when buying from individuals, but have a better chance of getting screwed than if you go with a business using eBay to sell (at least IMHO). Also, do your research, make sure you have some idea of what a used X should sell for. Lots of people sell used gear for very near or over the price you can buy things new for at sweetwater, muscian's friend, zzounds, etc.

If you have a chance to demo stuff at a retail store in real life, do it. This way it'll be more immediately clear whether or not something is functioning properly when you buy it on eBay.

Finally, test things quickly! I think reporting issues immediately will help it look less like buyers remorse. Also, save the packing for a couple weeks. If something was damaged in shipping and you can demonstrate the buyer did a poor job of packaging that may help as well.

Once you buy a couple pieces of used gear I think you'll be able to spot bad auctions.

If an auction doesn't make a clear statement about functionality and cosmetic condition--don't buy. That's a red flag. I stay away from auctions that say things like "I plugged it in and turned it on and it powered on. Selling AS IS. Didn't fully test functionality" I feel like you can almost be assured something isn't right with the item and the owner is hoping to recoupe some cash on a bad item.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
statisticquill (25-10-2013)
Old 25-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #28
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
If the seller has a really poor description or claim the item functions when it doesn't you should be OK. I've heard lots of stories on Gearslutz about eBay troubles. But honestly, I pretty much see a deal and snap it up if I'm in the market. I've never bought anything to did function to my expectations via the description on the auction.

You usually get better deals when buying from individuals, but have a better chance of getting screwed than if you go with a business using eBay to sell (at least IMHO). Also, do your research, make sure you have some idea of what a used X should sell for. Lots of people sell used gear for very near or over the price you can buy things new for at sweetwater, muscian's friend, zzounds, etc.

If you have a chance to demo stuff at a retail store in real life, do it. This way it'll be more immediately clear whether or not something is functioning properly when you buy it on eBay.

Finally, test things quickly! I think reporting issues immediately will help it look less like buyers remorse. Also, save the packing for a couple weeks. If something was damaged in shipping and you can demonstrate the buyer did a poor job of packaging that may help as well.

Once you buy a couple pieces of used gear I think you'll be able to spot bad auctions.

If an auction doesn't make a clear statement about functionality and cosmetic condition--don't buy. That's a red flag. I stay away from auctions that say things like "I plugged it in and turned it on and it powered on. Selling AS IS. Didn't fully test functionality" I feel like you can almost be assured something isn't right with the item and the owner is hoping to recoupe some cash on a bad item.
Yeah im going to agree, ive gotten good deals from stores on ebay but you can get better deals from individuals.. just check it as soon as yoi get.. if theres a problem it be esier and quicker to get everything done.. good luck, i hope you can find ssome great deals like i have.... makes everything easier on the wallet or purse which ever you prefer

------------------
Old 21-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #29
SlimShady94
Minor Glitch
SlimShady94 has a spectacular aura aboutSlimShady94 has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass&moddedFreq View Post
Hey guys i was searching around the forum to try to find some information so if there is a forum with this already just link...but.... Here's the deal:

I'm looking to upgrade my sound at my house. I don't have proper producing set up what so ever. So I want to invest in an audio interface for my Desktop and monitors to go with.

Now the real question is, should one buy used or new? What i would think would be used for the audio interface and new for speakers but I just don't know how long speakers last to be all honest.

So what would you do or what have you done in the past? I'm trying to to do it on the cheaper side since I don't have that much disposable income as of right now (maybe that will change).
you should check "how used" the items you're gonna buy are..!
SlimShady94 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #30
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimShady94 View Post
you should check "how used" the items you're gonna buy are..!
Yes sure thing, I've already purchased the items i started the thread about but that is a great point... The two peices Ive bought recently that were used , presonus usb audio box and an axiom25 were both in mint condition from the people that i bought them from.. great deals too btw

------------------
Old 21-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #31
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65460
Thanked 1,309 Times in 987 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
OMG, that is so important, props to Numerical!, and don't forget...

DONT AIM THE F-ING MONITORS AT YOUR STOMACH, AIM THEM AT YOUR EARS.

Sorry for yelling, but almost every studio pic I ever see except at pro studios has the monitors aimed at bloke's stomachs. Not acoustically sound, choice.

Anyways, I got my gear used and it sped up the process of having gear significantly. I got a used laptop for 60 dollars that used to sell for 2000 dollars. I got a used interface for 150 dollars that currently sells for 300 dollars. It was worth it. Next month I'm upgrading my other stuff if I can because my MIDI keyboard is kind of wimpy (nanoKEY). I'm used to at least 49 actual keys and real pitch and mod wheels, not 27 pushbuttons.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 12:09 AM   #32
laser
Microknight
laser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud oflaser has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1010

I would never buy used gear. There is a chance for the soul of some dead autotune-hipster to be inside the gear. Then he will haunt your tunes and projects forever.
laser is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to laser
Nystagmus (22-11-2013)
Old 22-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #33
g0lem
Savage Mad Cunt
g0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MCg0lem is a savage MC
c-audio's basement, apparently.
MC Status: 31610

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
I would never buy used gear. There is a chance for the soul of some dead autotune-hipster to be inside the gear. Then he will haunt your tunes and projects forever.
i'd be ok with that.

------------------
g0lem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to g0lem
Nystagmus (22-11-2013)
Old 22-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DfiledVegan View Post
OMG, that is so important, props to Numerical!, and don't forget...

DONT AIM THE F-ING MONITORS AT YOUR STOMACH, AIM THEM AT YOUR EARS.
Yeah that was the first thing I did when I got my first set of monitors made sure that my ears were right in the middle of the speaker, IDK if thats exactly the right thing to do but thats how the hight on my desk and chair work out thankfully, need to get a real computer chair though so I can sit there for longer lol

------------------
Old 22-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #35
imma3k
Soundscaper
imma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud ofimma3k has much to be proud of
narnia, chillin with mr tumnus n shit.
MC Status: 1310

Quote:
Yeah i've looked up to make sure that i set them up in the proper triangle.... As of now it is a bedroom studio so there are other objects that i cant get rid of that might create some pockets but im not sure, and thanks for the reminder about the bass traps and other absorption pads i can get.. Didn't know you could make your own defiantly need to look into how to do that
if you havent found it yourself already, this thread is extremely useful for everything treatment wise:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Latest Track:
imma3k is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 06:10 AM   #36
calypsoB
calypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improvecalypsoB can only hope to improve
MC Status: -12411435

RME makes some damn good audio interfaces. As for monitors, I'm a tannoy and focal fan, accurate bass and really flat accurate mids and highs
calypsoB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #37
kurple
kurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MCkurple is a savage MC
rva
MC Status: 7088568

I bought a used Tascam 144 from craigslist...conked out after a few months, so just be wary of it.

------------------
soundcloud.com/bluenicorn facebook.com/bluenicorn
kurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #38
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10532251

If you buy secondhand then you tend to get back what you payed for it once you sell it on.

Ive got lots of synths which i have bought brand new however i did buy a Moog Little Phatty stage 2, Korg MS2000b and Studio Electronics SE-1X all secondhand off Ebay and had no trouble with any of them.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 PM   #39
bass&moddedFreq
Ghostly
Long Island, New York

Yeah Ive made some purchases since i made this thread.... Monitors (new), Headphones (new/gift), audio interface (used) midi controller (used), midi controller (new), mic (used/demo version)... Everything that i bought used works just a good as i would think a new one would.. So far so good with the buying gear experience (especially since i got a great deal on almost everything so far)

------------------
Thanks to bass&moddedFreq
relic (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #40
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8549080
Thanked 7,163 Times in 5,081 Posts

Quote:
Yeah Ive made some purchases since i made this thread.... Monitors (new), Headphones (new/gift), audio interface (used) midi controller (used), midi controller (new), mic (used/demo version)... Everything that i bought used works just a good as i would think a new one would.. So far so good with the buying gear experience (especially since i got a great deal on almost everything so far)
Good to hear man. eBay window shopping can be dangerous for your checking account, but enjoy : )

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote