New VS Used Gear - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 30-10-2016, 09:20 PM   #61
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 22610
Re: New VS Used Gear

I'd rather get something new. I have gotten a one used synth, and nothing was wrong with it, but idk I just want my instrument to feel like mines. The only thing I have used that I have had for years is my acoustic guitar which was my uncles but he hardly ever used it so it was new for me.

I also like the smell of new gear haha. I do like vintage gear and there are pieces I want that I can not get new like an andromeda A6, but that is also a steep investment compared to most new things that are synths.

Advertisements

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #62
cane creek
Savage Mad Cunt
cane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MCcane creek is a savage MC
Middlesbrough
MC Status: 10533901

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I also like the smell of new gear haha. I do like vintage gear and there are pieces I want that I can not get new like an andromeda A6, but that is also a steep investment compared to most new things that are synths.
I think nowadays id get a Deepmind12 close my eyes and pretend i have an A6, would save a lot of money.

------------------
cane creek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 03:17 PM   #63
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 32110

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
I'd rather get something new. I have gotten a one used synth, and nothing was wrong with it, but idk I just want my instrument to feel like mines. The only thing I have used that I have had for years is my acoustic guitar which was my uncles but he hardly ever used it so it was new for me.

I am the opposite, most my gear except my monitors, push and most my guitar pedals are from eBay.
Octatrack MPC, bass station are all second hand and I am fine with that!
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #64
LDKitz
Analog Lurker
LDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to beholdLDKitz is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

If im trying to save some money , ex-demo all day baby , only from reliable stores tho.
Like somebody else i dont like to buy used stuff tho , i dont rly like the idea of receiving a malfunctioning item and waste time and money on it.
So i always try to get ex-demo gear , u save some money and its basically new.

Peace
LDKitz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:35 PM   #65
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8560380
Thanked 7,389 Times in 5,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDKitz View Post
If im trying to save some money , ex-demo all day baby , only from reliable stores tho.
Like somebody else i dont like to buy used stuff tho , i dont rly like the idea of receiving a malfunctioning item and waste time and money on it.
So i always try to get ex-demo gear , u save some money and its basically new.

Peace
I've bought a few demo and open box returns. Defo a nice way to save some cash and get a basially mint piece of gear.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 AM   #66
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

i am looking for a midi keyboard.full size keys,basic.seems like shit is way overpriced these days,so yeah im looking used.but i see some scary shit being sold on ebay for waaaay too much.so pawn shopping i guess.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:03 AM   #67
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 195260
Thanked 3,905 Times in 2,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
i am looking for a midi keyboard.full size keys,basic.seems like shit is way overpriced these days,so yeah im looking used.but i see some scary shit being sold on ebay for waaaay too much.so pawn shopping i guess.
Try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
on eBay..he deals in second-hand and unboxed display stuff..all mint condition, unless otherwise stated. I've personally got stuff from him before and he has some real bargains from time to time. Really depends on how much you have to spend I guess.

Just scroll down the page to see some of the keyboard he current has on offer.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Rixtr (14-08-2017)
Old 14-08-2017, 02:09 AM   #68
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
fuck you!
MC Status: 329126900
Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Try [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
on eBay..he deals in second-hand and unboxed display stuff..all mint condition, unless otherwise stated. I've personally got stuff from him before and he has some real bargains from time to time. Really depends on how much you have to spend I guess.

Just scroll down the page to see some of the keyboard he current has on offer.
i really appreciate the heads up.buuut thats eur.the overseas shipping alone would defeat the purpose.but again thanks.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #69
DeadCat
Minor Glitch
DeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really niceDeadCat is just really nice
South
MC Status: 360

I think if you are looking for rather expensive or rare gear, you can pretty much always trust the used one. Main reason for thinking like this is that people do not buy expensive gear just for fun, and when they show dedication and collect money and dream about this one item be it old analog synth or boutique amp, they tend to take good care of it, because it has great value to them both in monetary and emotionally.

I would always go for used speakers also, because speakers tend to stand in one place usually a pretty safe one. Also apart from speaker drive it is pretty hard to damage speaker lethally.

I would not buy used DJ gear, as they tend to travel alot and be in hands of many, also exposed to drunk people and liquids. I would also not buy used and cheap midi controllers neither stompboxes.

There is also little math behind all this. If you buy new gear and sell it afterwards you will sell it cheaper. BUT if you buy gear used already first of all you get it cheaper so you could potentially buy better gear for the same money (Instead of buying new 500 usd mic you buy little bit better 500 usd used mic which was 600 in shop) and if at one point you need to sell it (maybe you overgrow your equipment or just need to upgrade) you can sell it pretty much for the same value you invested initially, as you sell it used and bought it used. The difference between buying used and selling used compared to buying new and selling used is significant.

But its only my oppinion.
DeadCat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #70
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8760

I used to constantly buy and sell used audio hardware.
But I can't really see myself doing that as much because so much good gear is just too old now.
I mean if something breaks down, there's no way to fix the stuff anymore.
And a lot of old stuff is worn out now.

However, I am severely missing out on some really good stuff, so I will probably start creating a hybrid setup pretty soon. These days I'm remembering the hardware I used to have and realising exactly how it made my music and music-making better.

------------------
{novel, fresh, different, recent, modern, unexampled}
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #71
Sheiknbeik
Regular Freak
Sheiknbeik will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Never had an issue buying used gear, as long as the seller is trustworthy.
Sheiknbeik is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:51 PM   #72
tristcarmichael
Granular Poster
tristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nicetristcarmichael is just really nice
Cape Town
MC Status: 410

I must be honest. I tend to favour used gear more than brand new gear. Unless plugins, I'm always on the lookout for used/vintage/classic gear to add to my studio. Recently used a JUNO6 and I got to say, sometimes you just can't beat stuff that was made back in those days. The components, the workmenship and the passion. Although very close, the JUNO106 had nothing on the 6. There was just so much warmth...

Advertisements

tristcarmichael is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote