Give me a key!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1310
Give me a key!

I've been noticing a trend recently with all the music I make. In an effort to derail this a bit, I wanted to know some of your favorite keys to produce in? I usually stick with G major/diminished keys. Recently I did one in F#, but that's about the most derailment I have. So lets hear it. I'll be starting on my next track soon (It's going to have a dance vibe to it) and would like to change keys up a bit. Maybe make it interesting.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
Its not the vst that makes the man but the man, that makes the vst.
Sobia6464 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts
Re: Give me a key!

Try changing the mode instead.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
Sobia6464 (05-06-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #3
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler
Sobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud ofSobia6464 has much to be proud of

Well I tried going from a G major to a G dorian but it just hit my ear wrong. Maybe because I'm not used to it... perhaps I gave in too early on that concept... I will continue to try to make a song in that key and see what happens then. Do you have any particular favorites or recommendations?

Last edited by Sobia6464; 05-06-2016 at 05:14 PM..

------------------
Quote:
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236429

Bhairavi, where Sa = 453Hz

------------------
Blingley is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:05 PM   #5
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910

Try this progression/chords/keys: E flat major, G minor, B flat major, D Major
The D and B to add in interest.
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:03 AM   #6
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744018941
Thanked 7,030 Times in 4,376 Posts

Try C#m7 to DMaj7.

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
Crude_beats
Banned
Crude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MCCrude_beats is a savage MC
Rocking my boat across the seven seas
MC Status: 115728

G# bass sits so good there. A half step down from the common A, giving potential for a little rougher feel, slack feel.
Crude_beats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Crude_beats
Sobia6464 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #8
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 6710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobia6464 View Post
Well I tried going from a G major to a G dorian but it just hit my ear wrong. Maybe because I'm not used to it... perhaps I gave in too early on that concept... I will continue to try to make a song in that key and see what happens then. Do you have any particular favorites or recommendations?
That's a big difference. G major is of course major. G dorian is essentially G minor with a slight alteration. If you wanted to vary slightly from g major you could try G mixolydian. If you like G major, maybe try playing some E minor stuff over it because it is the same but will maybe give you a twist.

here's one of my g major/eminor ones
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to envelope3
Sobia6464 (08-06-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #9
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280599
Thanked 1,161 Times in 747 Posts

I usually just start playing something and then figure out the key later to add to it. I never start with knowing the key already. I will however change the key of something I've written if I'm trying things out and discover that it works better.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 12:16 PM   #10
N-BDY
Regular Freak
N-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura aboutN-BDY has a spectacular aura about
Helsinki
MC Status: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by candlesayshi View Post
I usually just start playing something and then figure out the key later to add to it. I never start with knowing the key already. I will however change the key of something I've written if I'm trying things out and discover that it works better.
Same here! I usually start from a melody or a riff. Slowly figure out the right notes that make it sound the way I want it to sound. And before long I'll have the seven notes on which the chords, melodies, riffs and the whole shebang can be produced...
N-BDY is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:11 PM   #11
Sobia6464
Soundwave Mangler

Sorry guys! Was away for a couple days. I love all of these suggestions I will take them all to heart and try them all out. I love hearing different methods - different ways of doing things. I also recently got a new VST pack (soundtoys 5) after trying the demo. <3 I'm in love. You guys are the best.

------------------
Quote:
Old 10-06-2016, 08:19 PM   #12
Somn
Minor Glitch
Somn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to allSomn is a name known to all
Stockholm
MC Status: 610

The key can have a _huge_ impact on your bass when making club music. Some keys work especially well for certain melodies, to make sure that you don't have to raise some of the bass notes into the more "melodic" mids territory whilst keeping it's impact decent on smaller systems. I always try to go as low as possible with my sub, but it needs to be audible and reproducable. A key impacts which notes you can pick while keeping your melody.
Somn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
WillDarling
Minor Glitch
WillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really niceWillDarling is just really nice
The Isle of Wight, England
MC Status: 410

If it's going to be played on a big sound system (e.g in a club), A is a good root, as the bass fundamental frequency and harmonics hit the sweet spot for those systems (i.e. 29Hz for A0 then 58Hz for A1).

Will @EDMtips.com
WillDarling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:09 PM   #14
-Agu-
Soundwave Mangler
-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute-Agu- has a reputation beyond repute
Helsinki
MC Status: 4160

Anything except B or C as a root imo. C# is a grey area.

------------------
-Agu- is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:17 PM   #15
BlindfoldKnobs
Minor Glitch
BlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enoughBlindfoldKnobs will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Select the key according to the instrument range (human voice / synth lead / guitar...). There is no better or worse key, it is all relative to timbre and frequency extension of the instrument/patch itself.
BlindfoldKnobs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:56 AM   #16
TheStumps
Radial Developer
TheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond reputeTheStumps has a reputation beyond repute
Alaska
MC Status: 2910

A minor pentatonic.
Heck, even narrow yourself down to three rhythm notes (e.g. A D E E) rather than 4 for 4.

Sometimes restricting your options, rather than increasing, can help spark creativity.

Advertisements

TheStumps is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote