How to electronic music...[ODESI]
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 14-05-2016, 05:39 PM   #1
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1536277
Thanked 1,961 Times in 1,251 Posts
How to electronic music...[ODESI]

... without all that pesky music theory bullshit.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

another fine product from the company that brought you Mixed In Key, the tool for mixing in key without knowing what a key is.

This product should shut down about 70% of the music theory posts in this SubCategory.

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold
MC Status: 6910
Re: How to electronic music...

Pesky music theory? Come ONNNNNNNNN....
U-235 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO

who needs it tho.

BANGERZ BEFORE BASICZZZZ BRO!!!

------------------
Old 14-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #4
U-235
Sample Destroyer
U-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond reputeU-235 has a reputation beyond repute
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
who needs it tho.

BANGERZ BEFORE BASICZZZZ BRO!!!
If you can make something without it (theory) then great. But, I think most people are not musical geniuses and they will only get so far with aids.
Thanks to U-235
A.M (14-05-2016)
Old 14-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #5
Mindsweeper
★VIP MEGA EURO STAR★
Mindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MCMindsweeper is a savage MC
BUTTFUCKSVILLE
MC Status: 262786029
Thanked 2,927 Times in 1,770 Posts

So it's basically RapidComposer but marketed towards EDM brozz?
Mindsweeper is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184010
Thanked 3,680 Times in 2,742 Posts

Spend another $100 on something like Cognitone's Harmony Navigator and you might also learn just what the fuck is going on when you hit those keys..wouldn't that be cool!

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
oly (14-05-2016)
Old 14-05-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80993580
Thanked 4,067 Times in 2,639 Posts

why even bother, just get your haircut right and let the grownups decide what music you should have your face associated with

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #8
iDoG
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-235 View Post
If you can make something without it (theory) then great. But, I think most people are not musical geniuses and they will only get so far with aids.
Well, Magic Johnson got pretty fucking far...
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 08:58 PM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 52310
Thanked 1,046 Times in 771 Posts

Is this so different from similar functionality in Maschine?

Or downloading loops and stringing them together with samples to something new?

In the end, it's the underlying original ideas that count, and they are either there or they are not. In many ways the line between DJing and music production is becoming blurred. I'd like to think that genuine talent will always stand out, as will original ideas.

I find it hard to get worked up about technology that makes the process easier. If it sounds interesting and I like it, I'll listen. If I think about early Kraftwerk records, Jungle as a genre, for example, it was new and exciting when it was first heard, Jeff Mills, Juan Atkinson, the first Trance records. It wasn't the question whether it was difficult to make this music, it was that no one had made it before, that it wasn't a fad, yet. Electro and Dubstep aren't bad per se, it's when shit is heard at the carnival and blaring from every bar during spring break, and used in soda and chewing gum commercials when it's time to move on. When my colleague nearing retirement age hangs out at a Deadmau5 gig, I'm glad he/she is having fun and enjoying life, but it may also indicate we need some new ideas.

Don't forget that the whole idea is about having fun. Having fun making, finding, and listening to music. There is lots to chose from, and what's not to like about that?

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 09:32 PM   #10
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 184010
Thanked 3,680 Times in 2,742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post

Or downloading loops and stringing them together with samples to something new?

In the end, it's the underlying original ideas that count, and they are either there or they are not. In many ways the line between DJing and music production is becoming blurred. I'd like to think that genuine talent will always stand out, as will original ideas.

I find it hard to get worked up about technology that makes the process easier. If it sounds interesting and I like it, I'll listen. If I think about early Kraftwerk records, Jungle as a genre, for example, it was new and exciting when it was first heard, Jeff Mills, Juan Atkinson, the first Trance records. It wasn't the question whether it was difficult to make this music, it was that no one had made it before, that it wasn't a fad, yet. Electro and Dubstep aren't bad per se, it's when shit is heard at the carnival and blaring from every bar during spring break, and used in soda and chewing gum commercials when it's time to move on. When my colleague nearing retirement age hangs out at a Deadmau5 gig, I'm glad he/she is having fun and enjoying life, but it may also indicate we need some new ideas.

Don't forget that the whole idea is about having fun. Having fun making, finding, and listening to music. There is lots to chose from, and what's not to like about that?
I tend to agree with you for the most part, but the whole age thing I don't, seeing as I'm more than likely the same age as the guy you referred to. Music isn't about age..that mindset is part of what's wrong with the whole music industry..trying to cram everything into its own little fucking box, so they can sell it on to the right target market.

Why can't a 50 year old be into the same music as a teen..or a teen into Mozart? I'm not saying that's what you said, but that's the natural conclusion that follows on from your line of thought..that age is somehow a defining benchmark that can or should be an indication we need some new ideas. Why so? What's wrong with all ages liking the same styles and genres of music?

Talent will always shine through..but only if it's given access to an audience who can grow to appreciate that talent in the first place..over time if needs be. If you start implying that people of a certain age shouldn't really be listening to certain kinds of music, then we're all basically screwed, as sooner or later either we become redundant due to age, or our fans become too old to listen to us anymore!

One last, but important think..you always come across to me as being an intelligent guy, whose posts tend to make good reading..so, this being the weekend..and the fact it's getting late here and other non-mentionable factors, there's a chance I've completely misunderstood and this post of mine is then just a load of rambling drivel. I

F this is the case, then forget you ever read any of this and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 10:36 PM   #11
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25960

My main problem with this type of thing is that people would probably get more interesting results by just developing their ear just a bit. I'm not even talking about theory. I'm just talking about farting around with chords in the piano roll. I feel like the stuff you come up with on programs like this is just gonna sound a lot more samey. Which could be the goal.

I got an ipad ap kind of like this that I like to mess with sometimes but for this price? Heeeeellllllll no

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2016, 11:51 PM   #12
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

I've been using Cathulu recently and it's been loads of fun so I only have a tiny bit of room to talk. Cathulu though only sequences chords and has an arp. This application though, essentially writing everything for you, I think takes things a bit too far.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #13
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-235 View Post
the sarcasm runs deep in this thread.

------------------
Thanks to chasedobson
Jaded (15-05-2016)
Old 15-05-2016, 01:23 AM   #14
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
the sarcasm runs deep in this thread.
I am kind of dumb when it comes to sarcasm sometimes...it often flies over my head.

My dad plays by ear and has the musical talent to about anything without being traditionally schooled in theory. Never taking piano he can play the piano, he can sing and harmonize on three levels with any vocal and be on tune.

He can play classical guitar and anything by ear, not just strumming chords.

I have the same ear for music and I struggled to learn how to sight read, but I worked hard and I feel I am better musically for having that depth of understanding.

So with that all said I am quite a bit biased when it comes to developing talent, learning the basics and practicing.
Old 15-05-2016, 01:31 AM   #15
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCoB View Post
Well, Magic Johnson got pretty fucking far...
LOL, I just got this. DUH. At first I was like, "oh Magic Johnson went into music?"

Old 15-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #16
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6903759
Thanked 3,491 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
That's what I was thinking. Then I pressed play on the video..

It automatically sets the bass line to follow the chords: "This allows you to experiment with different chord progressions without editing your baseline." As opposed to knowing what key your track is in.

Man, this video is making me lol so bad.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 05:53 AM   #17
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC

Quote:
When you’re done with your Odesi session, you will have a 100% composed track that’s ready for production. All your melodies, basslines and chord progressions will be finished.
Fuck it bros. If all my melodies, baselines and chords are finished fuck production, let's release so we can MainStage at TomorrowLand this summer.

Fuck Guetta!
Old 15-05-2016, 05:55 AM   #18
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
That's what I was thinking. Then I pressed play on the video..

It automatically sets the bass line to follow the chords: "This allows you to experiment with different chord progressions without editing your baseline." As opposed to knowing what key your track is in.

Man, this video is making me lol so bad.
I just watched the video and to me this kind of equivalent to paint by numbers compared to painting a painting free hand.
Old 15-05-2016, 05:56 AM   #19
U-235
Sample Destroyer
Fields of Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Fuck it bros. If all my melodies, baselines and chords are finished fuck production, let's release so we can MainStage at TomorrowLand this summer.

Fuck Guetta!
Let's do it! Count me in!
Old 15-05-2016, 05:58 AM   #20
Jaded
Total mad cunt

Oh fuck... If this wasn't $49 to buy this would be soooooooo good for an IDM community project:

IDMf presents Odesi: Listen to what a bunch of mentally unhinged nerds can mangle out of a bonafide hit machine used by legends like David Guetta, Avicii and Porter Robinson to churn out their trademark generic beats that you dance to because you've only ever had shitty 21st century drugs.

Advertisements