Being a video game composer
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF
MC Status: 7104577
Being a video game composer

Some of the best music I've ever heard comes from video games, since I had an NES, actually. It might be kind of a turn-off for some composers to consider it, but I don't know ... or maybe I'm not with it and it actually is cool. After all, they're actually using choirs and orchestras sometimes now, aren't they? It seems like it might be a good fit for me since I'm much more of a casual composer than some.

I'd personally love to compose for like indie games or something like that! I think hearing the Borderlands 2 soundtrack helped inspire me.

Advertisements

------------------
bandcamp | soundcloud | tumblr | twitter

Like my facebook page for a free album code.
cirric is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to cirric
PROton42 (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 15460
Re: Being a video game composer

There was a Computer Music issue about this recently, it is indeed a new market to consider.
I don't really understand why you mention your being a "casual composer", it's a full-time composing gig as much as anything else.
Lots of chip records these days seem to be centered around the idea of being the soundtrack to an imaginary game, I think it's a good exercise to stimulate your pictures/music association as a composer

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Here's my love/hate about Video Game Music. Basically what I loved the most about NES, SNES, Genesis, anything pre-32-bit is that these musicians had to be talented enough to reproduce sounds as realistic as possible with the limited technology that they had. This means they needed more than a basic understanding of things like waveforms, software, hardware, instrument performance, as well as the tonal and performance qualities of the instruments they were attempting to recreate. I just have so much respect for that kind of forward thinking in electronics and music, combining acoustic aspects and mechanical instruments.

In some ways, the video game music industry has been somewhat lost on me now that we have the technology to simply take a recording of an actual orchestra and it probably takes up a fraction of the space and computing power compared to where visual graphics are at now. There are still brilliant electronic composers in the industry doing great things with the technology they have, there are just less composers really pushing their boundaries within the limits of what they work with. (i.e. "what limits?!")

I honestly would rather hear bleep-bloop music that has more emotional and musical context than a live recording of a 16 bar string swell or just a soundtrack of Warner/Universal/Rogers artists. Now I have nothing against modern acoustic composers like Jeremy Soule (one of my favorites), but it just felt more like an adventure when we were so limited that we essentially had to forget everything we knew about music and start from the ground up again in simplest terms. It was more exciting when it started, almost like the beginnings of truly substantial electronic music - and then I got into IDM.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
Kvlt O))) (13-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #4
cirric
Deep Underground
cirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MCcirric is a savage MC
SF

@Chozo Tull: Well yeah, that's why I was saying for smaller indie games, I'm well aware that being a video game composer is a full time gig. Who knows maybe I'll start by dabbling then it will unleash a flurry of composing.
@Dick Shit42: Yeah I have done some looking at waveforms from 8-bit soundtracks and it's pretty amazing the kind of micro modulations they can sometimes do for certain timbres. But there is perhaps quite a bit room for experimentation ... depending on the project I guess.

Last edited by cirric; 12-10-2014 at 08:27 PM..

------------------

Old 12-10-2014, 08:28 PM   #5
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris

^ That's the cool stuff about the soundtrack idea even if it's for nothing. The structures and tropes are already there for you to mess with ("I need a boss battle theme, a village theme, an opening credits, a closing credits ...")

I don't know if you're interested in these :

http://ubiktune.com/

http://dataglitch.bandcamp.com/

Can't remember any more at the moment :/

------------------
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks to Chozo Tull
cirric (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

^ very interesting, thanks indeed!

------------------

Old 12-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 34650
Thanked 4,126 Times in 2,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirric View Post
But there is perhaps quite a bit room for experimentation ... depending on the project I guess.
Oh, definitely! That's one of the things I'm not really fond of in modern chip-music, there's so much freedom that when the composition is done a LOT of people want to mix it like popular music or commercial EDM, and it completely ruins the effect for me.

With that said though, some new chip music out there still has the right idea:

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
cirric (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Cool, tracks with SNES "soundfonts": http://ubiktune.com/releases/ubi076-...wilson-snesque

And I looked up SNES soundfonts: http://www.williamkage.com/snes_soundfonts/

It sounds like SNES strings in Squarepusher's track Arterial Fantasy.

------------------

Old 12-10-2014, 09:06 PM   #9
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Near Paris

Can't post in a thread about chip music and not mention Tarmvred

Good track Broton

------------------
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks to Chozo Tull
cirric (12-10-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #10
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

^ Especially liking that second track. :banarock3:

------------------

Old 12-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #11
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Near Paris

This track's the tits. I never get bored of it.

------------------
Quote:
Quote:

Old 13-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #12
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Shit42 View Post
Here's my love/hate about Video Game Music. Basically what I loved the most about NES, SNES, Genesis, anything pre-32-bit is that these musicians had to be talented enough to reproduce sounds as realistic as possible with the limited technology that they had. This means they needed more than a basic understanding of things like waveforms, software, hardware, instrument performance, as well as the tonal and performance qualities of the instruments they were attempting to recreate. I just have so much respect for that kind of forward thinking in electronics and music, combining acoustic aspects and mechanical instruments.

In some ways, the video game music industry has been somewhat lost on me now that we have the technology to simply take a recording of an actual orchestra and it probably takes up a fraction of the space and computing power compared to where visual graphics are at now. There are still brilliant electronic composers in the industry doing great things with the technology they have, there are just less composers really pushing their boundaries within the limits of what they work with. (i.e. "what limits?!")

I honestly would rather hear bleep-bloop music that has more emotional and musical context than a live recording of a 16 bar string swell or just a soundtrack of Warner/Universal/Rogers artists. Now I have nothing against modern acoustic composers like Jeremy Soule (one of my favorites), but it just felt more like an adventure when we were so limited that we essentially had to forget everything we knew about music and start from the ground up again in simplest terms. It was more exciting when it started, almost like the beginnings of truly substantial electronic music - and then I got into IDM.
This is pretty much everything I'd have to say summed up. Limits are sometimes what makes something great. Even older video games had their limits which held my attention so much more than an open-world type ever could (what's the fucking point of having a million options anyway?).

Also, OP, I think a lot of us computer musicians have thought the same thing. Hell, even Vlantis made an epic soundtrack for a game that I would have played just for the soundtrack itself. You should get into that if it's something you're passionate about. But if it's just a passing thought you had, it probably won't materialize. I have a hunch there's really nothing memorable about indie game music (to the audience), but if it matters to you then it's absolutely worth doing.
Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kvlt O)))
PROton42 (13-10-2014)
Old 13-10-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Why not make an epic alternative soundtrack ... to games that already exist?!!!

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

------------------

Thanks to cirric
Kvlt O))) (13-10-2014)
Old 13-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
frajen
Analog Lurker
frajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud offrajen has much to be proud of
Berkeley, CA
MC Status: 1379

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirric View Post
Why not make an epic alternative soundtrack ... to games that already exist?!!!
This is where I started when learning to score.

Plus making alternative soundtracks for films (which is a lot harder in some cases).

------------------
Website
Soundcloud

Piano improvisations:
frajen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to frajen
cirric (13-10-2014)
Old 14-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #15
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the desert.
MC Status: 421877929
Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,889 Posts

Old game music is the best, because it's based on pure melody. It's literally the most melodic form of music, in my opinion (so I guess it's not "literally"). Sure, new game music isn't bad, but can you hum any of them from memory?

Also, *cough* my signature *cough*

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

I've fancied the idea of scoring something along the lines of horror/survival genres. What i've got out of those games is the score itself makes the suspense.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jVs
cirric (14-10-2014)
Old 14-10-2014, 07:39 PM   #17
2DC
Soundwave Mangler
2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute2DC has a reputation beyond repute
Edinburgh
MC Status: 2910

A friend of mine writes games or is writing a game, and I suppose he would be looking for music for said game or games, I dunno, not spoken to him in ages, cunt moved to Malaga innit? Hehe

Anyway, here's his webmag, his name is Stephen if you want to contact him through the mag http://www.pixel-issue.net/

------------------
I have nothing new for you to listen to.
2DC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to 2DC
cirric (14-10-2014)
Old 14-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #18
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
but can you hum any of them from memory?
A skill I started on when I was 8 years old or so, I remember trying to sing the Super Mario Brothers song wayyy back then and at first ended up with something that sounded like the Reading Rainbow theme.

I was MAD for video games, especially Super Mario back then.

------------------

Old 14-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #19
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 23210

Very informative. I've been looking into it myself, and I like the music of games from chip tune up to the 90s when you had Symphony of the night, Zelda, and Silent Hill as well.

I am not a fan of the orchestra thing though. They should save that for the movies and certain games imo.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #20
cirric
Deep Underground
SF

I might make a Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job!, fan soundtrack. Perhaps in a chiptune style.

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.

Advertisements

------------------

Thanks to cirric
PROton42 (15-10-2014)