Best synth for under 150?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 31-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #1
DistantSyndrome
Regular Freak
DistantSyndrome is currently spamming hard
Arizona
MC Status: 10
Best synth for under 150?

Ya, I'm on a tight budget. Wanna get a keyboard synth for under 150$. Would appreciate some advice from those more knowledgeable than me in this area.

Thanks!

Last edited by DistantSyndrome; 31-05-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Advertisements

DistantSyndrome is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #2
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628939
Re: Best synth for under 150?

Hi,

With that budget, you'll have to look at used VA products. I often see yamaha an1x for €100 here in the Netherlands, that would be a good choice. It depends on what you'd expect from a synth. If you want hands-on control, that might be a problem for 150,-. Maybe you're better off with a midi keyboard?

Cheers!

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
redgly
Minor Glitch
redgly will become famous soon enoughredgly will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

An used Novation bass station
redgly is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:49 PM   #4
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199648418
Thanked 4,983 Times in 3,204 Posts

Alesis Micron.

Same engine as the Ion minus all the fancy knobs. I had one once, it sounded great, but I sold it to fund something else with more knobs.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318139
Thanked 1,000 Times in 790 Posts

Korg Monotron Analog Ribbon Synth. Its rather small and doesn't offer a whole lot in terms of knobs. But for $50 new and functional, who cares.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

JvS may be on to something. You could get three of those monotrons, they have several kinds, for 150.

Check out the monotribe also or perhaps an ea-1.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564480
Thanked 7,471 Times in 5,276 Posts

I have a Korg Monotron Delay. It is really simple, but it actually gets some pretty gritty sounds off the square wave...plus you are getting the Korg MS20 filter for fifty bucks...a little rigging and you can run whatever you want through the filter. I've got mine set up on the send on my desktop mixer ATM.

I've also been researching grooveboxes ...you might consider a Korg Electribe EA they are going for around 150 US on eBay.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Zoopy
Microknight
Zoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MCZoopy is a savage MC
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 102306

Just save your money bro ! but the Micron is a good choice.

------------------
Zoopy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
JvS may be on to something. You could get three of those monotrons, they have several kinds, for 150.

Check out the monotribe also or perhaps an ea-1.
I forgot all about the monotribe. Well played sir.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Yeah the best bet is to save your money. You wouldn't have to save all that more and you could nab a used Korg EMX or ESX. The ESX is a sampler, not a synth, but you can do some really cool stuff with it, sampling/resampling/chopping are a breeze.

I've seen them go for 200.00 but eBay usually always has a few of both for 250.00.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
relic
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Yeah the best bet is to save your money. You wouldn't have to save all that more and you could nab a used Korg EMX or ESX. The ESX is a sampler, not a synth, but you can do some really cool stuff with it, sampling/resampling/chopping are a breeze.

I've seen them go for 200.00 but eBay usually always has a few of both for 250.00.

Not to high jack the thread...but I will...

@RFJ: Have you owned a ESX? Do you think it's worth the 100 or so to save for that over the ES1?

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Well I haven't owned the es1 but I got the esx last month for like 230.00 + shipping. It's the smartmedia version so the card was an extra 20.00. I got some new tubes for it also so all in all it was like 270.

I'm really happy with it. Like I said it's easy as pie to learn and you really do anything you want with it when you factor in the endless possibilities that resampling brings. Most of the YouTube videos don't do it justice. But you can get some really glitched out stuff with it if that's what you're after.

Make a sequence, add efx, resample, chop again and again. It's like going down a rabbit hole really and the work is fast.

I could be wrong but I don't think the es1 will remember knob settings when moving from pattern a to b. And the filter isn't per part where as it it is on the ESX.

For the money, in my opinion, you can't go wrong really, it's a poor mans machinedrum...kind of.

Oh and it can also sequence external devices if you have any devices that need sequencing.

Edit: Have a look on YouTube at Daniel Kerr's tutorials and you'll be sold.

Last edited by RFJ; 02-06-2012 at 08:27 PM..

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
relic (02-06-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Quote:
Well I haven't owned the es1 but I got the esx last month for like 230.00 + shipping. It's the smartmedia version so the card was an extra 20.00. I got some new tubes for it also so all in all it was like 270.

I'm really happy with it. Like I said it's easy as pie to learn and you really do anything you want with it when you factor in the endless possibilities that resampling brings. Most of the YouTube videos don't do it justice. But you can get some really glitched out stuff with it if that's what you're after.

Make a sequence, add efx, resample, chop again and again. It's like going down a rabbit hole really and the work is fast.

I could be wrong but I don't think the es1 will remember knob settings when moving from pattern a to b. And the filter isn't per part where as it it is on the ESX.

For the money, in my opinion, you can't go wrong really, it's a poor mans machinedrum...kind of.

Oh and it can also sequence external devices if you have any devices that need sequencing.

That's not bad at all. (refurbished, im assuming?) Im rather curious if the ms1 offers the same function as the esx.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:

Thanks man! I've been wanting a something outside the box to make beats/sequence with...I'm just getting bored placing hits on a grid (not that I'm a boss at it or anything...).

The differences in performance seem huge...I'll check those vids...might have to just tighten my belt and save up for the ESX...seems worth it...

I saw you talking about the ESX in another thread...you bought after market tubes for it?

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
jVs
IDMf Supporter
Scruffy City

Its not a tutorial, but still pretty damn sweet.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

@relic: Yeah I got some of these tubes here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Not from that site though. Got em off eBay for like 12 bucks for the pair.

I have no idea what the original tubes sounded like because I swapped them out before I plugged it in. All I know is it sounds great now.

If you go with the esx I think you'll be happy with your purchase.

------------------
Old 02-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #17
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Yea. Watched those vids you and von Skream posted. Convinced. Belt tightened.

------------------
Old 03-06-2012, 04:04 AM   #18
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

Buy a casio and circuit bend it. $20 analog synth.

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #19
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
I live in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhon Vhon Skream View Post
That's not bad at all. (refurbished, im assuming?)
Sorry JvS didn't see this earlier. Nope not refurb'd just used (mint) and smartmedia. The smartmedia ones run at about 1/2 the price of the SD ones. Same functionality though just a different storage method.

@relic: When you get yours dont be fooled if it comes with the stock sounds. Just dump them, use your own samples then turn the samples you already have into something unique. As with most samplers the ESX really let's you develop a sound pallet that is totally yours via it's feature set.

But I'm sure you know that already.

------------------
Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #20
relic
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Sorry JvS didn't see this earlier. Nope not refurb'd just used (mint) and smartmedia. The smartmedia ones run at about 1/2 the price of the SD ones. Same functionality though just a different storage method.

@relic: When you get yours dont be fooled if it comes with the stock sounds. Just dump them, use your own samples then turn the samples you already have into something unique. As with most samplers the ESX really let's you develop a sound pallet that is totally yours via it's feature set.

But I'm sure you know that already.
Absolutely, that's a tip worth repeating though. Will probably be working on building a sample library for it while I wait to buy : ) Also an excuse to rearrange my studio and get shit stowed.

How big is your smartmedia card? Do you find yourself need more space?

Advertisements

------------------