Official Jazz thread
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision
MC Status: 7653065
Icon14 Official Jazz thread

Hi guys,

This site needs more Jazz love. I've been listening to alot of recordings off the Blue Note label lately and I've just been floored by the quality and emotion they represent.

Here are a few of my favorite Blue Note recordings:

Code:
Content visible to registered users only.
Code:
Code:
Few cuts:

I've been such a huge fan of that Hard-Bop sound since my dad and I used to go to Jazz shows in the city together. Fond memories.

I'm also a big fan of Coltrane, Monk, Davis, Dolphy. Trying to get more into that club sound, really a big fan of the warm sound under Van Gelder.

What sort of Jazz do you all enjoy?

Advertisements

MC Perm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080164
Thanked 1,230 Times in 830 Posts
Re: Official Jazz thread

i háve quite a selection of classical jazz records, maiden voyage among them. i dig bill evans, miles, oscar peterson, coltrane etc...

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
MC Perm
MC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MCMC Perm is a savage MC
A Sound Decision

If you're looking for a good Jazz Guitarist, Wes Montgomery is absolutely amazing.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #4
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

Wes Montgomery; proving that effects don't make a musician.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
samurai_jack
Knob Twiddler
samurai_jack is a splendid one to beholdsamurai_jack is a splendid one to beholdsamurai_jack is a splendid one to beholdsamurai_jack is a splendid one to beholdsamurai_jack is a splendid one to beholdsamurai_jack is a splendid one to behold
home s.w.E.E.t home
MC Status: 650

I've never come across a drummer as amazing and exhilarating and purely fucking brilliant as Elvin Jones.
samurai_jack is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

Monk plays Ellington!? HOLY SHIT I WANT THAT!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #7
sticker14
MUDERATOR
sticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MCsticker14 is a savage MC
Cleveland
MC Status: 1197574

Code:
By FAR my favorite jazz record! Just don't listen to the '94 remaster in headphones.
sticker14 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #8
tuneboxii
Savage Mad Cunt
tuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MC
MC Status: 13085889

obviously Duke Ellington! he is probably one of my favourite composers/arrangers/performers ever.
this is just beautiful!

also Gil Evans, Django, Miles Davis etc

Coltrane - A Love Supreme is an awesome musical journey!

------------------
tuneboxii is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
tuneboxii
Savage Mad Cunt
tuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MCtuneboxii is a savage MC
MC Status: 13085889

.... and more recently, some chilltronica jazz from Skalpel. love it. this vid makes me lolol too

this is a better qual link: http://www.ninjatune.net/videos/video.php?type=qt&id=49

------------------
tuneboxii is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
Mom
Upstanding Citizen
Mom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MCMom is a savage MC
Place
MC Status: 9320087

------------------
Sometimes I make tunes.
Mom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
agreth
Master of the LFO
agreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MCagreth is a savage MC
Sydney
MC Status: 1465792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Permutated View Post
I've been such a huge fan of that Hard-Bop sound since my dad and I used to go to Jazz shows in the city together. Fond memories.
Niiiice. I love hard bop. Big Wes Montgomery fan here. Favourite album? "The Wes Montgomery Trio" - just Wes with organ and drums. Really soulful and organic.

Hank Mobley is another favourite. "No Room For Squares" and the two "Workout" albums are amazing. (SEE AVATAR)

Also, Blues & Roots by Mingus is an absolute classic. "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" is one of the best hard bop tracks I've ever heard. It's so dynamic and lively and bluesy.

Nice thread.
agreth is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
fackoholic
Digital Surfer
fackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud of
Registration Required
MC Status: 1183

Quote:
Hi guys,

This site needs more Jazz love. I've been listening to alot of recordings off the Blue Note label lately and I've just been floored by the quality and emotion they represent.
Blue Note is one of the most reputable Jazz records around. They only take the best on their label and have been realy ingenuative in recording techniques and such over the years. I'm got into jazz drumming a few years back and imo is the best kind of music around.

------------------
the pinnacle of success is when you no longer care about money, comments or recognition

2 albums free download

fackoholic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreth View Post
Niiiice. I love hard bop. Big Wes Montgomery fan here. Favourite album? "The Wes Montgomery Trio" - just Wes with organ and drums. Really soulful and organic.

Hank Mobley is another favourite. "No Room For Squares" and the two "Workout" albums are amazing. (SEE AVATAR)

Also, Blues & Roots by Mingus is an absolute classic. "Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting" is one of the best hard bop tracks I've ever heard. It's so dynamic and lively and bluesy.

Nice thread.
Great post!

Will definitely check out that Mobley album
Old 11-07-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

Anyone here into Art Tatum? Wonderful pianist.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #15
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

Freddie Hubbard was pretty phenomenal Trumpet player, here's a cut:

Old 11-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
bizarri
Regular Freak
bizarri is currently spamming hard
São Paulo
MC Status: 10

I've been away from the forum for months and when i come back what a pleasant surprise it is to find out this topic! I see people are into a lot of blue note artists, some hard bop names, that's great!

To tell you the truth i am a John Coltrane Fanatic (A Love Supreme, most beautiful album ever imo), and i love jazz from the late 60s (when people were experimenting with free jazz ideas). Pharaoh Sanders, Ornette Coleman, and specially Coltrane himself with albums like Ascension (with a lot o great musicians) and Interestellar space (Coltrane on tenor and Rashid Ali on drums).

Anyone into Sun Ra? He was a pioneer in the use of synthsizers, playing synths on jazz since the 50s btw! A very special character.
bizarri is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Yardcore Sessions @ Sub FM
Old 11-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
RSI
Analog Lurker
RSI is currently spamming hard
Edinburgh
MC Status: 36

Dizzie Gillespie trumpet skills, i love this tune but could only find the youtube from the muppet show hehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK8Cp3azW-I

------------------
RSI Radio on Leith FM every Friday at 11pm
98.8FM in the Edinburgh area or online at
http://www.leithfm.co.uk
RSI is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
MC Perm
A Sound Decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarri View Post
Anyone into Sun Ra? He was a pioneer in the use of synthsizers, playing synths on jazz since the 50s btw! A very special character.
Welcome back

Sun Ra is fucking awesome. Bit of an acquired taste but absolutely amazing regardless.

I can't get into his music that often because it's so abstract and follows so many different trains of thought, it's never found in the same place and always moving outward.

Still, an original voice (to say the least).
Old 11-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
fackoholic
Digital Surfer
fackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud offackoholic has much to be proud of
Registration Required
MC Status: 1183

If you guys are looking for some modern jazz....

the bad plus
terence blanchard
jason moran
ravi coltrane
the benevito-russo duo
robert glasper
charlie hunter
brian blade and the fellowship band
the dirty dozen brass band
oh and my personal modern favorite Espiranza Spalding-amazing double bass with great female vocals

------------------
the pinnacle of success is when you no longer care about money, comments or recognition

2 albums free download

fackoholic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #20
bizarri
Regular Freak
bizarri is currently spamming hard
São Paulo
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Welcome back

Sun Ra is fucking awesome. Bit of an acquired taste but absolutely amazing regardless.

I can't get into his music that often because it's so abstract and follows so many different trains of thought, it's never found in the same place and always moving outward.

Still, an original voice (to say the least).
He always moved outward because he already knew, long before many of us, that SPACE IS THE PLACE I really don't know how this guy came up with his incredible music, more than 200 records, most of them self produced and very spontaneous, for him and his Arkhestra there were no difference between life, universe and music itself. All that without the aid of psichedelics. Not to mention his very strange sci-fi movies.

Here is a very energetic performance from the Arkhestra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtHmqbnuZQs

That's what i'm talking about! Notice the synth on top of the piano...

Last edited by bizarri; 11-07-2009 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: Link to youtube were not showing up.

Advertisements

bizarri is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote