[80's, new wave, shoegaze, etc] Vlantis - The Holes in Our Eyes
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 21-08-2017, 02:03 AM   #1
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.
MC Status: 421869579
Thanked 4,832 Times in 2,793 Posts
[80's, new wave, shoegaze, etc] Vlantis - The Holes in Our Eyes

UPDATE: Both links have been updated with a new mix.

This is the first original song I've finished in over a year and a half. That's me on vocals, as well. It's part of an EP I'm working on. The little intro is just a placeholder, since the opening track will go right into the vocals on this, but it's a bit jarring without an intro.

I was gonna write a long thing, but I'll just let it speak for itself. I've been trying to pull this style off for a while, but was never confident enough.

Hope you like it!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Vlantis; 22-08-2017 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: fixed title

Advertisements

------------------
Pay-what-you-want albums at bandcamp.
Soundcloud
Facebook
Vlantis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [80's, new wave, shoegaze, etc] Vlantis - The Holes in Our Eyes.
Old 21-08-2017, 03:39 AM   #2
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2110
Re: [80's, new wave, shoegaze, etc] Vlantis - The Holes in Our Eyes

Sounds really good man. Like the arrangement. One thing though; I want to hear the vocals louder in the mix. Its hard to hear the lyrics. Sometimes you can hear the lyrics, when the extra synths and louder guitar part is active, I think some parts of the vocals get lost. It may or may not be an overall volume thing, It might be phase cancellation/masking. I am not sure. Anyways great job ,very catchy.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
Vlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MCVlantis is a savage MC
In the corn.

Absolutely, I was just coming back to update the post about the vocals being lost in the mix. I'll update it tomorrow or the day after and post it. Thanks so much for checking it out! Glad you liked it.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 21-08-2017, 06:41 AM   #4
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9960

Great composition, great structure and transitions. One thing I would recommend is a bit more reverb and or phaser on the guitars to make it a bit dreamier. The guitar is quite clean but the shoegaze tag you included lends me to think you should consider steering a bit more towards some fuzz on the track. Drunken it up a bit.

Vocals could use some occasional fx too, nothing drastic, maybe some chorus around the um chorus? A slight shadow delay on them here and there might be something to try as well. I find when I've worked with vox (not often), it can be good to throw a bit of delay at the end of a stanza or verse, can add a dramatic inflection on the lyrics.

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dada_davros View Post
Great composition, great structure and transitions. One thing I would recommend is a bit more reverb and or phaser on the guitars to make it a bit dreamier. The guitar is quite clean but the shoegaze tag you included lends me to think you should consider steering a bit more towards some fuzz on the track. Drunken it up a bit.

Vocals could use some occasional fx too, nothing drastic, maybe some chorus around the um chorus? A slight shadow delay on them here and there might be something to try as well. I find when I've worked with vox (not often), it can be good to throw a bit of delay at the end of a stanza or verse, can add a dramatic inflection on the lyrics.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping some mixing choices I've made will make more sense in the context of the full EP. I've toned down the cleaner guitars slightly in the mix, so hopefully they blend a bit more.

I'm also waiting on seeing how the rest of the songs go before I start doing any possible extra effects with the vocals, so we shall see!

Thanks so much for the listen and feedback!

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 22-08-2017, 04:52 PM   #6
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

I've updated the mix a third time. This is the "final" one for now, but there are a few more tweaks I'd like to make before it's properly released.

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 22-08-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
Adelina
Microknight
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

It turned out very cool. Madly soothes. And your voice? I do not understand. Beautiful voice.
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #8
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelina View Post
It turned out very cool. Madly soothes. And your voice? I do not understand. Beautiful voice.
Thanks for taking the time to listen! As for the voice, you might be confused because people were talking about an older mix with the vocals buried in spots, but the version you heard was a newer one.

Thanks again! God, somebody said my voice was beautiful.......never thought I'd see the day!

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 23-08-2017, 04:33 PM   #9
Adelina
Microknight
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlantis View Post
Thanks for taking the time to listen! As for the voice, you might be confused because people were talking about an older mix with the vocals buried in spots, but the version you heard was a newer one.

Thanks again! God, somebody said my voice was beautiful.......never thought I'd see the day!
Oh it is so cute! I`m glad because I make you cheerful
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
einmeier
Minor Glitch
einmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant futureeinmeier has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1709

Wow! That's a really beautiful song and reminds me to the songs i was listening to when i was younger and just last week i was talking with a friend about how good 'The Cure' - for example - have been. So, this song really is sort of a flashback!

Your voice is powerful on the one hand, on the other hand it's full of emotions and together with the awesome arrangement of the song it's really a pleasure listening to it. Just ONE lil' thing is slightly 'annoying' from my point of view, it's that the volume of the song changes, i.e. it does get louder at some parts, so when listening to it again and again i have to make it louder at the beginning and later on i have to lower the volume. I think, well, if the song would not change its volume the bridge could even feel more powerful. But that's just a matter of taste i'll guess.

Even today i'm not into this kinda guitarbased new wave/shoegaze anymore, this is kind of a song i really do enjoy.

I'd just imagine how it would sound if you would have added some backing vocals...

Curious about your upcoming EP and good luck with the polish in case you still want to tweak something over here and over there....
einmeier is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 12:21 AM   #11
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einmeier View Post
Wow! That's a really beautiful song and reminds me to the songs i was listening to when i was younger and just last week i was talking with a friend about how good 'The Cure' - for example - have been. So, this song really is sort of a flashback!
Thanks so much for giving it a listen and the kind words! Yeah, I was always disappointed that I sounded like the dude from The Cure (first song I ever made on Ableton was a Cure-ish song, but I lacked both the confidence and skill to make it work), but now all that 80's stuff is cool again, so it's all good!

Quote:
Just ONE lil' thing is slightly 'annoying' from my point of view, it's that the volume of the song changes, i.e. it does get louder at some parts, so when listening to it again and again i have to make it louder at the beginning and later on i have to lower the volume. I think, well, if the song would not change its volume the bridge could even feel more powerful. But that's just a matter of taste i'll guess.
No worries, thanks for the critique! I fully admit that the very beginning is way softer, and I'll be fixing that if I release the song as a single (got another one that won't fit on the proper release, so I thought about doing a two song thing, since it's been so long since I released anything), otherwise that beginning won't be in the song on the final released version.

BUT, are there other parts you noticed being too loud or quiet? I thought the levels were pretty good and haven't heard anything from anybody else, so I wanted to check and see if you were just talking about the beginning. Otherwise let me know and I'll check out the mix and see if anything's screwy.

Quote:
Even today i'm not into this kinda guitarbased new wave/shoegaze anymore, this is kind of a song i really do enjoy.

I'd just imagine how it would sound if you would have added some backing vocals...

Curious about your upcoming EP and good luck with the polish in case you still want to tweak something over here and over there....
It's not really my thing either. I don't really make music in genres that I like. Mostly half remembered influences from earlier days mixed with a little other stuff here and there.

I'm not gonna go too overboard with backing vocals, as I used to do that to cover up my vocal weaknesses and I think these can stand on their own, but I'll be sprinkling them in here and there. Maybe I'll include more on a later release if this goes well.

Thanks again!

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 04-09-2017, 04:40 AM   #12
Aster and Ivy
Regular Freak
Aster and Ivy is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

The song itself seems really good, but I would suggest maybe increasing the volume of the vocals slightly so it doesn't get so lost in the mix. The vocals sit well, I just think a slight volume adjustment might be good. Also at around 1:28 there was a pretty jarring sound. The solo was pretty sweet though, good addition. I really enjoy it! The monotone singing fits it pretty well actually. Good stuff, take care!
Aster and Ivy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 05:52 PM   #13
Vlantis
IDMf Artist
In the corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aster and Ivy View Post
The song itself seems really good, but I would suggest maybe increasing the volume of the vocals slightly so it doesn't get so lost in the mix. The vocals sit well, I just think a slight volume adjustment might be good. Also at around 1:28 there was a pretty jarring sound. The solo was pretty sweet though, good addition. I really enjoy it! The monotone singing fits it pretty well actually. Good stuff, take care!
Thanks for the tip about the 1:28 sound. It does sound too loud on certain systems so I'll tweak it. I'm sure I'll be tweaking the vocals a bit before the final release.

Thanks again! Take it easy!

------------------
Soundcloud
Facebook
Old 19-09-2017, 08:27 PM   #14
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42380049
Thanked 4,921 Times in 3,215 Posts

Hello Vlant, long time no thing.

Good track. At the intro I thought it was going to be a bit bland but then you started channeling Nick Cave and all was well again. I liked the dynamics and the build-up, that was well done.

Personally would have preferred rougher guitar in the intro but I understand the place for contrast and allows more for the build-up that follows. So not a crit, just me moaning I want it my way

The vocals do get a little lost under the guitar here and there, mostly in the guitar's higher pitched parts.

Good to see you posting music again man

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #15
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
please help
MC Status: 329122950
Thanked 1,649 Times in 1,139 Posts

nice to see you posting tracks again mantis,(sorry old habits)great cinematic stuff,but most of all your vocals are amazing!total departure from your old stuff.me really likes the deeper more robust and mature vocals!! this has much more than i thought you could do.you have surpassed yourself big time my friend.beautiful tune just...i got nuthin.outstanding man.

Advertisements

Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote