How To Use Reaper Like Ableton?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 20-08-2017, 08:04 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2110
How To Use Reaper Like Ableton?

I want to experiment with recording midi in the more loopy DJ way where I make my sections in one phase, then I string them together using an external midi controller and create the end product mashing it all together. So should I mixdown to audio file first then dice it up? Could this be accomplished without having to record the entire song in one go? Is there a way to do it while everything is still vst/midi and have the song recreate its loopy dj version along side the original? If you know of any tips or tuts, please let me know.

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34560
Re: How To Use Reaper Like Ableton?

You might be better off with Live intro / lite for this one. Through rendering a few times, you could achieve this much easier even with the constraints of Live lite, triggers and all. You would just have to have them strung up so as to not use too many audio tracks (I think they limit you to like 5-10, which is easier to work around than you'd think).

I'm kind of a newb to reaper, but are you saying you want to essentially ignore the arrangement view and trigger clips as if you're in session view via a MIDI controller? I could see that being tough when arrangement view is pretty much your only option.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Bluesh1ft (20-08-2017)
Old 20-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #3
Bluesh1ft
Knob Twiddler
Bluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond reputeBluesh1ft has a reputation beyond repute
In another world, usually
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
You might be better off with Live intro / lite for this one. Through rendering a few times, you could achieve this much easier even with the constraints of Live lite, triggers and all. You would just have to have them strung up so as to not use too many audio tracks (I think they limit you to like 5-10, which is easier to work around than you'd think).

I'm kind of a newb to reaper, but are you saying you want to essentially ignore the arrangement view and trigger clips as if you're in session view via a MIDI controller? I could see that being tough when arrangement view is pretty much your only option.
That that's pretty much what I'd like to do. Yeah maybe I should just use Ableton lite, though I am not very familiar with it. I mean that's one way I was thinking of doing it, thats not to say there would be a better way. I want to be able to get creative with a song that I have all the parts created, cutting out kicks, adding transition effects and fills, you know stuff you see people doing on those square pad and knob midi controllers.

So far I've only done it the traditional arrangement kind of way. A mish mash of penciling midi and doing live takes for individual instruments.
Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532127
Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,208 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote