Question about using Facebook as an artist
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enoughBlack-Antlers will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110
Question about using Facebook as an artist

So, believe it or not I am fairly new to social media, especially Facebook as I basically deleted my account in highshcool over a decade ago. Anyways I want to create an page for my music and I just had a few questions I was hoping some of you could help me with....

1. Do I create a personal Facebook first and then some sort of "artist page" or just one page?

2. When I want to like ad comment on peoples things and join groups, do I do so as the artist name or my personal name? If I can only do it as my personal name should I just create the personal page with the artists name as well since I have no intention of using it as people normally do?

Thanks very much, take care!

Advertisements

Black-Antlers is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:11 PM   #2
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon will become famous soon enoughFlexagon will become famous soon enough
Re: Question about using Facebook as an artist

I'm pretty sure the only way to have a FB artist page is to have a personal FB profile first.

AFAIK Facebook rules state that only your real name should be used for a personal profile (not a stage or artist name) though you see people on FB all the time that haven't followed this 'rule'

As for your other question, in general you can't comment on other people's personal profiles or in groups as a page (unless your page has been tagged in a post for some reason) You can however comment on other pages and events. When you DO have the option to comment as a page a drop-down menu appears next to the text entry box that allows you to select whether it's a personal or "page" comment/ like.

Basically FB pages are designed to push information out about that page, rather than do the day to day interaction stuff that users do with personal profiles. Also bear in mind you'll have to gain a lot of followers or make really good posts to get past 'the algorithm'. This massively restricts who will actually see your posts! Google that for more info............................
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Flexagon
Black-Antlers (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #3
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch
Black-Antlers will become famous soon enoughBlack-Antlers will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexagon View Post
I'm pretty sure the only way to have a FB artist page is to have a personal FB profile first.

AFAIK Facebook rules state that only your real name should be used for a personal profile (not a stage or artist name) though you see people on FB all the time that haven't followed this 'rule'

As for your other question, in general you can't comment on other people's personal profiles or in groups as a page (unless your page has been tagged in a post for some reason) You can however comment on other pages and events. When you DO have the option to comment as a page a drop-down menu appears next to the text entry box that allows you to select whether it's a personal or "page" comment/ like.

Basically FB pages are designed to push information out about that page, rather than do the day to day interaction stuff that users do with personal profiles. Also bear in mind you'll have to gain a lot of followers or make really good posts to get past 'the algorithm'. This massively restricts who will actually see your posts! Google that for more info............................
Thanks so much. Just to clear this up, to join a group and interact, that would be done as my personal profile (with my "real" name) However on pages I can comment as my artist page name? When is it that I get the option to choose?

If I comment on another artists profile, does that count as a page where I can comment as my artist name?

Sorry for sounding like such a newbie to social media, I kinda am!
Old 10-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #4
Flexagon
Regular Freak
Flexagon will become famous soon enoughFlexagon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Antlers View Post
Thanks so much. Just to clear this up, to join a group and interact, that would be done as my personal profile (with my "real" name) However on pages I can comment as my artist page name?
Correct

Quote:
When is it that I get the option to choose?
It's obvious when you have the option. I either run or am an Admin for half a dozen pages and I just get a little pop-up menu of who I want to post as. I don't have enough posts on IDM to upload a screenshot of this however.

Quote:
If I comment on another artists profile, does that count as a page where I can comment as my artist name?
Correct, pages can comment on pages!

Quote:
Sorry for sounding like such a newbie to social media, I kinda am!
No worries

All the above is my understanding of how things are on FB at the moment and for my account based in the UK.............Different parts of the world have different features available sometimes and they change the available features often too!

For interaction bear in mind that a page admin can turn different ways of publicly posting on their page and off as well.................. so you won't necessarily be able to leave a comment to your favourite artist, but on most pages you will.

When you have your own account you'll see the options for yourself
Flexagon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Flexagon
Black-Antlers (10-08-2017)
Old 10-08-2017, 07:44 PM   #5
Black-Antlers
Minor Glitch

Thanks so much. I guess my main concern is that I don't really want a personal Facebook page . So should I been use my real name or do anything with it?
Old 10-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
Schnork
Deep Underground
Schnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MCSchnork is a savage MC
MC Status: 12410

The problem with not using your real name is, that you canīt prove your identity to facebook. Sometimes, my wifes account gets closed and she has to send them her ID in order to get her account back.
Something with the browsergames she plays and payment....
For my account I used a nickname for years, havenīt had any problems so far, but I canīt change the name anymore - you get only three attempts - so I might lose my account there...but actually I havenīt used it for two or three years so...^^

Advertisements

------------------
Electron Organ
Schnork is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Schnork
Black-Antlers (11-08-2017)