Melodyne?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 19-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #1
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 9410
Melodyne?

So I did a quick search through the forum regarding this software but wanted to ask people what they think of this software not for auto tuning but as a creative tool. I watched some videos on it and like most things the videos seem geared to things that don't really interest me. However it seems like the potential is limitless .

Can I get the polyphonic pitch editing without going for the top level version? Anyone use this? Is it utterly painful to interact with?

many thanks!

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42387649
Thanked 5,073 Times in 3,308 Posts
Re: Melodyne?

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
Can I get the polyphonic pitch editing without going for the top level version?
Nope, well not quite. You need one of the high end versions and they are rather expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
Anyone use this? Is it utterly painful to interact with?
I use it a lot for things other than pitch shifting e.g. its great for editing out breathing in vocals and any noise before and after a sound that you may want to isolate.

The interface is pretty friendly.

The version that integrates with Sonar is prone to being buggy, but in fairness some of the issues come from dodgy integration on the Sonar side.

The installation of the package is also not without its quiet bugs. For example, you may think you're getting to choose where it installs but it still dumps a whole load of stuff in the default directories no matter what you choose during installation. Then later if you try to point your DAW at only the other directories you've chosen, the VST3/ARA version of the plugin mysteriously stops working.

Overall its good. But not without some facepalm-inducing issues that the devs have never addressed. I've been using it quite a long time now and have workarounds for most issues I've encountered.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
envelope3 (19-07-2017)
Old 19-07-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535477
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,242 Posts

I use the lite version for pitch correction and artificial harmonies, would love the polyphonic version but I don't want to spend the $

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 02:57 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942931
Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,587 Posts

I had a tough time getting used to it, only used the demo. The interface, for me, is odd and not intuitive but so many people swear by it so I must be off base on that.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #5
Khasai
Regular Freak
Khasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to beholdKhasai is a splendid one to behold
Daly City
MC Status: 710

I used it a bit through the trial included with Studio One. I adjusted the notes of some vocal samples and guitar parts. It was straightforward enough for those purposes but having not used it a whole lot I can't say how intuitive the rest of it is.

I guess with Studio One I find the layout and interface made me want to figure out what everything did and how to use it, whereas when I opened up Melodyne I just sort of took care of what I needed to and didn't remember much else about it, so it's probably not where it could be in terms of being intuitive.

Advertisements

Khasai is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote