[EBM/Industrial/Techno] Kutkh Jackdaw - Sweat & Thunder
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 13-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster
Kutkh_Jackdaw has a spectacular aura aboutKutkh_Jackdaw has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
[EBM/Industrial/Techno] Kutkh Jackdaw - Sweat & Thunder

So I bought my first vintage synth and drum machine a while back, and have finally finished my first track using them. Been teaching myself as I went along, so obviously I'm still new to programming and using vintage hardware. But anyway, I was massively influenced by 80s EBM and industrial, as well as techno and punk.

Advertisements

------------------
Kutkh_Jackdaw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kutkh_Jackdaw
Lotus_Jewel (28-07-2017)
Rate this track - [EBM/Industrial/Techno] Kutkh Jackdaw - Sweat & Thunder.
Old 16-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 180710
Thanked 3,614 Times in 2,695 Posts
Re: [EBM/Industrial/Techno] Kutkh Jackdaw - Sweat & Thunder

Well, that got my feet tapping.

A couple of things about it I personally think need looking at, which are..

a) This is basically a track in 2 parts. The first part (the first 4 minutes) is just too long..you could cut 3 minutes out of that an not loose anything and still make the track better for it.

b) The vocals in the first half need looking at. I know the voice is saying a web address, but I just can't make it out, as the audio's not too clear..sounds like a DJ on some local pirate radio station.

c) The vocals in the second half tend to repeat a little too much..you might want to think about using them a little less.

d) The various elements in the background need to come up a little, as they're lost in the mix a bit as things currently stand.

e) As much as I love that bass and drum riff, it needs to be broken up a little more..there's no real break to speak of until around the 4 minute mark, which is too long to be honest. Like I said in the last point...turn those elements in the background up a little more and look at the spacing of the same.

OK..all that said, I still love this track..there's a certain kind of raw, unpretentious energy to it that I love. I really hope you take on board what I've suggested here and apply the same to this track..would love to hear it if and when you do.

Thanks for sharing.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 11:50 AM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25810

hey man
as a first hardware track, its pretty good, and the ideas are good regardless of hardware or not.
but i think it needs polishing. it feels like Godflesh minus the guitars. but its a bit too long and relentless.
like @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. said, shorten it, and work on variations and eqing your sounds to fit them together a bit better.

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
Daggit
Master of the LFO
Daggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond reputeDaggit has a reputation beyond repute
"Let beauty loose!" --Nitzer Ebb
MC Status: 8560

I'd say, sit on it a couple more weeks and do some content edits to remove the redundant repeats and do some stutter edits too. After that, do some more overdubs to keep it interesting with variety, and then edit it again after that.

But I do like the choice of sounds; it has a pro feel to it already, even in this simple state. Good job. Keep working on it. Peace.
Daggit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Vilius J
Analog Lurker
Vilius J is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

This reminds me like some sort of game soundtrack don't know why. Funny track I like it
Vilius J is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 07:33 PM   #6
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster
Kutkh_Jackdaw has a spectacular aura aboutKutkh_Jackdaw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Well, that got my feet tapping.

A couple of things about it I personally think need looking at, which are..

a) This is basically a track in 2 parts. The first part (the first 4 minutes) is just too long..you could cut 3 minutes out of that an not loose anything and still make the track better for it.

b) The vocals in the first half need looking at. I know the voice is saying a web address, but I just can't make it out, as the audio's not too clear..sounds like a DJ on some local pirate radio station.

c) The vocals in the second half tend to repeat a little too much..you might want to think about using them a little less.

d) The various elements in the background need to come up a little, as they're lost in the mix a bit as things currently stand.

e) As much as I love that bass and drum riff, it needs to be broken up a little more..there's no real break to speak of until around the 4 minute mark, which is too long to be honest. Like I said in the last point...turn those elements in the background up a little more and look at the spacing of the same.

OK..all that said, I still love this track..there's a certain kind of raw, unpretentious energy to it that I love. I really hope you take on board what I've suggested here and apply the same to this track..would love to hear it if and when you do.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! I definitely have a bit of a recurring issue in regards to making my tracks rather long haha.

Haha the voice saying the web address is a watermark, not part of the track! I don't know why so many people on this site get confused by those! It's just saying my soundcloud web page. They are used a lot by people I know to stop others from ripping your tracks from soundcloud.

I want to really improve my mix. I can see what you're saying about bringing some of the sounds up in the mix at points. How would you recommend doing this? Just using automation to increase the volume levels at points where it is needed? I'm not really sure if it's the volume that would help or better EQing. How would you recommend improving the EQing. I have read in various places never to increase frequencies, and only to lower, so how would you go about making certain sounds really stand out in the mix, particularly hits and sound effects as opposed to main elements.

Last edited by Kutkh_Jackdaw; 19-07-2017 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: Additional text added

------------------
Old 19-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
hey man
as a first hardware track, its pretty good, and the ideas are good regardless of hardware or not.
but i think it needs polishing. it feels like Godflesh minus the guitars. but its a bit too long and relentless.
like @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. said, shorten it, and work on variations and eqing your sounds to fit them together a bit better.
Any tips on EQing would be great. Thank you for the feedback!

------------------
Old 19-07-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggit View Post
I'd say, sit on it a couple more weeks and do some content edits to remove the redundant repeats and do some stutter edits too. After that, do some more overdubs to keep it interesting with variety, and then edit it again after that.

But I do like the choice of sounds; it has a pro feel to it already, even in this simple state. Good job. Keep working on it. Peace.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

------------------
Old 19-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilius J View Post
This reminds me like some sort of game soundtrack don't know why. Funny track I like it
A few people have mentioned it reminds them of a film or game soundtrack actually! Thanks

------------------
Old 19-07-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutkh_Jackdaw View Post
Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it! I definitely have a bit of a recurring issue in regards to making my tracks rather long haha.

Haha the voice saying the web address is a watermark, not part of the track! I don't know why so many people on this site get confused by those! It's just saying my soundcloud web page. They are used a lot by people I know to stop others from ripping your tracks from soundcloud.

I want to really improve my mix. I can see what you're saying about bringing some of the sounds up in the mix at points. How would you recommend doing this? Just using automation to increase the volume levels at points where it is needed? I'm not really sure if it's the volume that would help or better EQing. How would you recommend improving the EQing. I have read in various places never to increase frequencies, and only to lower, so how would you go about making certain sounds really stand out in the mix, particularly hits and sound effects as opposed to main elements.

It's getting late here and I've been partying most of the day (my birthday)..so I'm not in any sort of shape to start writing feedback messages right now.

Basically, give me a day or two and I'll send you a PM about this..OK?

------------------
Old 24-07-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
It's getting late here and I've been partying most of the day (my birthday)..so I'm not in any sort of shape to start writing feedback messages right now.

Basically, give me a day or two and I'll send you a PM about this..OK?
No problem, thanks for the PM! Oh and belated happy birthday, hope it was a good one

------------------
Old 24-07-2017, 07:20 PM   #12
A.M

Quote:
No problem, thanks for the PM! Oh and belated happy birthday, hope it was a good one

Hey..cheers..appreciate that!

Regarding the PM..feel free to get back to me about any of it, whenever..if ever..you're ready.

------------------
Old 26-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #13
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Hey..cheers..appreciate that!

Regarding the PM..feel free to get back to me about any of it, whenever..if ever..you're ready.
Thanks, I will do!

------------------
Old 26-07-2017, 05:02 PM   #14
Adelina
Radial Developer
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

It`s quite technically done. Your preferences are clearly visible, and also it is clear that they are good for you!
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelina View Post
It`s quite technically done. Your preferences are clearly visible, and also it is clear that they are good for you!
I'm not going to say I understand what this means, but I think it's good, so thank you!

------------------
Old 27-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #16
nervewar
Regular Freak
nervewar is just really nicenervewar is just really nicenervewar is just really nicenervewar is just really nice
Kansas City, MO
MC Status: 360

Excellent track, can't wait to hear more. I do agree that could benefit from a little bit of tightening up in length (though not too much, the repetitiveness is part of what makes it so raw and good). Great work!
nervewar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 02:04 AM   #17
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervewar View Post
Excellent track, can't wait to hear more. I do agree that could benefit from a little bit of tightening up in length (though not too much, the repetitiveness is part of what makes it so raw and good). Great work!
Thanks! I listened to your music on Soundcloud too, really great stuff, sounds tight and professional. Do you have any opinions on anything that could be improved on my track, in terms of the mixdown?

------------------
Old 28-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #18
Adelina
Radial Developer
Adelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of lightAdelina is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
I'm not going to say I understand what this means, but I think it's good, so thank you!
Sorry, English is not my nature language) I wanted to say that your track is made on a steep level) And just, I liked it.
Adelina is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2017, 10:51 AM   #19
Kutkh_Jackdaw
Granular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelina View Post
Sorry, English is not my nature language) I wanted to say that your track is made on a steep level) And just, I liked it.
No problem Adelina, I'm glad you liked it and thanks for leaving a comment

------------------
Old 28-07-2017, 07:27 PM   #20
nervewar
Regular Freak
nervewar is just really nicenervewar is just really nicenervewar is just really nicenervewar is just really nice
Kansas City, MO
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Thanks! I listened to your music on Soundcloud too, really great stuff, sounds tight and professional. Do you have any opinions on anything that could be improved on my track, in terms of the mixdown?
The way it's mixed sounds very much like the old school sound you're going for, so if I were you I wouldn't change too much of it. If you do want to refine it though, I'd agree with A.M that some of the atmospheric/background elements could be made a little more prominent. It doesn't have to be a constant level adjustment across the board, but maybe in a few areas you could raise them up to add interest, then lower them back down.

And thanks for the kind words about my tunes

Advertisements

nervewar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote