PSA: Stereo Does NOT Equal Out of Phase!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Tutorials Section Found or written an interesting tutorial recently? Share it here.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
Urple.Eeple
Microknight
Urple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 212646
PSA: Stereo Does NOT Equal Out of Phase!

Hey guys, made a quick video debunking the common myth that you have to always mono your lowend. If you want more in-depth on this topic check out the stereo lowend video that's linked at the end of this :-)

Advertisements

------------------
Urple.Eeple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Urple.Eeple
Taaz (10-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #2
thanatos
Master of the LFO
thanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MCthanatos is a savage MC
MC Status: 733436
Re: PSA: Stereo Does NOT Equal Out of Phase!

i have read that mono lowend was for wax cause stereo lowend made the vinyl jump

------------------
thanatos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 12:27 AM   #3
Urple.Eeple
Microknight
Urple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MCUrple.Eeple is a savage MC
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanatos View Post
i have read that mono lowend was for wax cause stereo lowend made the vinyl jump
This is definitely true, but if you are having your music cut to vinyl then the cutting clerk will use an elliptical filter to remove stereo content from your lowend anyways. It's not something you would do yourself

------------------
Old 06-02-2017, 06:06 AM   #4
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

Interesting but what's the ultimate point of this video? You didn't explain what are the benefits or cool things you can do with stereo bass.

Also, if lower frequencies are just gonna be converted to mono, wouldn't it be better if you got it right from the start, rather than getting other people to get it right for you?

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:37 AM   #5
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529530
Thanked 6,772 Times in 4,825 Posts

Not that I don't sometimes have stereo elements to my bass sounds on a parallel bus, but I prefer the sound of forced mono low end. Personally I think it has more energy/thumbs nicer. Not saying your wrong, just bored and stating my opinion : )
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:42 AM   #6
Urple.Eeple
Microknight
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukami Music View Post
Interesting but what's the ultimate point of this video? You didn't explain what are the benefits or cool things you can do with stereo bass.

Also, if lower frequencies are just gonna be converted to mono, wouldn't it be better if you got it right from the start, rather than getting other people to get it right for you?
This is actually somewhat of a short follow-up video to my longer "stereo lowend" tutorial video, which is linked at the end of this :-)

That one goes into quite a bit more depth

Here's a link in case you don't feel like hunting for it:

To answer your question of why not get it right yourself? Well, there is a benefit to stereo information in the lowend, in that it does tend to sound more natural and provide a sense of size to objects. This is especially true when we are talking about reverb spaces which often can contain some lowend content. I've certainly mastered songs where the artist had short bursts of lowend reverb as a creative effect that sounded huge and really added a ton of life to the song.

It all depends on what you're going for, but my philosophy is mix for stereo and check in mono. If your lowend content is all strongly in phase, and checking in mono you find that it sounds great, then there's no reason to sum your lows to mono. If anything keeping some stereo content down there will be beneficial to those who are listening on stereo setups, which are almost all setups nowadays. Headphones, audiophile listening environments (full range speaker stacks) and most club systems.

It's actually not true that clubs use mono subs. Some do, but it's very rare and it's actually quite hard to spec a system correctly that sums to mono. Stereo subs are much more common.

But again, this was a short follow-up video. I wasn't implying that you should pan your kicks or bass, it is more an exercise to prove a simple concept, and the benefit applies more to reverb spaces than anything else (as I talk about in my longer video)

Last edited by Urple.Eeple; 06-02-2017 at 06:52 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Thanks to Urple.Eeple
Taaz (10-02-2017)