Linux: effects, instruments, tutorials, tech, etc. (LV2/LADSPA/DSSI)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6310
Linux: effects, instruments, tutorials, tech, etc. (LV2/LADSPA/DSSI)

I created this thread because although there I just discovered a new free effect for Linux (have not tried it out yet). There are a couple of very common ones that are always mentioned, but then there are a many dispersed ones.

Despite there being a number of Linux threads on IDMf (they are listed below to be complete), they drift between therapy, venting, tech support, praise, and philsophy of Linux. It seemed good to have a dedicated thread where concrete info can be collected on tutorials, effects, virtual instruments, etc. for all my Linux lovers out there - together we will show the world that Linux is a music producers paradise!

So I just found this, it costs money for OSX and PC, but is free for Linux! Strange multi-effect.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I will also point to this trial software for a slightly odd sequencer, since it also does not usually turn up in searches for Linux music software:

Here are the former Linux threads:

Advertisements

TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TL072
Nystagmus (10-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 24960
Re: Linux: effects, instruments, tutorials, tech, etc. (LV2/LADSPA/DSSI)

Bookmarked.

I'm planning on going 100% Linux after my exams, right now I'm still running a dual-boot with Windows solely for Ableton Live which is becoming quite a drag.

Bitwig is very promising and I feel I have the experience now to set up my own optimised system. I'm going for Arch Linux, with the real-time kernel and Awesome window manager for a very lightweight and stable system. It will be some work to get it up and running but I think it's worth it.
I would like to get a setup running wherein I can combine Bitwig with SuperCollider (through Jack) and Processing (for visuals). You'll probably hear more from me in the future

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
Nystagmus (15-06-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 08:29 PM   #3
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyul View Post
Bitwig is very promising and I feel I have the experience now to set up my own optimised system. I'm going for Arch Linux, with the real-time kernel and Awesome window manager for a very lightweight and stable system.
I keep forgetting that Bitwig is Linux compatible. Must investigate further, it has been a busy year since it was released so very little to go further.

Incidentally, I had heard that the TAL plugins were available as Linux VSTs, but could not find them, many of them are here:

You can use these in Renoise, Ardour I think, and LMMS if memory serves.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:07 AM   #4
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL072 View Post
I keep forgetting that Bitwig is Linux compatible. Must investigate further, it has been a busy year since it was released so very little to go further.
I also haven't fully tried it out yet. But what I've seen of it is pretty decent and there is still a lot of improvement in progress. The developers apparently left Ableton because there were a lot of things they couldn't change (because the code made it hard/impossible) and Bitwig is kind of their improved version built from scratch.
We will have to see how that goes of course but just the fact that they fully support Linux is awesome. I can live with some bugs and inconveniences if I know people are working on it, they also seem very open to suggestions and the community in general.

Quote:
Incidentally, I had heard that the TAL plugins were available as Linux VSTs, but could not find them, many of them are here:

Wauw, that's cool, didn't know they did that. I read VST's are still a major problem for Linux as few companies support it.

Quote:
You can use these in Renoise, Ardour I think, and LMMS if memory serves.
Yeah, I know there are some open-source DAWs, haven't tried out any of them so far though. I guess it's mostly a prejudice but for audio stuff (especially if I would be playing live) I prefer to trust a serious company instead of a community. Community driven software is great for general stuff, stuff with lots of users. But I don't trust it with these more specific and heavier software.
I also like the Ableton-type DAW, with a session view and clips. Bitwig seems to have copied that and added some new ways to make clips of clips.

------------------
Old 15-06-2014, 04:40 PM   #5
TL072
Master of the LFO

I just discovered that there is a version of Jeskola Buzz for Linux:

Taking it for a quick test drive. Ubuntu people (older version but)

sudo apt-get install buzztard
Old 30-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #6
houserecords
Minor Glitch
houserecords will become famous soon enoughhouserecords will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Wow aweomse! Cheers
houserecords is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
Nyul

U-he releases Podolski native for Linux x64, for free.

It's nice to see how after a major commercial DAW appeared on Linux (Bitwig), the vst-producers may/will follow.

------------------
Thanks to Nyul
TL072 (11-09-2014)
Old 10-09-2014, 12:16 AM   #8
badmotor
Savage Mad Cunt
badmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MCbadmotor is a savage MC
MC Status: 31260

Cool thread!
badmotor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:31 PM   #9
KrisM
Ghostly
KrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond reputeKrisM has a reputation beyond repute
TX
MC Status: 7964

I'll just leave this here...

TL;DW (watch) - groovebox Pd patch, run on what looks like an Ubuntu machine.

------------------
Meh.
KrisM is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 08:40 PM   #10
TL072
Master of the LFO

I cannot completely make sense of how that sequencer works, but in any case, it is pretty amazing.

This site has a great list of tutorials, but also a lot of linux plugins and software that I have not heard of:

I might post some of them in coming weeks.

Edit (big list of plugins):

Last edited by TL072; 14-09-2014 at 08:51 PM..
Old 16-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #11
TL072
Master of the LFO

Here is a LADSPA / LV2 version of the Molot compressor:

Going to try install this tonight.
Old 15-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #12
TL072
Master of the LFO

Some kind of genetic algorithmic synth

You seems to programme in some kind of Lisp variant, though it seems based upon Python.
Old 25-01-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
TL072
Master of the LFO

u-he plugins are in Beta for linux!
Old 01-02-2015, 10:33 PM   #14
TL072
Master of the LFO

Here is some new DAW I have never heard of before. Not sure I have the specs on this computer:

Recently updated apparently.

Old 20-02-2015, 06:58 PM   #15
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18447

If you use jack and as a linux audio user you will use jack, you should consider testing or using these tools:

Cadence -> jack manager
Claudia -> reaktor alike routing for all applications that are able to use jack. (All of them, really!)
Carla -> rack and patchbay for all your plugs (a tiny bit like reason or audiomulch)

The magic that makes this happen is called ladish, which is a session manager on top of jack.

Do not forget to visit this page if you use this software pack and cannot exist without it anymore.

------------------
(シ)// Reject all ambition to center yourself and find intuition. >> Homepage
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 07:52 PM   #16
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 171860
Thanked 3,437 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Here is some new DAW I have never heard of before. Not sure I have the specs on this computer:

Recently updated apparently.

Don't know how true this is, but I thought I'd mention it anyway..it's been said that Musikernel DAW is a "closed box", meaning you have to use the plugins that come with it.

Like I said, I don't know how true this is, as I've yet to test it myself, but going by what I've read on other forums, it seems the guy behind it made it that way, with a view to offering a "one tool does all" kind of thing.

If anyone does try it out, I'd be interested in hearding from you how true this is..or not.

Also, you guys might be interested in trying this out, too..dssi-vst ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) - ..it's a "wrapper" that supposed to let you run Windows VSTi plugins on Linux using WINE.

A quick google turned up the following links for those interested - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 PM   #17
TL072
Master of the LFO

This page lists many linux soft-synths + has pictures + sound samples + brief description

It also has a good list of vsts that can be used on Linux through the use of the compatibility layers mentioned by A.M previously.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #18
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18447

Quote:
Extremly important! Was a game changer for me.

Please, if you buy and use them, tell them in the thread on kvr! They need to see that people are buying or using their linux plugs. They have no other statistics.
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Psychotronic
Nystagmus (03-03-2016)
Old 28-02-2016, 07:50 PM   #19
TL072
Master of the LFO

Some of the plugins listed on this page are duplicates of what I think are above.

However, what is interesting is that this distribution seems to have got access to the source of otherwise windows only plugins and compiled them for Linux. So there are some interesting things in there.

Also save some time in compiling / tracking down.

Includes DX7 like synth DEXED: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 18-03-2016, 11:48 PM   #20
TL072
Master of the LFO

I just managed to get Helm ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
) working. Looks quite nice and has some interesting presets (2 minutes of fun experimenting).

Has been included on the best vsts of 2015 several times:
The Linux version installs an LV2 set of plugins. To create a vst version (on Ubuntu) at present requires the following steps:
  1. Clone the git hub repo -- git clone --depth 0 [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
  2. Install some headers and g++: sudo apt-get install libxcursor-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libfreetype6-dev libx11-dev libasound2-dev g++
  3. Download the Steinberg vst SDK ([Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
    ) and unzip
  4. open bash
  5. add an environment variable to the VST SDK: export export CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=$(where_you_put_sdk)/vst/VST3\ SDK/
  6. run make (and hope for the best): make vst
  7. copy the .so file to your vst directory: mv builds/linux/VST/build/helm.so ~/.vst/
  8. ENJOY!

Yes, that does look a bit complicated -- it is not as complicated as it seems once you are familiar with building software, but the creator of the plugin seems quite happy for feedback and suggestions so perhaps he will create a vst version for download with some encouragement.

I think you may have to install the .deb package to have the presets.

Also, I should say -- pm me or reply if you have trouble and I will see if I can help.

Behold the plugin in all its glory:

Last edited by TL072; 19-03-2016 at 12:06 AM..

Advertisements