Picture of your studio (pt.2)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

« Mastering Question | - »
Old 17-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Benwaa
Icon6 Picture of your studio (pt.2)

So the other thread is rather large and has images that are just too big for people with slow connections. With that in mind, please keep all images below 800x800 please.
if you don't they will be deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElecTrogiRL View Post
Influenced by the what hardware to you have thread....let's post pictures of our studios, or lack there of in my case. Let me know if there's a thread like this already!

I'll post mine later....laptop and speakers nothing impressive lol
But it'd be cool to see what you guys are working with!

Advertisements

Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Babaluma
Regular Freak
Babaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of light
Milan
MC Status: 510
Re: Picture of your studio (pt.2)

Do people still really have slow connections in 2013?
Babaluma is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babaluma View Post
Do people still really have slow connections in 2013?
Yes. It's not like the internet is free anymore.
(I believe that's what they call assuming privilege? Not eveyone has the same income, ISP, access to the internet, computer etc)

Besides, even people with moderate connections can get bogged down by a page with like 30 images which range about 10-20MB each at 2000x2000+ pixels, nobody NEEDS to download like 300MB of crap just to see a thread on a forum.

Last edited by PROton42; 17-05-2013 at 03:26 PM..

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
houserecords (30-06-2014)
Old 17-05-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Babaluma
Regular Freak
Babaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of lightBabaluma is a glorious beacon of light
Milan

OK, so I went to quite some effort to think about and type out a considered response in my last post in the earlier thread (which is now closed), so it would be a shame if the people who asked for it didn't get a chance to read it or reply.

Here's the post in full:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ
I know quite a bit about synthesizers and typically don't have trouble recognizing everything I see posted in here. But, I know fuck all about vintage outboard compressors and the like. Would you give us a rundown of what you have there and a thought or two on the pieces?

Thanks for the interest! There's nothing vintage in my studio, mostly all bought new in the last 5-10 years. No time for vintage gear crapping out on me with a client's deadline looming! Have had enough of that in the past with vintage synths...

There is a gear list, and appropriate links on my web site "Gear" page here:

HermetechMastering dot com backslash gear dot html (sorry, it seems I'm not allowed to post links yet).

But in brief:

ATC SCM 20 ASL Pro monitors. Outstanding, best/flattest I've ever owned, like a magnifying glass on the mix, would like to upgrade to the 50s at some stage, when I move to a bigger room.

Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Best/flattest I've ever owned/used/heard.

Pretty modern Carillon rack-mount PC with RME HDSPe AES for digi in and out, running Audiomulch, Samplitude Pro X, Adobe Audition, DDP authoring software, various plugins etc.

Crookwood mastering console/headphone amp/analogue VU meter/2 x DAC (one for transfer to the analogue chain, one for monitoring)/1 x ADC (for capture from the analogue chain)/monitor controller. An insanely versatile pice of gear (you can see the little remote in the middle, the guts are hidden in a 1u rack below). I could write reams on how it works, how amazing it is etc., suffice to say I can volume match 8 different sources (analogue or digital) anywhere in the mastering chain to within 0.25dB with the touch of a button... E.g. Makes A/B comparisons between before and after mastering a cinch, so you can be sure you're not pulling the wool over your own eyes.

Pair of Chandler Germanium Compressors (my favourite pieces of gear of all time). Insanely flexible, can go from clean to dirty or any shade in between. In mastering I never do more than 1.5dB of gain reduction. Impart a wonderful character to whatever runs through them!

Thermionic Culture Pullet EQ (all passive). Beautiful mid range shaping EQ, somehwat Pultec like. I modified the high shelf for a more gentle response. Can really make a vocal pop, and cut the mud/add clarity at the same time.

Chandler TG2 dual mic pre (make up gain for the Pullet EQ). Same pre used in EMI console used in the 70's for recording Abbey Road, Dark Side of the Moon, Queens first album etc. Has a great vintage character. Currently for sale, 1800 (I want to replace it with a GML which will be more suitable for mastering purposes).

Dangerous Music Bax EQ. Fantastic HPF/Low Shelf/High Shelf/LPF for gentle shaping. Works exceptionally well in combination with the Pullet. Sounds amazing, one of those boxes where you don't think it's really doing anything, but then when you bypass it you are like "Put it back, put it back!!!"... Great "finishing" tool.

The analogue mastering chain contains ten transformers, so with careful gain staging I can hit them more or less hard for different amounts of subtle saturation.

Avalon U5 DI (for the little bit of recording that I still do). It is exceptionally clean and has a nice passive EQ built in, great for synths, guitar or bass as it also has 30dB of clean gain.

Various other bits and bobs, guitar, bass, percussion etc.

I used to a own 24u of Frac Rack modular synth, but have since sold it all, as I've been focusing exclusively on mastering since 2009.

Happy to answer any more specifics!
Old 17-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Babaluma
Regular Freak
Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broton42 View Post
Yes. It's not like the internet is free anymore.
(I believe that's what they call assuming privilege? Not eveyone has the same income, ISP, access to the internet, computer etc)

Besides, even people with moderate connections can get bogged down by a page with like 30 images which range about 10-20MB each at 2000x2000+ pixels, nobody NEEDS to download like 300MB of crap just to see a thread on a forum.
no offence meant, sorry for stepping on any toes.
Old 17-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #6
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

None taken ^~^ It just needs to be explained.

Same thing happens on second life all the time, people don't understand how bandwidth works and don't realize they're wearing like 600MB of attachments and forcing everyone around them to download that 600mb every time they show up. X3

And a lot of people have "limited access" so when they hit a certain bandwidth limit or cap, they get charged extra.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
I/O_Madness (17-05-2013)
Old 17-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Babaluma
Regular Freak
Milan

cool, no idea what second life is, but i'll take your word for it!

must admit i hate long youtube threads that take forever to load, but pics don't usually seem to be quite as bad.
Old 17-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #8
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Thanks for that detailed reply.

I thanked the original reply in the other thread and now this one here as it deserves at least that many.

The only question I have is not related to the gear specifically. I'd like to know why it was that you switched from composing music to mastering?

Money?

Just curious, nothing wrong with making a buck or two.

Edit: oh, and what kind if work do you focus on? Is it genre specific or do you do anything?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
Babaluma
Regular Freak
Milan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Thanks for that detailed reply.

I thanked the original reply in the other thread and now this one here as it deserves at least that many.

The only question I have is not related to the gear specifically. I'd like to know why it was that you switched from composing music to mastering?

Money?

Just curious, nothing wrong with making a buck or two.

Edit: oh, and what kind if work do you focus on? Is it genre specific or do you do anything?
Interesting question! I always loved sound design and mastering (i.e. the first and the last stages of audio work), far more than the recording, arranging, and mixing side, which always felt somehow less creative and more of a chore to me, personally. I started making electronic music in 1992, and after about ten years I started doing some mastering work, and building a modular synth, both of which I found extremely gratifying. As the years went by, I accumulated about 24u of modular synth, and it spent more and more time just sitting there, looking absolutley fabulous, but not really getting used! As my mastering experience grew, I started to get more and more friends asking me to do mastering work for them, and so I then decided to start taking it more seriously, and started charging for my services in 2009. Since then, every year I've had more work and better quality or more interesting projects coming in, so I'm very happy with the way things are working out.

I finished selling off all the "regular" studio gear, (mixers, synths, effects etc.) last year, and put most of it into very high quality mastering gear. Once I can post links. I'll post my Soundcloud page etc., where you can hear some of my older ambient work. Not saying I'll never compose again, but these days I get far more pleasure from working with some extremely talented artists (and to answer your other question, I work with ANY style of music, and have mastered cheesy pop, rock, indie, prog, metal, psy trance, tehno, dubstep, folk, IDM, industrial and hip hop etc.), helping them make their music sound the best it can. And, like you say, I actually get paid for it, whereas in twenty years of making music and playing live, the most I ever earned was travel and beer money...

Mastering is my full time job now, I don't do any composition or mixing etc., and I feel I can provide a better service to my clients that way, by just focusing on the one thing. I'm basically just a hard core music lover, so really look forward to getting new projects in, in a different genre than what I have masered before. Did my first east coast hip hop album a few weeks back, which was great fun!

Gregg
Thanks to Babaluma
RFJ (17-05-2013)
Old 17-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #10
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn
someone better post some pics in that new thread pretty damn soon
Or what?

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Jazzyspoon
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 35995896

I went back and resized all my images. Sorry. It was completely insensitive of me. I just upload without regard most days. i'll try to keep them under the limit from now on.
Please post the limit in the thread title.

------------------
Jazzyspoon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Picture of your studio (pt.2).... [800x800 max limit on pics]

Jazzy - what controllers do you have set up on those?

------------------
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Jazzyspoon
Jazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MCJazzyspoon is a savage MC
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Jazzy - what controllers do you have set up on those?
Nektar P4 and the MPC Ren. The Mackie Big knob is actually for my monitor and headphone setup.

------------------
Old 17-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle

Did you choose the Nektar because it works well with a particular DAW?

------------------
Old 17-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #15
D_Davis
Seattle

Also - we need to get together and jam.

------------------
Thanks to D_Davis
PROton42 (17-05-2013)
Old 17-05-2013, 05:36 PM   #16
Jazzyspoon
Denver, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Davis View Post
Did you choose the Nektar because it works well with a particular DAW?
I picked it for a few reasons. The first being that a really good friend of mine is one of the developers. Also, I was a Cubase integration beta tester for them (now fully implemented in the most badass of ways). Also, love the look and feel of it. Anyone using Cubase, reason, or soon Abelton should consider this controller (or one of it's smaller/larger versions).
And, yes, we should definitely get together and jam sometime.

------------------
Old 19-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
golly gee wiz
MC Status: 329124900
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,163 Posts

Here is my studio in progress,

still have a way to go yet.....
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #18
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239

Cool, i can spot the nord but what are those other keys?

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11477954

one of them is an axiom 49

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #20
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
one of them is an axiom 49
There could be anything in that box . The colors on the top one look very Juno'ish, but not so much that display. Looks like you're investing a fair amount of time and money into this Rixtr. Looking forward to seeing it progress into an awesome studio space. Post many pics you must.

Advertisements

scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to scyn
I/O_Madness (20-05-2013)

« Mastering Question | - »