Post a pic of your modular!
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-20-2011, 10:22 AM   #1
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German
MC Status: 65762741
Post a pic of your modular!

I dont know how many of you own one, but Id like to see how youve arranged yours!

Advertisements

mischjok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269440858
Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,608 Posts
Re: Post a pic of your modular!

Up close:
and in the case (with cat):
It cost me slightly more than a grand so far, mostly made of second hand modules (third hand sometimes), wooden case by Ikea (about 15 in total).
In order:
First row: dual Lfo,2 VCOs, mixer, 24Db low pass filter, multimode filter, vca, 2 adsr, multiples
Second row: Dual attenuators, Ext in/Envelope follower, Plague bearer (bandpass filter/fuck shit up), another LFO, Noise generator.

Next thing will be a matrix mixer.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
mischjok
Guy with a computer
mischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MCmischjok is a savage MC
Not German

Can a modular be polyphonic in that one adds more oscillators?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.

I still haven't understood polyphony on modulars.
I know you'll need a midi to cv that supports poliphony (or Silent Sleepers software and module), but I still have to find out if you would also need more filters and vcas as well...

------------------
Old 09-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
koneyn
Sample Destroyer
koneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MCkoneyn is a savage MC
Belgrade
MC Status: 5985408

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischjok View Post
Just install moar cats.

------------------
koneyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Id also like to ask what do people with modulars use them for? For noise? Percussion? Bass lines?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #7
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651

Quote:
Id also like to ask what do people with modulars use them for? For noise? Percussion? Bass lines?
A modular is a synth, so they use it for whatever they need a synth for. Mr. Auto here is doing some gorgeous industrial noises with his modular, and he made us IDMfers a pretty cool bass drums packs made from sine waves that were recorded with his mod. So I guess it's pretty useful.

Oh yeah, given the insane routing options it gives, I guess it's pretty good for getting out of the beaten path and get crazy with random noises...

Plus, it's full hardware. Hardware sounds better. It's the law.

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Mischjok released a sample pack of glitches he made on the dark energy.
Another use for the modular is, for me at least, fx processor (filtetimg and overdrive) and adding warmth to samples. As I said before in another threaf, I could do the same for less money and space on an Evolver Desktop. Yet for me it was not the same.

------------------
Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I'm not 100% sure but I think Mischjok released a sample pack of glitches he made on the dark energy.
Another use for the modular is, for me at least, fx processor (filtetimg and overdrive) and adding warmth to samples. As I said before in another threaf, I could do the same for less money and space on an Evolver Desktop. Yet for me it was not the same.
I dont own a modular. I did release a sample pack with glitches designed on the MS-20 (VST version) and ARPE 2600 (VST version, as well).

Is it possible to create good, dense pads on a modular?

Is it possible to feed an audio signal coming from your computer (a voice recording) into the modular and modify it?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #10
Gotthavok
Soundwave Mangler
Gotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MC
Edmonton
MC Status: 526855

Quote:
yes, add oscillators. i have 2 mixers on mine for eventual polyphony but oscillators and filters are the 2 types of modules you do NOT want to cheap out on so it hasn't happened yet.
Gotthavok is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
Gotthavok
Soundwave Mangler
Gotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MCGotthavok is a savage MC
Edmonton

Quote:
I dont own a modular. I did release a sample pack with glitches designed on the MS-20 (VST version) and ARPE 2600 (VST version, as well).

Is it possible to create good, dense pads on a modular?

Is it possible to feed an audio signal coming from your computer (a voice recording) into the modular and modify it?
yes, there are a number of signal offsetting modules such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
that could take a mono signal and add density to it, otherwise simply sync 2 or more oscillators together, maybe add some slew for offsetting to get more depth. really there are endless possibilities depending on what you want to do with a modular.

and there are multiple ways to do the latter as well, personally i just output the signal through my audio interface to my modular, do what i want, then back in through the interface to the computer but there are other options such as [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
Gotthavok
Soundwave Mangler
Edmonton

pic of my rig is in this thread: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

haven't had a chance to add to it in a while, things got hectic, though i do play shows with mine
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
mischjok
Guy with a computer
Not German

Dude, thats a badass mask. Where would you buy it?

By the way, how heavy is your modular rack? I think its pretty badass of you to play with it on stage.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
apertureburn
apertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MC
MC Status: 5209190

sorry for the shitty cameraphone pic but here is where I'm at so far:

Next in will be a makenoise optomix. Once that happens I dont know what I'll do since I'll already have: midi/cv, triggers, gates, envelopes, lfos, wavetable osc (with digital effects and logic), internally modulating osc (with through-zero fm, sync, wavefolding, sub osc, and logic functions), a mixer, multimode filters, lowpass gates, and a stereo/panning vca.

Thanks to the ES-1, Silent Way, and some great multifunction oscillators all of that is in one 3u row of euro.

------------------
apertureburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to apertureburn
PROton42 (02-01-2014)
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #15
aeoR
Savage Mad Cunt
aeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MCaeoR is a savage MC
MC Status: 13019226

Quote:
Originally Posted by koneyn View Post
Just install moar cats.
Geez that's just the gear I was looking for..
aeoR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #16
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Less kids, more synths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apertureburn View Post
sorry for the shitty cameraphone pic but here is where I'm at so far:

Next in will be a makenoise optomix. Once that happens I dont know what I'll do since I'll already have: midi/cv, triggers, gates, envelopes, lfos, wavetable osc (with digital effects and logic), internally modulating osc (with through-zero fm, sync, wavefolding, sub osc, and logic functions), a mixer, multimode filters, lowpass gates, and a stereo/panning vca.

Thanks to the ES-1, Silent Way, and some great multifunction oscillators all of that is in one 3u row of euro.
I'm still on the line about the ES-1, I like to turn my knobs manually, but I'll surely have to get some digital osc sooner or later...

------------------
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 PM   #17
apertureburn
apertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MCapertureburn is a savage MC

i'm no analog purist, thats for sure

i was unsure about silentway at first as well, I kept my midi-cv and envelope modules for a while but then the flexibility and control over lfo and envelope shape/speed (and automating those) in sw got me hooked so i sold those modules and haven't missed them.

------------------
Old 09-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #18
jtregoat
Soundscaper
jtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MCjtregoat is a savage MC
New York City
MC Status: 3115731

this is cool and i am jelly of all of you
jtregoat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #19
apertureburn

hey automegeddon, did you change out the grey doepfer knobs for those black ones or did those come that way?

------------------
Old 09-22-2011, 02:01 AM   #20
neutral
Savage Mad Cunt
neutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MCneutral is a savage MC
Manchester
MC Status: 103011127

I am going to put a modular together using all the MakeNoise and Harvestman modules I can get a hold of, and it will be finished by the end of next year.

I keep repeating that in my head, as though it will actually happen.

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
New years day 2000 my guitar became self-aware. It kills fascists with three chords and the truth.
neutral is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote