Want to try out a new genre "dense microtonal"
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 19-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694
Want to try out a new genre "dense microtonal"

So today I got this idea for a "genre" that I'd like to try out.

It could be called "dense microtonal" and the reason is that the idea is to produce music that's mainly short in duration but still effective.

The reason, why I find this attractive is that this way one might be able to produce a lot of musical expression, but fit it into a short time as well as be able to save a lot of time in production by focusing only on short segments.

Anyone else interested?

We could e.g. work in songs that are under 2 minutes or preferably even shorter, like < 30 secs.

Advertisements

Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 01:18 PM   #2
Chozo Tull
IDMf Supporter
Chozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MCChozo Tull is a savage MC
Near Paris
MC Status: 14960
Re: Want to try out a new genre "dense microtonal"

Honestly I'd enjoy working on it or just listening to it because the idea sounds interesting but the new genre label is completely unwarranted

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boretron42 View Post
I will now only post pictures of my boner if I make it to 10,000 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
If you drop the beat it's just called noise, you trendy fuck.

Chozo Tull is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chozo Tull View Post
Honestly I'd enjoy working on it or just listening to it because the idea sounds interesting but the new genre label is completely unwarranted
It's just in order to identify it. Like a name.
Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 99650
Thanked 1,967 Times in 1,300 Posts

Will it actually be microtonal?

------------------
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (19-03-2017)
Old 19-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
EggplantPurple
Minor Glitch
EggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to beholdEggplantPurple is a splendid one to behold
Toronto/Tkaronto
MC Status: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blank^ View Post
So today I got this idea for a "genre" that I'd like to try out.

It could be called "dense microtonal" and the reason is that the idea is to produce music that's mainly short in duration but still effective.

The reason, why I find this attractive is that this way one might be able to produce a lot of musical expression, but fit it into a short time as well as be able to save a lot of time in production by focusing only on short segments.

Anyone else interested?

We could e.g. work in songs that are under 2 minutes or preferably even shorter, like < 30 secs.
I remember reading that Brian Eno said his musical career was greatly improved after he made the Windows start up theme because being forced to create a full musical idea that lasted 7 seconds opened up his work processes and changed the ways he approached composition. I like that idea and have tried making 2 really short songs. But I'm also not sure the genre name "dense microtonal" is accurate, although it does sound really cool as two word genre names go!
EggplantPurple is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #6
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519130
Thanked 6,564 Times in 4,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
Will it actually be microtonal?
This. And. #WhatIsYourObessesionWithGenreBro?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 04:01 AM   #7
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Pen Island
MC Status: 27310

This type of thread needs its own genre, now that I've ruminated over it 20 times.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
Chozo Tull (20-03-2017)
Old 20-03-2017, 04:14 AM   #8
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 26010

/r/genrewarriors @sparsemacrotonal #whatdoitcalled?

Hi there. I'm trying to locate a specific genre of music. It's expressly made by albino midget aboriginal natives of the former Republic of Macedonia, and it kinda goes bum-bum-um-BUM-de-de-WHAAAAAA-bum-WHAAAAAAA-de-BUM. If anyone know of this, please get a hold of me by PMing my secretary @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Thank you for your timely attention to this matter.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #9
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
/r/genrewarriors @sparsemacrotonal #whatdoitcalled?

Hi there. I'm trying to locate a specific genre of music. It's expressly made by albino midget aboriginal natives of the former Republic of Macedonia, and it kinda goes bum-bum-um-BUM-de-de-WHAAAAAA-bum-WHAAAAAAA-de-BUM. If anyone know of this, please get a hold of me by PMing my secretary @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. Thank you for your timely attention to this matter.
i'm sorry, but can you be a little more specific. because pre-Ottoman Empire, the albino midgets were from Pannonian Avars lineage, who tended to syncopate the 2nd BUM instead. not to mention the later day aboriginals from Vardar Banovina who liked to add an extra 5/11th of a measure at the end of all their 3rd phrases.

your vague description literally described thousands of subgenres. how are we supposed to communicate with each other like that?
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740905
Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,626 Posts

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280449
Thanked 1,158 Times in 745 Posts

PROTIP, mon ami:

You're got going to instantly get a "movement" going just because you made up a genre name. It's a lot more of a dynamic, organic process than that.

If it is a good idea, then just do it. If it's good enough or interesting enough, it'll inspire others to want to try to do something like it on their own.

Advertisements

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to candlesayshi
Oatbag (27-03-2017)