[EDM] Kyrpto - Airwaves
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-02-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
Kyrpto
Radial Developer
Kyrpto has a spectacular aura aboutKyrpto has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160
[EDM] Kyrpto - Airwaves

Let me know what you guys think about this. Any suggestions on cleaning the track up a bit?

Last edited by A.M; 03-07-2017 at 12:35 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [EDM] Kyrpto - Airwaves.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:04 AM   #2
Kaiuna
Granular Poster
Kaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud of
B.C.
MC Status: 1387
Re: [EDM] Airwaves

Hey dude, really nice track! The song flows really well and all of the part work melodically together.

As far as cleaning up the mix, I would just suggest sinking the drums a little lower in the mix. I feel like for this style the main focus should be all of the synth instrumentation. Right now I feel like the drums are cutting through a lot, which is usually a good thing. It might be nice to have them play a bit more of a supporting role though. If they start getting a little lost, you could put a transient shaper on the kick/snare to help bring up the attack.

EQing and/or filtering things drastically isn't always a bad thing. When you have two instruments that have similar timbres or crossover into the same frequency realm it's sometimes I good idea to give precedent to one of them, or carve out a space for each.

One of the hardest pieces of advice I was given for mixing that I'm still coming to terms with is to mix the instruments so they sound good together, not individually. Each instrument could be EQed to sound awesome while solo'd, but they may have frequencies that interfere with each other while in the mix.

Now I'm not saying that this is the case with your song, I'm just saying that it helped me to do things like slap a bandpass filter on an instrument without fear of ruining it. As long as it's still audible in the mix and has it's own comfy space.

Another thing you could do if you're willing to try something extreme is to cut sections of the synths out so only one is playing at once. This could make for some interesting counter-point in the melody that wouldn't be as apparent before.

I really hope this post doesn't come across as condescending, that's not what I'm going for! I really love this song and think it has some really beautiful synth work. I usually can't produce more melodic stuff so it's always something I wish I was better at. Good job!
Kaiuna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Trifonic - Terminal A
Old 03-03-2017, 02:12 AM   #3
Kyrpto
Radial Developer

Thanks for the feedback!

Are you talking about the entire drum or just the kick? I currently have a transient on the kick with a short attack and medium sustain, the snare has a short attack and short sustain.

I'm going to try what you suggested about cutting out synths. Perhaps even have one synth playing while the other is off and vice versa so it would be like they're talking to each other.

------------------
Kyrpto is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:53 AM   #4
Kaiuna
Granular Poster
Kaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud ofKaiuna has much to be proud of
B.C.
MC Status: 1387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrpto View Post
Thanks for the feedback!

Are you talking about the entire drum or just the kick? I currently have a transient on the kick with a short attack and medium sustain, the snare has a short attack and short sustain.

I'm going to try what you suggested about cutting out synths. Perhaps even have one synth playing while the other is off and vice versa so it would be like they're talking to each other.
I was talking mainly about bringing the kick down. I think the snare might be able to go down a touch. The hats/shakers sound alright on my monitors at their current level, but might need to be balanced if the other drums are brought down a bit.

I didn't realize you were already using a transient shaper, but now that you mention it the kick and snare do sound pretty snappy

Cool! Yeah, it would be kind of like a call and answer melody. Nice!

Stoked to check out more of your stuff. Following you on Soundcloud now

------------------
Kaiuna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:04 AM   #5
Kyrpto
Radial Developer

Any ideas on what genre this is btw?

Advertisements

------------------