What Was Your First Hardware Synth?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 01-03-2017, 04:01 AM   #1
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts
Icon3 What Was Your First Hardware Synth?

I had to laugh and cry (not really) at the same time to see this:

That's a Yamaha PSR-6, the very first synth I ever owned.
It was a birthday gift from my maternal grandmother.

It was such a long time ago sometimes I forget that I even ever had one.
But that was truly the first synth I had where I really started to get into synths. I started using it to overdub using a dual cassette recorder deck that had an auxillary input.

On most forums I told people my first synth was a CZ-5000, but that actually came several years later, and was the first EDITABLE synth I owned and purchased with my own money.

What was your first piece of synth gear? (photos please)

Advertisements

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 04:20 AM   #2
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9860
Re: What Was Your First Hardware Synth?

I started with something very similar from Yamaha, it was a fetching shade of dull grey from memory, button layout looks identical to the PSR6 though. My first real synth was a Micro Korg, still have it

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to dada_davros
Nystagmus (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:45 AM   #3
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8529230
Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,822 Posts

The Korg ESX was my first piece of gear. I'd like to own one again some day even. Very intuitive and inspiring.

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Nystagmus (02-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:20 AM   #4
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6901609
Thanked 3,448 Times in 2,087 Posts

It was a cheap Ibanez RX electric guitar that was basically a rip-off of a Strat... but shit.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34110

I've never really owned a proper synth, but this guy:

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #6
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25310

this bastard:
kurzweil k2000. It's actually a pretty good sounding synth, but its architecture is weird and not really as great as it's cracked up to be. Great in a layering kind of way, which is not my style. meh.

I later got a korg poly-800. that's a cool synth. limited but very cool sounding.

this was all about 10 years ago.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #7
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

^Not really in the same league, but I had a E-Mu Proteus (the first version and well after it came out). I was actually surprised how usable the sounds were once you got them sitting right in the mix...and certainly had a a fierce 90's rompler vibe going on...but I dug it. A pain to use compared to modern offerings.

If I hadn't found some sucker to take it off my hands for double what I paid for it, it'd still be in my rack getting some occasional love.
Thanks to relic
Nystagmus (02-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860

Ensoniq ASR-10 (with SCSI)

Still have it but the disks are so old, a little afraid to fire it up.

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Toothpinch
Nystagmus (02-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:04 PM   #9
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24660

Some old Casio thing. Phase modulation synth, couldn't get my head around and it was actually kinda shit in hind sight. Next was a Roland xp50 and that thing was great! Wish I still had it. Although I might not have the room for it anymore and sound editing was a bit of a pain. But I had it fully loaded with extra sound cards all techno oriented and it had tons of useable stuff on board and was cool to learn to play keys with, the key bed was good and it was fun to come up with ideas on.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
Nystagmus (02-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #10
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Some old Casio thing. Phase modulation synth, couldn't get my head around and it was actually kinda shit in hind sight. Next was a Roland xp50 and that thing was great! Wish I still had it. Although I might not have the room for it anymore and sound editing was a bit of a pain. But I had it fully loaded with extra sound cards all techno oriented and it had tons of useable stuff on board and was cool to learn to play keys with, the key bed was good and it was fun to come up with ideas on.
Was it a Casio CZ? I've heard a lot of wicked stuff come out of those synths on youtube.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #11
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 24660

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
Was it a Casio CZ? I've heard a lot of wicked stuff come out of those synths on youtube.
After a bit of research, yeah a cz1000. I guess it's not as bad as I remember it, I really had no clue at the time. The interface is terrible tho imo.

------------------
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
After a bit of research, yeah a cz1000. I guess it's not as bad as I remember it, I really had no clue at the time. The interface is terrible tho imo.
Interface made me never buy one though they are pretty inexpensive.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:44 AM   #13
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65410
Thanked 1,308 Times in 987 Posts
Icon2 ASR-10 in modern times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothpinch View Post
Ensoniq ASR-10 (with SCSI)

Still have it but the disks are so old, a little afraid to fire it up.
There a now some floppy diskette adapter/emulators that are actually flash drives. You could copy the OS disks into that and use the SCSI as normal. I forget what it's called, but I remember reading about it about 8 years ago.

I used to have some friends that had an ASR-10. Wow, what a wonderful piece of gear. It spoiled me and taught me a lot! So many good memories.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
Toothpinch (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:47 AM   #14
Toothpinch
Microknight
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1860
Re: ASR-10 in modern times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
There a now some floppy diskette adapter/emulators that are actually flash drives. You could copy the OS disks into that and use the SCSI as normal. I forget what it's called, but I remember reading about it about 8 years ago.
I had looked around a few years ago to see about finding a way to update the drives, the floppies were slow even back then - but yes, thanks - looked again and found what you are talking about.
I may have to give that a shot. Would love to hear it again.

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Toothpinch
Nystagmus (04-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 07:11 PM   #15
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47360

The first synth I ever touched was a Moog they sold in Radio Shack with the Realistic badge on it, I think. It might have been a rebranded Rogue, although I'm sure someone knows what that thing really was. My first synth was the Yamaha DX-100. As far as I know, Buckwheat Zydeco is the only musician that actually used one of the stock patch sounds on it. It was on the song "Space Zydeco" and that sound is as bad as you are thinking. Ha ha ha.

Here have a listen and tell me if you can find that sound.

Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #16
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532077
Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,207 Posts

Roland XP10.

Rompler, sort of workstation-y but lacked a sequencer, i used cakewalk home studio to sequence it. It accepted 16 channels of midi and had inbuilt drum kits so i was squared away. 2 realtime control sliders that i usually had set up to cutoff and resonance.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:35 AM   #17
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Some variation of this piece of shit. Bought it at Mars Music I think some time around 1998 for $699. I actually sort of still have it but it's at my mother in law's garage where it doesn't get in the way. I wrote some of the Colonizer stuff on it. It's just too damn big. Shit 90's sounds, not even the cool retro 80s stuff. we're talking shit you'd hear on a Saturday morning toy commercial in 1993. I tried to sell it in 2003 and a guy offered to pay me 25 bucks for it, then. So probably junk garbage at this point, but maybe in ten years it'll be worth 300 if these current trends are anything.

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #18
JasonTheKid
Learning The Ropes
JasonTheKid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

First one I bought second hand was a TB-303 for $30 in the USA. I had no idea what it was, but my mate told me to look for them when I visited the states. When I brought it back, he sh*t his pants. WHA?? You found one? When he showed me what it could do, I was hooked. Everyone wanted to buy it for me for serious money, but I soon discovered that I could simply bring it over to project studios and lend it to them while they made tracks. Basically, this turned into University for me. Learned more about making House than any real school could have taught me. Still have it to this day...
JasonTheKid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:08 PM   #19
eesn
Knob Twiddler
eesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond reputeeesn has a reputation beyond repute
London
MC Status: 4010

Casio SA-11 : ]

------------------
eesn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #20
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269454508
Thanked 2,618 Times in 1,769 Posts

Roland SH-32

Advertisements

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote