Creating MIDI applications using Unity game engine
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-18-2017, 10:41 PM   #1
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 18260
Creating MIDI applications using Unity game engine

Keijiro Takahashi is an amazing developer who works for unity and has been releasing a lot of stuff on github for controlling MIDI input and output with unity

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Basically what this means is that you can create a 'game' or something that has your MIDI input dictating some control within the 'game' and you could have a unique and complex MIDI output based on something happening within the 'game'
You could make sequencers that use game physics to influence the output for example, or very complex automation that uses game physics as well

I'm going to try to make a few apps for this including a sequencer, a semi-automated filter control for knob controllers, and a semi-automated x-y filter for a mouse
If anything comes to fruition I'll post it on here, but I also thought it'd be good to share this with you guys in case anyone is interested in making their own apps with this. It seems like hardly anyone knows that you can do this with Unity, I haven't seen anyone else put anything out for using Unity with MIDI, aside from stuff on Keijiro's github.

Advertisements

stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to stray medicine
Jaded (02-22-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Taaz
Radial Developer
Taaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MC
North Dakota Eh
MC Status: 25908
Re: Creating MIDI applications using Unity game engine

Would be cool to make a guitar hero replica for a keyboard controller. I found a few educational softwares that do this (using them to learn piano ), but they're not very fun

------------------
Taaz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 AM   #3
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 18260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taaz View Post
Would be cool to make a guitar hero replica for a keyboard controller. I found a few educational softwares that do this (using them to learn piano ), but they're not very fun
that might be cool, but it might be more interesting to create unique musical tools with it than making something that has already been done
it has a lot of unexplored potential imo
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #4
Taaz
Radial Developer
Taaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MCTaaz is a savage MC
North Dakota Eh
MC Status: 25908

I toyed around with this a little bit, it's really easy to use much like the standard Input class that Unity offers. Somebody more creative than me would have to come up with musical tools to use midi input with Unity Engine, all I can think of is for gaming or visual experiences

Advertisements

------------------
Taaz is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote